Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
I guess thats a matter of opinion. When i get my Ph.D i will be somewhat offended if someone doesnt address me as Doctor whether he is an MD or not.
Agreed...But I think its important to differentiate the setting the word is being used in. A Ph.D is NOT to be called "Doctor" in a clinical setting such as a hospital. It is confusing to patients and that person is not qualified to diagnose and treat patients, only to do research. However, in an academic setting it would be highly inappropriate to not address you as Doctor, as it is a title you have rightfully earned...

I suppose in a teaching/university hospital, a Ph.D might be called 'Doctor' by other attendings/residents/students/nurses etc, but still not by patients.

In a casual/social setting, it is HIGHLY inappropriate to introduce yourself as "Dr.________,"whether you be an MD/DO/Ph.d/DC/DPM/DMD, and implies that you are trying to establish superiority over the person you are talking to. Basically, if thats how you introduce yourself in non-clinical and non-academic settings, YOUR A JERKOFF.