chi
    chi is offline Knowledgeable Member

after doing heavy straight bar curls i get the worse pain in my forearms for days

Anyone ever experience this? It really is painful and inhibits me from lifting heavy weight for my biceps. I have had it for many yrs and after a week it goes away but is there something i can do to prevent it or get rid of it all together?

Would love to hit bis 2x a week once after back and a second time with tris. Help me out guys!!!

Bigd89 is offline Senior Member
    I would drop it altogether. Try heavy straight bar preacher curls locking out at bottom and contracting at top.

chi
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigd89 View Post
    I would drop it altogether. Try heavy straight bar preacher curls locking out at bottom and contracting at top.
    and why is that? what do you mean locking out at the bottom and contracting at the top?????

Have you ever done preacher curls?...how about a "full range of motion"?

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigd89 View Post
    By locking out you take the stress of the muscle/tissue, no reason to fully lock out your arms, all it will do is develop tendonitis, especially when you're lifting heavier weights.

Chi,
    Bend at the waist a little and keep constant stress on your biceps, you will have to reduce the wight a little.

Straight bar is out for me as well, gave me Golfers elbow which lasted months.

chi
    Quote Originally Posted by terraj View Post
    By locking out you take the stress of the muscle/tissue, no reason to fully lock out your arms, all it will do is develop tendonitis, especially when you're lifting heavier weights.

Chi,
    Bend at the waist a little and keep constant stress on your biceps, you will have to reduce the wight a little.

Straight bar is out for me as well, gave me Golfers elbow which lasted months.
    thanks terraj it sucks because i can only do light weight and my biceps are the weakest point of my body

And biceps are my strongest point...just giving you my opinion of bicep training.

chi
    bigd have you ever had the pain i am talking about?

edit and i know how to train that isn't the question here thanks though

No. Heavy bb curls are my number 1 exercise for building bicep strength and mass.
    Preacher curl second....

chi
    ok then your not helping me whatsoever

Lol k...sorry bro

turk1968 is offline Associate Member
    Can you put your hand flat on say a desk with your fingers pointing towards you and the front of the forearm away from you and recreate the pain?

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Any reason you cant use ezcurl bar? Many workout partners ive had over the years cant do staright bar curls due to dicomfort ranging from wrist to elbow. I have no issue , but many do. Can you simply use ezcurl? My gym has ez curl bars you can load up with plates...not just preloaded ones.

Also , another thought, how hard are you gripping the bar?

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    If the exercise causes pain, why would you continue doing it?

I don't straight bar curl.

The off times that I do it, I keep it light.

There are no truly 'essential' exercises.
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

chi
    Quote Originally Posted by turk1968 View Post
    Can you put your hand flat on say a desk with your fingers pointing towards you and the front of the forearm away from you and recreate the pain?
    just tried it and no turk why do you ask i am curious?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Any reason you cant use ezcurl bar? Many workout partners ive had over the years cant do staright bar curls due to dicomfort ranging from wrist to elbow. I have no issue , but many do. Can you simply use ezcurl? My gym has ez curl bars you can load up with plates...not just preloaded ones.

Also , another thought, how hard are you gripping the bar?
    ez curl is a bit better but i do tend to get pain anyways, though i have not just done ez curs in a while without also doing straight batr. I will try and report back thank you!!

As far as grip it hurts whether i grip hard or light, already tried that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos View Post
    If the exercise causes pain, why would you continue doing it?

I don't straight bar curl.

The off times that I do it, I keep it light.

There are no truly 'essential' exercises.
    Nark I guess you are right i will try ez curls like inkedup mention but will discontinue straight bar thank you.
    Last edited by chi; 04-05-2011 at 12:31 PM.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Have you tried doing light weight high rep straight bar curls at the end of your bicep programme, sometimes this can help if your experiencing pain with heavy bar curls. Also try pre-exhaust methods before doing compound movements and implement an intense stretching protocol which will give amazing gains if done correctly.

chi
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    Have you tried doing light weight high rep straight bar curls at the end of your bicep programme, sometimes this can help if your experiencing pain with heavy bar curls. Also try pre-exhaust methods before doing compound movements and implement an intense stretching protocol which will give amazing gains if done correctly.
    marcus can i read on these pre exhaust methods and intense stretching protocol?

turk1968 is offline Associate Member
    Alot of elbow problems come from simple over use of the forearm muscles which leads to tightness in the forearm causing irritation of the tendons on the inside of the elbow leading to either tennis elbow / golfers elbow and epicondilitus . stretching of the forearm/ bicep region can reduce the tightness / pressure on the tendon which allows the irritation to go away. Intense massage can help alot. The fact you can still curl means there cannot be any serious damage at present but its a warning of things to come if the situation is not remedied .Try plenty of intense stretching / massage . Ive had plenty of foreaqrm / elbow problems being a carpenter for 20 years and training .This has helped me alot .

chi
    Quote Originally Posted by turk1968 View Post
    Alot of elbow problems come from simple over use of the forearm muscles which leads to tightness in the forearm causing irritation of the tendons on the inside of the elbow leading to either tennis elbow / golfers elbow and epicondilitus . stretching of the forearm/ bicep region can reduce the tightness / pressure on the tendon which allows the irritation to go away. Intense massage can help alot. The fact you can still curl means there cannot be any serious damage at present but its a warning of things to come if the situation is not remedied .Try plenty of intense stretching / massage . Ive had plenty of foreaqrm / elbow problems being a carpenter for 20 years and training .This has helped me alot .
    turk good to know thank you for this info!!!

Thread Information