Thread: WorkOut Post OP

TexN343 is offline Associate Member

WorkOut Post OP

I would like to post my work out program and see what you guys think. I just had an ACL reconstruction 2/20/06 so I would like to know what you guys would think be safe. here it goes.

Day 1- chest,biceps
    Bench press 3sets 6-8reps
    Incline bench press 2sets 6-8reps
    Dips w/ weights 2sets 8-10reps
    Barbell curls 3sets 6-10reps
    dumbbell curls 2sets 6-10reps
    chin ups 1 set failure

Day2-rest&eat

Day3-Back,calves
    reverse grip chins w/ weight 3set 8-10reps
    lat pull to front neck 2sets 8-10reps
    BB bent-over row 2sets 8-12reps
    standing calf raises 3sets 8-12reps
    BB seated calf raises 2sets 8-12reps
    BB shrugs 1set failure

Day4-rest&eat

Day5-shoulder,triceps
    power clean 3sets 6-8reps light?
    shrugs 2sets 6-10reps
    reverse grip military 3sets 6-8reps
    side lats 2sets 8-10reps
    Lying Close-Grip Barbell Triceps Extension Behind Head 2sets 6-10reps
    skull crushers 2sets 6-10reps

Day6-rest&eat

Day7-Thighs.... light due to surgery but how light?
    squats 3sets 8-12reps
    leg presses 2sets 8-10reps
    deadlift 2sets 8-10reps
    Iron Cross 2sets 8-10reps

day8-rest&eat
    then repeat this cycle the next day. I was wanting to know how light I should do some of these exercises due to my surgery. I weigh 170 about 12%bf and im 22. I lift to look good . I have full range of motion and they used the quadrupled hammy for the ACL.I am walking without a limp and can climb stairs like be4 accident. Any comments appreciated.
    Last edited by TexN343; 03-12-2006 at 11:03 PM.

hauss man is offline Member
    what did your therapist or doctor say

Also no physical therapy

My doc said he was going to set me up an aggressive PT session but I haven't got the call for that yet. I was more concerned with riding my dirtbike again so I forgot to ask him about weight training. I know I will be doing one leg leg presses and no weighted squats plus biking. I just tried to powerclean 135 and I heard and felt a pop about 4inches above my knee on the backside and outside. I tried calling the doc but no answer. No swelling or pain.
    Last edited by TexN343; 03-12-2006 at 11:08 PM.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    calm it down man, get back into this slow!!no power cleans , not yet, you reallyhave to consult with your doc before you do anything. upper body work, go crazy, but with lower, i wouldnt be tying to squat or deadlift or do cleans for some time at least with any real weight. i would stick more toextensions and curlas and weightless squats and work from there, consult your doc before you do any damage. ASAP

Yeah I think I got after it too soon I have been down because I haven't been able to do the things I used to .The most helpful workout for my knee was my calf day. I'm thinking of riding my bike instead of doing thighs. I havn't been able to get in to the doc for him to check out the popping noise but no luck I was on hold for an hour b4 I gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by TexN343
    Yeah I think I got after it too soon I have been down because I haven't been able to do the things I used to .The most helpful workout for my knee was my calf day. I'm thinking of riding my bike instead of doing thighs. I havn't been able to get in to the doc for him to check out the popping noise but no luck I was on hold for an hour b4 I gave up.
    yeah, rest and heal, no hurry to get back, usethe bike, walk , keep the motions simple, also, are you going for any physio therapy?

I start therapy next monday. I just got the call today. I did therapy be4 the surgery and I mostly did the bike,unweighted squats, light leg press, and the occasional massage. They gave me elastic bands to work with but I find them almost useless because I do the exercises too easily. Also I was thinking about doing a cycle in about 6-8months. You said on my other thread a cycle of deca and test E but I have no sources for either and can only find test cyp. Would this be okay or is deca a must with the knee problem?
    Last edited by TexN343; 03-14-2006 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexN343
    I start therapy next monday. I just got the call today. I did therapy be4 the surgery and I mostly did the bike,unweighted squats, light leg press, and the occasional massage. They gave me elastic bands to work with but I find them almost useless because I do the exercises too easily. Also I was thinking about doing a cycle in about 6-8months. You said on my other thread a cycle of deca and test E but I have no sources for either and can only find test cyp. Would this be okay or is deca a must with the knee problem?
    deca is the one you need, the test. i recomended only because you need to take deca wit a test or it will kill your libido

Thank you. I guess I will try and pick up some in Cancun. Which brands should I look for down there or which should I stay away from? Is this the place to ask that or should I post this somewhere else?

you cant rwrite the nmaes of UGL's on here, i dont know much about what is over the border, but i dont thinkcancun is the place toget anything, it will be way overpriced in a tourist area, especially there, it isnt like tijuana

dnap is offline New Member

acl rehab

Alot of what you can do depends on the type of acl repair you had, did you have a patellar tendon graft. Yes the bands are easy, but connective tissue and the bone plugs, grafts, heal at a much different rate than muscle. Much Much Slower. You are not even a month out of surgery, so most of your leg training at this point should not resemble any of your prior lifting

I had the quadrupled hamstring acl reconstruction. I forgot what the exact name of the plug was called but the doc said it looks like a T that looks like a l be4 it extends into the T shape and can't be pulled out. It is also biodegradable. There is a screw that hold all 4 strands up into the T and presses it against the bone walls. I was told this is stronger than the patella tendon graft. The doc said the patella graft is 1.3 times stronger and the quad hammy graft is 1.5 time stronger than the original tendon. There is also a greater chance of arthritis in the patella. Don't quote me on this as it from what I remember the doc said.

dnap is offline New Member
    Well at least you dont have to worry about patellar tendonitis from the PT site. But this does limit your Hamstring stengthening exercises for some time. Most protocols for non wt lifters (average out of shape folks) is four weeks- no hamstring RX at all. But Leg Presses and Squats are hip extension exercises which do stress the Hamstrings albeit not as much as leg curls you have to be careful b/c if you stretch out the graft site you have a loose knee which ends up causing you an early knee replacement later on down the line. Did you have any meniscal damage with this injury. Also what is your weight bearing status.

Look I am a weight lifting meathead too, so I can understand you wanting to get in the gym, by all means you should be in the gym. You are just going to have to baby your wheels for probably three months post op. Your really only get on good shot on these ACL repairs so you want it to heal right. So high reps (20 plus - to stimulate tensile strength in the connective tissue) and light weight, wear the recumbant bike out.

Plus find a PT who works out, b/c a lot of them dont understand us meatheads. b/c you will need to limit your range on a lot of your exercises.

Thread Information