SuperChicken1 is offline Junior Member

Umbilical and Midline hernia... maybe more...

I am scheduled for surgery at the end of september for the umbilical and midline hernias but part of my quesiton is this...

My abdomen looks like I am 6 months pregnant and is not symetric (rights lower side is larger. My body fat is pretty low - like 10% based on caliper measurements and the rest of my body looks pretty lean. Is there something else I should suggest that the Doc consider (?) as they are going to do surgery any way.

In a previous post I heard 6-8 weeks before resumign lifting ... is that still the case with the above types of hernia?

Thank you in advance,

SC1

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member
    will the doc use mesh ( has he /she said) and will this be an open repair or done laporscopy
    Last edited by cj1capp; 08-30-2006 at 04:31 PM.

Yep, gonna make it bullet proof with kevlar mesh and it will be open surgery, so far.

SC1

WHEN A HERINA IS REPAIRED THE HERINA SAC IS IDENTIFED AND EITHER REDUCED(PUSH BACK IN) OR LIGATED( CUT OFF) THE FLOOR OF THE HERINA IS REPAIRED EITHER PRIMARLY(THE EDGES SOWEN TO EACH OTHER) OR WITH MESH , WITH THE MESH BECOMING THE NEW FLOOR. THIS CAN BE DONE OPEN OR DONE VIA LAPARASCOPY (WITH A CAMER AND SEVERAL LITLE PORTS. YOU ARE HAVING THE OPEN VERSION WITH MESH AND YES THE DOWN TIME FOR HEALING IS ABOUT 6 TO 8 WEEKS. CHECK OUT WITH YOUR DOCTOR CHECK OUT THESE PICS , GOOD LUCK AND YOU WILL BE IN THE GYM AGAIN SOON http://health.allrefer.com/health/he...ir-series.html

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    I thought i got a hernia once doing leg raises for abdominals, it hurt alot on the bottom right side of my abs, the pain went away after a week and hasnt come back for over a year now, was it just a muscle pull? what does a hernia feel like man?

And are you ever able to go back to lifting and sports the same as you were before?

Quote Originally Posted by KAEW44
    I thought i got a hernia once doing leg raises for abdominals, it hurt alot on the bottom right side of my abs, the pain went away after a week and hasnt come back for over a year now, was it just a muscle pull? what does a hernia feel like man?

And are you ever able to go back to lifting and sports the same as you were before?

I believe it happened when I was doing a weighted stretch toe touch with a 45lb bar standing on a step so I could go past my toes... It felt like alien came out of my abdomen... I couldn't stand or move for a while... I thought I was going to have to call for help to get the bar off my toes where I had to set it. The pain subsided and really it is not even uncomfortable... just ruins the look of my abs. For others they are painful often... some people have to push it in so that they can use the bathroom!

SC1

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    No man i didnt feel anything popping out, its been over a year now and i've been training since then without any weird feelings or pain so i think i just mught have pulled something in that area. But i will be careful in the future because i dont want to get one.
    Does having strong abs help reduce the chance of getting one?

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    I have an Umbilical Hernia as well but its only about a qaurter to half an inch wide. The Dr said to not worry abou it amd keep am eye on it. I had no pain at all, I didnt even know until a Dr noticed it doing a completely unrelated exam

Quote Originally Posted by Kale
    I have an Umbilical Hernia as well but its only about a qaurter to half an inch wide. The Dr said to not worry abou it amd keep am eye on it. I had no pain at all, I didnt even know until a Dr noticed it doing a completely unrelated exam
    KEEP YOUR EYE ON IT THE BIGGEST RISK IS THAT A SMALL LOOP OF BOWL PUSHES UP AND TWISTS ON ITS SELF AND DIES. THEN ITS SUGERY FOR DEAD BOWL AND A HERINA REPAIR.

Actually I was told that the small ones are more dangerous than large ones because the bowel can poke out get strangulated and bad things happen from there where in a large one it looks nasty but won't trap the intenstine.

Go figure...

SC1

Met with the surgeon today. The good news is that for an umbilical hernia I only have to stay out of the Gym a few days and will have no restricitons after a month. The bad news is the midline tent is not a hernia jsut a thinning of the intersection of muscle on my a**omen ... he says his 5yr old daughter has it too and it can be fixed but is considered cosmetic so of course Kaiser won't cover it.

Anybody else conquer this one?

Thanks,

SC1

Thread Information