Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herniated L5

Buildingmuscle is offline Associate Member
    Thanks guys. Helps alot to hear from people who's got knowledge in this area. Makes making choices on what to do alot easier
    I Really appreciate it too.

I went to my family doctor to get medicine for pain. I was asking him about my herinated disk He told me I wouldn't be lifting weigts anymore. And he mentioned like bend over with weight
    I know my very first post on this thread asked about still being able to bodybuild. Just asking for more opinions.
    Is it posible to compete competitively with this type of back injury if so does anyone know any bodybuiders that do

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by Buildingmuscle View Post
    I went to my family doctor to get medicine for pain. I was asking him about my herinated disk He told me I wouldn't be lifting weigts anymore. And he mentioned like bend over with weight
    I know my very first post on this thread asked about still being able to bodybuild. Just asking for more opinions.
    Is it posible to compete competitively with this type of back injury if so does anyone know any bodybuiders that do

Does anyone know anyone or is someone that has been through this and still bodybuild competitively? Anyone at all

whiteowl is offline Associate Member
    Hey Mate,

I had herniated the disc on between C6 & C7. Fought surgery for 8 years...wish i had not wasted 8 days getting surgery now. It was a lifesaver in more ways than one. They scrape out old disc, put a cadever bone in its place and then screw a titantium plate into 6 & & to maintain the spacing. Worked great. Back in action in no time.

whiteowl

Well I done all I could to aviod surgery and nothing helped, so I went ahead and had the surgery yesterday. When I got up from the recovery bed, I had no pain at all in my leg, the first time in 6 months my leg didn't actually hurt. Man it feels awesome

My surgery was a Mircodiscectomy. Today is the day After my surgery. My back is sore where they cut it. But other than that I can move now, what a change , feels good

JasonT is offline Member
    Congrats...thats good to hear. Good luck with the recovery.

Any word on how soon you can be back in the gym?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonT View Post
    Congrats...thats good to hear. Good luck with the recovery.

Any word on how soon you can be back in the gym?
    thanks man,
    not sure yet on when I get to return to the gym Doctor said I should be able to return to work within 6 weeks.

I've been up walking most of the day pain free for the first time in 6 months

whiteowl is offline Associate Member
    Congrats Building. Glad to hear you went through with it. Great days are ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteowl View Post
    Congrats Building. Glad to hear you went through with it. Great days are ahead.
    Thanks man, I feel so much better and feeling better everyday

RAGE is offline New Member
    Sorry to hear that .. I heriated my l4 and l5 3 different times in 2001.. Heavy goodmornings without a belt did that..500lbs+ for reps..

I did not have surgery and it got better over the years.. I trained at Westside Barbell and used the Reverse Hyper and pulled a sled to rehab my back.. now I don't squat anymore, and really don't have any more back pain like years ago.

Best of luck to you.. its not the end of lifting for you with a back injury.. trust me..just have to train smarter ..

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    Quote Originally Posted by AryanNation1488 View Post
    Sorry to hear that .. I heriated my l4 and l5 3 different times in 2001.. Heavy goodmornings without a belt did that..500lbs+ for reps..

I did not have surgery and it got better over the years.. I trained at Westside Barbell and used the Reverse Hyper and pulled a sled to rehab my back.. now I don't squat anymore, and really don't have any more back pain like years ago.

Best of luck to you.. its not the end of lifting for you with a back injury.. trust me..just have to train smarter ..
    great machine

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkey View Post
    this is exactly what I have, and have had now for a little over 5 years

it's not chronic, and only 'acts up' about once a year, usually if i haven't taken enough rest days....I feel the pain radiate into my left leg and ass cheek, and sometimes in my hip flexors....it's more of an incredibly uncomfortable feeling than a painful one, but a sudden movement does cause a sharp pain

when it does start bothering me, I take 2-3 days from all exercise, eat very very clean (lots of EFAs), and I'm good to go with moderate lifting and cardio by the 4th-5th day...

when I first got hurt (herniated L5), I was essentially paralyzed from the inflammation, and had to be taken out of my house by ambulance on a board....I was reall f***ed for about 2 weeks, but the Medrol helped tremendously with the inflammation....pain-killers did essentially nothing but make me forget i was in pain LOL

ever since, I've taken a totally different approach to training:

-LOTS of core work....helps you use your core as opposed to your lower back, and this has really really helped....more bodyweight exercises in general

-cardio 6 times a week....keeps me loose

-one week off lifting every 6 months
    That sounds almost identical to mine. I was paralyzed from the waist down. Pain killers did nothing for me.

I had surgery 2 weeks later. The pain was the same from day one until the day of surgery.

Mine was not just Herniated, it was ruptured and you could see pieces in the MRI so he had to go in and clean it up.

I still have pain but NOTHING like before. I have been working more and more on core exercise and it helps a little but not nearly as much as I would like. The last 3 years it's SLOWLY getting better but I am 100% glad I did surgery.

BTW there are a few people here who compete and had back surgery. There are a lot of people who do HEAVY lifting professional who also had surgery.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 03-21-2010 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AryanNation1488 View Post

thanks for the encouragement. I will be so glad to get back to training again

matt77 is offline Member
    Man its good to hear your doing good after the surgery. Im still not doing so well. The Doc thinks my L4/L5 may have herniated now after he fixed the L5/S1. Oh well, L4/L5 had a large bulge so it was a ticking time bomb. I hope that it did go ahead and herniate so I can just get it fixed now and be done with it for good.

Quote Originally Posted by matt77 View Post
    Man its good to hear your doing good after the surgery. Im still not doing so well. The Doc thinks my L4/L5 may have herniated now after he fixed the L5/S1. Oh well, L4/L5 had a large bulge so it was a ticking time bomb. I hope that it did go ahead and herniate so I can just get it fixed now and be done with it for good.
    Aww man, sorry to hear that!! Hopfully you can get this taken care of and get back to a Normal life again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information