DCannon is offline Knowledgeable Member

Parathyroidectomy

Hey guys, on Tuesday I have to go for surgery to remove my parathyroid glands because they are over acting. The surgeon said because the parathyroid glands can also grow on your thymus he was going to remove that as well. I haven't been able to get a hold of him so I thought I'd turn to you guys. I want to know how much will removing my thymus affect my immune system?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Did he mean the thyroid gland by chance. They Thymus is in the chest and in adults has a greatly reduced effect on immunity vs that of childhood. In fact most of the Thymus is replaced by fatty deposits as a person progresses into adulthood.

No he said it's possible for the thymus to have parathyroid glands on it too. They are already removing my parathyroid glands that are on my thyroid, I was just wondering how important is the thymus as you get older. I'm 28 btw.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DCannon View Post
    No he said it's possible for the thymus to have parathyroid glands on it too. They are already removing my parathyroid glands that are on my thyroid, I was just wondering how important is the thymus as you get older. I'm 28 btw.
    Hmm, never heard of that. Makes sense though both glands are derived from the same embryological tissues.

It has been classically taught that the Thymus gland has relatively low importance in the mature adult. I have since heard by an anatomy professor that this may not be the case and the thymus has more importance in the adult than previously thought.

Thanks MuscleScience, I'll have to keep trying to get a hold of my surgeon and ask him some more about it.

I appreciate your quick responses.

Blog Entries
    Thanks MuscleScience, I'll have to keep trying to get a hold of my surgeon and ask him some more about it.

I appreciate your quick responses.
    No problem man, keep us updated this is very interesting I have never heard of the thymus being affected by parathyroid conditions granted I am not a MD but I have had a lot of pathology and never heard of this.

Good luck to you.

MS

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    No problem man, keep us updated this is very interesting I have never heard of the thymus being affected by parathyroid conditions granted I am not a MD but I have had a lot of pathology and never heard of this.

Good luck to you.

MS
    Just a quick update, surgery went well. I'm at home resting now taking a ton of calcium pill, 64 to be exact. I need 32g of elemental calcium/day right now. Not fun to choke down after surgery on my throat.

They did remove my thymus and I asked the surgeon and he said it was just fatty tissue except for a large parathyroid gland! So there was actually a parathyroid gland there.

Hopefully I can get back to normal quickly now and get back in the gym, I hate not working out. Oh well.

Blog Entries
    Just a quick update, surgery went well. I'm at home resting now taking a ton of calcium pill, 64 to be exact. I need 32g of elemental calcium/day right now. Not fun to choke down after surgery on my throat.

They did remove my thymus and I asked the surgeon and he said it was just fatty tissue except for a large parathyroid gland! So there was actually a parathyroid gland there.

Hopefully I can get back to normal quickly now and get back in the gym, I hate not working out. Oh well.
    Glad to hear it went well, You will be back to choking down nothing but protein shakes here shortly...

Thread Information