herit1974 is offline New Member

Question torn cartalage in knee

hello ive just found out that ive torn the cartalage both sides of the left knee cap could any one tell me what they might do and how long i will not beable to train for ive got to see surgeon on the 18th april thanks lee

Tip
    Tip is offline New Member
    That is kind of vague (meniscus or articular), and what are you training for, and how did you tear it.

kfrost06 is offline Banned
    I have the same thing! I have torn cartilage in the left meniscus. I had the MRI last week and saw the doc yesterday. Here's what he told me. I have to get arthroscopic surgery which takes 30 - 45minutes, just 2 small incisions, one for the camera and the other for the toll that they use to cut out the cartilage. My big question was, how long will recovery be? Being vague he said everyone varies but he did say likely it could be 4-6 weeks but no weights on my leg for 2 months maybe longer. He also said the meniscus cartilage teat is rare most people don't get a tear there and I don't know how I did it!

GL with yours and let me know how it goes, maybe we can compare notes.

hi i done mine playing football what happens is the knee cap pops to one side this happened about two years ago.im training to compete next year hopfully in the nabba so im bulking at the moment,trainings good leg pressing squats ok wont get full details till ive seen the surgeon

Quote Originally Posted by herit1974
    hi i done mine playing football what happens is the knee cap pops to one side this happened about two years ago.im training to compete next year hopfully in the nabba so im bulking at the moment,trainings good leg pressing squats ok wont get full details till ive seen the surgeon

Are you saying you can still work out your legs with the tear? I can workout my hamstrings and calves but I can not do squats or leg presses at all, it hurts like the dickens if I try and will continue to hurt for up to a week afterwards.

orton4 is offline Member
    i tore my meniscus when i was 18 and the guy said it was one of the worst tears hes seen... i did it wrestling and wrestled on it for a month before surgery....depending on the way it is torn.. either vertically or horizontally the doctor can repair one of the two, sorry i forget what way its torn that they can repair.... when they repair its longer to heal but is better on arthritis in the long run... i got surgery on mine and they removed the meniscus and iw restled on it about 3 weeks after.... BUT it was not fully healed and it was hard to do... the only reason i did it was becasue i was senior and didnt wanna miss the states and stuff... i was ranked nationally so i just sucked it up

It's amazing what you can do when your young, Now I am 30! and I take much longer to heal. How's your knee now? Do you have any residual affects? does it bother you at all now? I met one guy that said he's knee is 99% after the surgery and he can do everything, run, basketball, work out with squats. I am hoping I can at least run again so I can burn off this layer of fat I am starting to get.

Thanks for your input orton!

orton4 is offline Member
    ummm about 6 months after surgery when i started wrestling at a d1 school it didnt bother me but after awhile of workin out on it it would bother me.. just like get real sore and ache a lot.... now its fine i dont do much on it... but it pops a lot, doesnt hurt but cracks allt he time... when i started wrestling right after surgery though it wasnt the same at all, i was ten times slower... but ppl were amazed i still went out there... and again if you get the surgery where they repair it, it takes a longer time to heal and more time to stay off of it... my one friend on my team the year before, it was his senior year, he tore his meniscus and was out for about 3 months.... he ended up winning states that year too.

Red face got results

ok so i went to see surgeon on wednesday he said ive got big tear in catalage which he said is nothing serious be back training within 2 weeks it the second operation which he said is going to put me out rebuilding the crucial liagament which he says could put me out off training legs for 8weeks

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member
    8 weeks will fly by mate, and then once you get back to leg training you will only have to do like 4 sets of squats to batter them for the first few weeks.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by herit1974
    ok so i went to see surgeon on wednesday he said ive got big tear in catalage which he said is nothing serious be back training within 2 weeks it the second operation which he said is going to put me out rebuilding the crucial liagament which he says could put me out off training legs for 8weeks
    whcih cruciat ligamnets. anterior ,postereior,lateral or medial?

Red face

hi i think its either the anterior or the lateral not sure meeting went quick and i just thought shit not going to be able to compete next year

Thread Information