bigwillystyle is offline Associate Member

just had labrum surgury

its been two weeks since ive had surgery on my right shoulder.
    labrum had three tears in it and my ac joint needed "polished up".

in my follow up visit the doc told me no pt for at least four more weeks,
    its been five months since ive been able to work out with my upper body, and god knows how long befor i can do it again.

do you fellas have any expierence with this sort of thing? any words of wisdom? will i be 100% again? how long will it take?

thx for any and all advise

bws

bump

peump is offline Senior Member
    i had this same surgery in september. im just now back in the gym lifting light, relative to what i was lifting.

when you start rehab be conscious of your biceps tendon. once inflamed its a bitch to get back to normal.

keep icing the shoulder.
    sleep in a recliner.
    and stretch as often as the doc will let you.

oh ya.....get used to the pain because it will be there for a while.
    i still deal with some pain after 5 months

thx for the info...
    ive been sleeping in my recliner now for three weeks it sucks..i do ice everynight when i sleep..& plenty of vicatin& ibuprofen...hoping to recover to100%

bws

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    i had two of these, left and right. sept 1sr and nov 22 where my surgery dates.

My right was first, i had a SLAP tear involving the bicep. I still feel it a bit, but it lessons and lesson as time goes on. When the bicep is involved, you cant do bicep work for 4-6weeks. After that you will still feel sensation when ever flexing your bicep anaginst resistence(like a slight tugging). Its about gone at 8 weeks i noticed. Now i just can transient sensations in that area during subtle movements. This must be inflammation. So i keep nailing the fish oils. Driving may inflame it a little or alot depennding. No big deal.

My left is at the 12 week mark today it was more like, but not exactly a "bankhart" lesion. This does not involve the bicep where it connects into the labrum like the SLAP. Being that you had 3 tears, you may have both a SLAP and a bankart type tears. I had 2 tears in the left, but the one area was just "fraying" so he just smoothed that off and sutured up the other real tear. I coul start LIGHT bicep work (1lb) at 4 weeks and has zero sensations in the bicep.
    After 4 months, 16 weeks, the doctor said i cold start lifting like a man agian. So i have 4 more weeks. If it was just my right, i could have been lifting already.
    Im surprize they are holding you on therapy so long. you should expect quite a bit of atrophy, but dont shit yourself, itl come back. I started therapy the day after, just making little movements and having the PT move it for me.("passive movement") and was like that for the first few weeks. Maybe cuz you have 3 tears they are holding you. For instance on my right tear i had to watch bicep flexion, on my left i had to watch external rotation. Different tears, diff rehab. Still similar though. However, one doctor in the group i went to i heard from one PT holds his pateints a week on therapy, becuase he believes it slows the healing. Sounds plausable to me, but the therapis said they get great results with day after surgery therapy. All in all, it might not matter. The therapy you start with if starting the day after, is so small little tiney movemnts, i dont feel it disrupts anything, but the main thing is getting it out of the sling a few times a day to keep it from tightening up to much. And that tghtening factor is HUGE in the therapy process. That tightening of the muscles from being in the sling foe so long id what most of the therapy is initially. Infact, you will swear the sensation you are feeling are bad for your repair when the therapist start doin stuff with you. For instance, when i first pressed a weightless(likw .5lb) stick in a bench press-like position, it felt as if the shoulder muscles were slowly tearing, like a searing, burning sensation. But wathc after you attempt the movement several times...it lessens, and lessens, and disapaers. Just some things to expect in therapy bro.

right now im doin pulldowns with 50lbs, pressing with 50lbs, and rows with 40. right bicep curls 10lbs for 20 reps, left 5 lbs for 20. Over head press 10lbs x 30with right, 3x 30 lbs with left, at week 12. PT says well do 60lbs on pulls and presses next time, which he said might be my last therapy session.

Thread Information