Tommy Gunn is offline Member

My PT gave me some advice today

He said when I go back to lifting, that if I strengthen not only the pecs, but also strengthen the areas around it, I will be alot stronger and less likely to tear this thing again when I bench press, box, or wrestle with someone.

He said that if I strengthen my serratus, lats, front and side delts, traps, rotator cuffs, tris, bis, forearms, abs, obliques, and even my lower back, that I will take alot of the stress and pressure off my pecs when I perform the activities I mentioned. He even said building my lower body up will help if I wrestle or tackle someone because I will be using my legs more than my upper body.

Is my PT accurate in what he told me?

Bigun is offline Senior Member
    Rotator cuffs should be the number 1 priority in that list in my opinion. The ability to retract the shoulder blades and maintain the stability of the shoulder socket (glenoid) will help minimise the chance of reinjury.

Slow and steady wins the race in terms of your rehabilitation!

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigun
    Rotator cuffs should be the number 1 priority in that list in my opinion. The ability to retract the shoulder blades and maintain the stability of the shoulder socket (glenoid) will help minimise the chance of reinjury.

Slow and steady wins the race in terms of your rehabilitation!
    i agree, rotator work is essential

Yeah but, I didn't injure my rotator cuff, I injured my chest.

Yes but they are opposite muscle groups!!!! Bicep/Tricep imbalances make you prone to elbow injuries, hamstring/quad imbalances the same at the knee............

So by strengthening my other muscles, I will greatly minimize the risk of retearing my repaired and healed pectoral major muscle/tendon?

I'm not sure I understand this. I'm not saying it's wrong. In fact, that's good news if it's true seeing that I'm glad I can do something that will minimize the risk of retearing this,but...can someone explain this to me?

Yes exactly, you grasp the concept now. The human anatomy is made of of a series of muscle chains. Basically by looking after the muscles that work with (agonists), assist (synergists) and against (antagonists) the muscle group you have damaged (your pectorals) you will be doing evrything you can to minimise reinjury in the future provided you train/rehab correctly

Bigun, when I had my surgery in May, my doctor only reattched 80% of the muscle/tendon. He said the other 20% was too scarred to do anything with (because it was 7 weeks between injury and surgery). He said not to worry though, all you need is 50% reattached for a successful repair to get most if not all of your strength back. He's a very nice guy but I'm nervous he is lying and is just telling me what I want to hear.

My question to you is, is my doctor lying and just telling me what I want to hear? I asked alot of the guys on the board this and they seem to think that 20% is no big deal and I should be back to normal.

Not to be a negative person, but I don't see how they can say that I'll be back to full strength if 20% of my muscle/tendon isn't attached. What do you think? Why did my doctor say all you need is 50% reattached for a successful repair?

I'm 26 years old, I hope this isn't the end of the road for my weightlifting.

Just replied with a PM

Thread Information