Thread: Torn labrum

scott_ripken is offline New Member

Torn labrum

I torn my labrum and have a hill sach fracture. I am having surgery on the May 12th. What can I do to get back to 100%. How long will i be out? Is there anything I can do to speed this process up. Please let me know. Thanks

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    You know you don't HAVE to have surgery for that right? You can manage it...I've lived with mine for over 10 years now. The hill sachs is not a fracture at all...it is just where your humeral head hit your glenoid (shoulder bone) when it dislocated...it leave a little divit...it is not unstable by ANY means and you don't HAVE to have it repaired...

scott_ripken is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyX;45***35
    You know you don't HAVE to have surgery for that right? You can manage it...I've lived with mine for over 10 years now. The hill sachs is not a fracture at all...it is just where your humeral head hit your glenoid (shoulder bone) when it dislocated...it leave a little divit...it is not unstable by ANY means and you don't HAVE to have it repaired...
    Yeah, he told me that I didn't. My labrum is laying in the bottom of my shoulder. I do not have any part of it still intact. It looks like a piece of wet pasta in the bottom of my shoulder on the MRI. I am 26 years old and surgery seems like the best option. The hills Sachs could lead to more problems later in life if not fix. According to my doctors notes I have significant shoulder instability. I am happy that you could live with yours, but I CAN NOT manage mine.

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    I hear you bro..and im not doubting your doctor...I mean he has the films and I don't...I tore mine at 15 playing football...im 24 now and it still acts up but I've continued to play football and rugby without major problems...now as for your actual question lol....it won't be an easy rehab but if you keep with it and actually do ur exercises and such you can expect to be feelin good in a couple of months

Listent to no one excpet your doctor. If you want a second opinion see a different one. Coming on here and asking random anonymous people to give you medical advice when they:

1) Have no medical training.
    2) Have no access to you physically to preform a physical exam.
    3) Have no access to the imaging that has been done on you.

..is crazy. You might as well be asking them how good the dinner you made tonight tastes. They are not *there*.

I post on another forum meant for doctors, and there is not a single person there who, even with their training, would feel they could adequately diagnose or recommend treatment based on an internet posting. What kind of advice do you think you will get here?

jfalco is offline Member
    I've been living with it in both shoulders for 16 or 17 years. I know a couple of people who had theirs surgically repaired and after seeing what they went through and how little improvement resulted, I will pass. My ROM is fairly limited, especially in my left shoulder, but I can manage it just fine and as long as I'm careful, the pain is mild or nonexistant most days. The key is to keep your shoulder muscles strong so that they hold it in place and provide the stability that your labrum should.

Yours sounds like a very servere tear, so listen to your Doc, but get a few opinions. Some doctors are a little surgery happy if you ask me. The first doc I saw for mine wanted to give me a cortisone shot to get me through lacrosse season and then do surgery in the off season. I was in eigth grade. I got a second opinion. Second doc perscribed rest and then physical therapy. I went with second doc's opinion and 17 years later I am still living with it just fine. Every once in a great while my shoulders get so sore that I can't move my arm. But that is very rare.

sammyjankis is offline New Member
    I tore mine my senior year in high school and ended up playing the whole year with it. I was told to do physical therapy, but that didn't help so I got the surgery. I would agree with the posts above, get some different opinions.

But if you do get the surgery (which it seems you will since you have a date) I would just recommend doing everything the docs and therapists say.

I got surgery in March (i think it was the 23rd) and I was still feeling some pretty bad decreased mobility up until September, but I think i really needed some more therapy. After that i was fine until I re-injured it (nothing too serious) in January because I was so impatient and wanted to get back to my prior strength.

But now I am 21 and I am pretty good. I think I need to be more strict with keeping the rotator cuff muscles in shape.... The only problems I have are feeling like a am not working the same on both sides, even with dumbbells. And my bicep seems to be weaker on the surgery side (because my tear was right where the bicep tendon connects to the labrum).

Hope that helps. And I agree with BrokenBricks, don't listen to me over a doctor, I am just trying to let you know about what its like.

shootdeep is offline Member
    I tore mine and nicked up the humerus head as well. I tried to live with it and finally gave in and got the surgery. It was the best decision I've made. They removed the labrum, cleaned up the humerus and I've never looked back. The only thing I can tell you for sure isthat you'll always have to be careful with that shoulder. If i feel any joint pain with a particular movement I don't do it..especially under a load. Good Luck

Cephas84 is offline Associate Member
    i have torn labrum in both of my shoulders my left isnt so serious and i dont need surgery the right on the other hand is a whole other story i am having surgery june 23rd to repair it because it tore my longhead bicep tendon in the process but if that didnt happen i would of left it alone like i did with my left the decision is up 2 u but if the tendon is undamaged id leave it unless it constantly is dislocating on you

methodical is offline New Member
    I had a torn labrum and had surgery to repair from playing rugby, I had dislocated my right shoulder bout 6 or 7 times was getting fed up with it coz I couldnt play contact sports without it popping out, so just thought to myself bugger it im just going get it done im now 2 and half months post surgery and rehab is going real good starting to get sum good strength back.

Thread Information