Randy_Mar is offline Associate Member

Thumbs up Wrist Pain + tournament in 10 days!

Been experiencing some wrist pain over the last 2 weeks. Not sure if I tweaked it during a workout, or armwrestling practice. From doing a little research, it seems like the pain is coming from the area of the Scapholunate interval (where the small bump is, on the top of the wrist)

You can view the pic attached to see where I'm talking about.

Has anyone had this same pain? If so, how did you treat it...ice, rest, exercises, surgery, etc..? It hurts mostly when I do a "pronation" motion with it.
    Each day the pain is different. It's not too bad, but it does affect my performance! I was just hoping for a miracle cure in 10 days, in order for me to compete in my armwrestling tournament.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    With just 10 days out I'd just rest it man. Ice and heat with some light stretching. Don't take a chance on making it worse.

jtoups1214 is offline New Member
    i have the same pain

Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post
    With just 10 days out I'd just rest it man. Ice and heat with some light stretching. Don't take a chance on making it worse.
    Yea, I think i'll go that route! I always take off exactly 1 week before a tournament, to let everything heal. So I'm hoping that it does me some good for my wrist. It doesn't hurt in the gym (luckily) but hurts during armwrestling practice because of the motions my wrists do.

I spoke to my cousin last night, who works for an Ortho. He has me set for an appointment next Tuesday. He said they have this "miracle" shot that can last up to 90 days. It contains lidocane, marcaine, and celestone. Not sure if it's "Hype" or if it will actually work for me, but I'm willing to give it a try! I'll be curious to see how it works in my situation!

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Best of luck man. Let us know how you do.

It looks like I may have had an old scaphoid fracture after my x-rays yesterday. Also, my scaphoid is positioned at 90 degrees (the Dr. said 60 degrees is normal)
    Unlike most Dr.'s he didn't say "stop armwrestling." He said it shouldn't get any worst. He basically said surgery is an option but for being out 6mths, and the low "fix-rate" percentage, e wouldn't suggest it just yet.

Also received a site injection in the wrist, for pain. That needle seemed way too big to be going in my wrist, ha!! Felt pretty awkward but Doc said it should feel better by tomorrow and Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy_Mar View Post
    It looks like I may have had an old scaphoid fracture after my x-rays yesterday. Also, my scaphoid is positioned at 90 degrees (the Dr. said 60 degrees is normal)
    Unlike most Dr.'s he didn't say "stop armwrestling." He said it shouldn't get any worst. He basically said surgery is an option but for being out 6mths, and the low "fix-rate" percentage, e wouldn't suggest it just yet.

Also received a site injection in the wrist, for pain. That needle seemed way too big to be going in my wrist, ha!! Felt pretty awkward but Doc said it should feel better by tomorrow and Friday.

Pain started again on Friday, in the same spot. I'm guessing the shot wasn't too effective. Couldn't compete with my left hand.

I started researching a bit more, and discovered the possibility of a ganglion cyst. Granted, my knot on the top of my wrist is much smaller than alot of the pics I've seen online. But the pain is coming from that particular spot.

Anyone else have any experience with these types of cyst?

jseek is offline Junior Member
    3 things
    1) sorry about ur competition
    2)Yes heard of ganglions being surgically removed. They contain fluid and serve no purpose that I am aware of other than to #^*^* people off. I believe they are connected sometimes to the fluid In the wrist joint...so sore wrist might make them bigger, rest ,general wrist ice and antiinflamatories should relieve.
    3) some times the wrist bones...small things, 8 of then make up the wrist movement, and get stiff / stuck and "out of place". PT friend of mine manipulates them back into normal movement often, the lunate being a commonly locked up bone. And seeing as it is a slave to what it sits on, if ur elbow is stuff and funky, the wrist can get locked up easier..... To see if the wrist joint might benefit from manual treatment sit, relax ur right arm, place the palm of the hand between ur knees... And while relaxing the arm/wrist, and while squeezing the hand with the knees, lean back gently,,, if the traction on the wrist feels "nice" some manual work on the wrist may help...

Thread Information