Shoulder Injury Prevention/Rehab: Exercises, Form Medical Aids, Books, & Supplements

This post is not to replace any professional medical advice and isn't supposed to be detrimentally relied on.

I hope all my bro's-in-iron take care during the colder autumn & winter months to prevent injuries.

Some of the stuff included are ways to point u in the right direction for supplements & other aids that can help prevent & cure shoulder injuries...or books to help you learn more about this common type of injury.

Shoulder injuries are the MOST common bodybuilding injury. One of the best things for older people like myself (41 y.o.) and you to do is to go to a chiropractor every so often--I think every 1-2 months, but I'm not sure. The chiropractor will put the body in balance. The medical/pharmaceutical community wants to prescribe medication and make lots of money. Chiropractor's should charge only $35-$50 for an adjustment. The initial/consultation visit will be a little higher cos some chiropractors take x-rays.

Chiro's use electro-stimulation to relax your neck, your lower back, your traps, your shoulders. They stretch out the bod and then push it back into alignment. I highly recommend not only an NT, but a chiropractor--cos a chiro is all-inclusive--the entire bod. An N.T. is a Neuromuscular Therapist. 4-time Mr O Jay Cutler uses 1. The guy's in L.A., Calif. & Jay schedules a meeting with him, when he's in the area. Jay Cutler has been blessed 2 be injury free for the most part during his career, cos his N.T. stretches hard to reach muscles and tendons and ligaments. These areas take longer to heal, because they don't get any air or heat, they are subcutaneous areas. The N.T. stretches Jay's bod better than Jay himself according to the dvd "Jay Cutler: From Jay to Z". The stretching of Jay's big mammoth muscles, tendons, joints, etc., gives them both better elasticity, heat, and very important: BLOOD FLOW. These rotator cuff exercises mentioned here & elsewhere are designed to give heat to these areas so that better blood flow & circulation occurs. It's this increased blood flow that prevents & helps cure injuries.

Ultra-sound deep tissue massage with an applicator is done by N.T.'s, physical therapists, & chiropractors. This ultra sound is different than the type used on women to determine if a fetus will be a boy or a girl. It's deep-tissue ultra sound massage using sound waves. I've had it done on my shoulder and after treatment it felt 90% better when before that all my heating pad and shoulder exercises didn't work too well. I highly recommend ultra-sound deep tissue therapy!

Physical therapy is only body-specific and is not as thorough on the whole body as a chiropractor is. Plus, ask your chiro (after u get a referral for a chiro from your fam doctor) about a cutting edge treatment called "Laser." This is a little expensive, but excuse the pun--it's ultra-sound on steroids x times better!

Get yourself also a McDavid hot/cold gel pack shoulder strap pad about $40 on amazon.com. WARM UP WITH A HOT GEL PACK BEFORE TRAINING AND like my physical therapist recommends put ice on the shoulder after working out cos it helps with healing. I thought ice was only immediately after an injury, but it also is a big step in speeding up recuperation and healing muscle fiber tears post-workout.

Also "Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff" by Jim Johnson, PT (physical therapist) can also be purchased on amazon.com. There are like 500 reviews with at least a 4 star rating on this book. I have it myself. You will learn about your rotator cuff, its function and also what exercises to do prior to training, during training and how to add strength and HEALING WARMTH to this weak part of the bod--the rotator cuff of the shoulder joint.

Finally, when you are doing flat bench presses don't do full range of motion don't bring the bar all the way down to your chest. Also don't completely lock-out. When you were younger you could do full range of motion for a better stretch, but it's a real strain on the little rotator cuff joint when your older.

Also when you do upright rows you know how you bring the bar down and kind of let it hang at the bottom of the movement? Don't do that anymore. That's a big strain on the rotator cuff, too. You don't want to hang anymore even though it seems kind of natural. Like also when you do dumbell shoulder shrugs at the bottom, there's a tendency to let that dumbell hang and pull & (maybe rest) before bringing it back up to your ear, BUT *that really stresses the rotator cuff joint in the shoulder--don't do that.

*Also a full-range of motion on especially the bottom part of a flat bench press is NOT recommended. This may cause a deeper stretch or burn, or a deeper full range of motion, but it wreaks havoc again on the tiny rotator cuff joints.

Glucosamine vitamins and fish oil vitamins are very helpful & effective for joint health.

Other "medicines" like Tb 500 & Deca -durabolin are also effective. The below is more info. on synthethic supplement Tb-500 (I'm only recently learning about this myself).

Tb 500 is an amazing joint supplement & dosage: (I think it’s an injectable).
    For those not Familiar with TB 500, TB-500 is a synthetic version of the naturally occurring peptide present in virtually all human and animal cells, Thymosin Beta 4 (TB500). It is a first-in-class drug candidate that promotes the following*:

Endothelial (blood vessels) cell differentiation Angiogenesis (growth of new blood cells from pre-existing vessels) in dermal tissues
    Keratinocyte migration
    Collagen deposition; and
    Decreases inflammation.
    One of TB500 key mechanisms of action is its ability to regulate the cell-building protein, Actin, a vital component of cell structure and movement. Of the thousands of proteins present in cells, actin represents up to 10% of the total proteins which therefore plays a major role in the genetic makeup of the cell.

As you already know, and it's hard to do especially when a gym is busy/crowded, & you want to pop in on a piece of exercise equipment before some dude and his 3 other friends get on there at rush hour....BUT I can't stress this enough...."Get into the habit of incuding warm up sets as part of & INTEGRAL to the workout. Always do 1-2 warm up sets with like 15 reps."!!!

I'm grateful to have helped my fellow lifters in a small way cos like I said shoulder probs are a very common bodybuilding injury--the rotator cuff is an INHERENTLY tiny, weak part of the body, and I'm happy to help because I myself also want to repair my own shoulder problems and to prevent further.

The mind is your best tool..mind over matter!...you can and WILL get your shoulder as close to 100% better!

*The recently stated is 1 of the core tenants of bodybuilding (1 of bodybuilding's many useful principles called VISUALIZATION = clearly visualizing an outcome or future goal in detail before it comes true. This valuable principle should apply not only to adding more poundages but also to getting your body healthier after an injury.

Take care everyone, and let us know of your shoulder injury prevention progress & rehab at another post.
    Last edited by MakeUpLostTimeFast; 12-01-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I see you mentioned TB500. This is an under rated peptide that I'm beginning to believe that every weight lifter needs to include in their arsenol. Yes, prevention is important, including proper warm up and proper form. But when you do get injured, nothing speeds up recovery more than TB500.

Here is my log:

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...n-s-TB-500-log

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I see you mentioned TB500. This is an under rated peptide that I'm beginning to believe that every weight lifter needs to include in their arsenol. Yes, prevention is important, including proper warm up and proper form. But when you do get injured, nothing speeds up recovery more than TB500.

Here is my log:

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...n-s-TB-500-log
    thanks. im really excited about this myself and have copied your link for review at a later time. tb 500 seems to be like hgh UNREAL... a miracle drug...almost like how hgh is like the fountain of youth if you're not predisposed to a history of cancer in your family

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeUpLostTimeFast View Post
    thanks. im really excited about this myself and have copied your link for review at a later time. tb 500 seems to be like hgh UNREAL... a miracle drug...almost like how hgh is like the fountain of youth if you're not predisposed to a history of cancer in your family
    HGH does more than TB, including some injury repair. TB only does injury repair, and a better job, at a much less cost, than gH

wow...thanks again...how great is that...nobody wants to choose expensive shoulder injury as an option...plus surgery always has a big risk...it's like the great unknown.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeUpLostTimeFast View Post
    wow...thanks again...how great is that...nobody wants to choose expensive shoulder injury as an option...plus surgery always has a big risk...it's like the great unknown.
    yes but sometimes it's still necessary. I spent a good year trying PT, A.R.T. and a few miracle (not so much) drugs. The TB has been helping post OP but I dont think it would have done much good before due to multiple tears, rips, shredded areas, bone spurs and other stuff floating around in there that never showed up on the MRI with contrast dye.

I do suggest everyone spend at least 6 months trying to recover and if it has not improved then consider the alternative but if it's getting better then keep going.

Brick is offline Member
    Wow great read. I tore my rotator cuff when I was 18 (26 now) so I know all about pain in that area. I have learned how to properly warm up (or at least works for me). I do this warm up routine every day except for legs.

10lb dumbbells

door openers (hand held at 90degree angle perpendicular to body and move to side like opening door x 10 reps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3864114000.jpg 
Views:	1477 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	129949

Overhead tricep extensions x 10

Standing door openers (brace elbow and go from parallel to upright)
    135 bench x 10reps

12lb dumbbells (repeat doors and overhead and standing)

135 bench x 15

15lb repeat

185 bench x 10

I will look into the cold and heat. I can see that working well.

Also I just recently starting seeing the chiropractor for my neck and upper back. What would you suggest I get them to do or what to ask to help me and my back shoulders etc? The 'reset' you speak of

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka View Post
    Wow great read. I tore my rotator cuff when I was 18 (26 now) so I know all about pain in that area. I have learned how to properly warm up (or at least works for me). I do this warm up routine every day except for legs.

10lb dumbbells

door openers (hand held at 90degree angle perpendicular to body and move to side like opening door x 10 reps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3864114000.jpg 
Views:	1477 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	129949

Overhead tricep extensions x 10

Standing door openers (brace elbow and go from parallel to upright)
    135 bench x 10reps

12lb dumbbells (repeat doors and overhead and standing)

135 bench x 15

15lb repeat

185 bench x 10

I will look into the cold and heat. I can see that working well.

Also I just recently starting seeing the chiropractor for my neck and upper back. What would you suggest I get them to do or what to ask to help me and my back shoulders etc? The 'reset' you speak of
    thanks for the kind words. door openers are very popular. i do them myself. i just wouldn't do too many of them on chest and shoulder day before working out. it's not good to pre-exhaust them before bench presses & overhead presses. u can though, warm them up, just don't exhaust them prior to working out those 2 bodyparts which heavily use the rotator cuff.

when you go to a chiropractor what should be included is: 1) 1st ultra-sound usually done on the back of the neck and the shoulders & traps, but it can also be done on the lower back. a gel will be applied before the ultra-sound applicator is used in a circular motion over the tense or injured areas.

then 2) electrical stimulation is used sort of like a TENS unit (dont ask me wht the TENS acronym stnads for). It's a pulse of electricity using a pad is applied to the same mentioned areas above (injured areas or tense muscle areas).

but i would ask the chiropractor or remind him/her, you will be giving me ultra-sound and electrical stimulation before you adjust me right? (or before you make an adjustment, right?)

then also ask the chiropractor about "Laser." Which is like I mentioned a new technology that's supposed to be better than ultrasound. It's really good.

when the chiropractor is loosening up your neck & back prior to clicking it into place or prior to making an adjustment, "smile" the act of smiling makes the tense muscles more relaxed and ready and loose for an adjustment.

also, I'd suggest if u have back problems or neck problems, get either inversion boots or one of those inversion seats shown on TV: hanging upside down is supposed to do wonders for a person's spine which encompasses the neck and back.

but i'd mention that to the chiropractor to see what his thoughts are on that...and which inversion table he suggests that you buy.

the chiropractor obviously will not give you any synthetic medicines that are poisonous or addictive. all of this is natural. that's the best part.

when warming up, you're not only preventing injuries, you're getting what's called the "sinovial fluid" working--which is the body's natural lubricant...and that also prevents injuries.

good luck!

oh 1 more thing: the electrical stimulation is a pulse of electricity that doesn't hurt. it just further loosens the muscles prior to an adjustment by the chiropractor.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    yes but sometimes it's still necessary. I spent a good year trying PT, A.R.T. and a few miracle (not so much) drugs. The TB has been helping post OP but I dont think it would have done much good before due to multiple tears, rips, shredded areas, bone spurs and other stuff floating around in there that never showed up on the MRI with contrast dye.

I do suggest everyone spend at least 6 months trying to recover and if it has not improved then consider the alternative but if it's getting better then keep going.
    thanks for ur input. that's good that there's a surgery success story

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I'm about 6 months post op now and just starting to lift good again. I'm far from 100% but just over 50% from where I was before injury as in weight but 70%+ as in condition so I'm ahead of the game in a way.

I know if I didnt have surgery I would not be anywhere near where I am at now but it has not been fun by any means.

Brick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeUpLostTimeFast

thanks for the kind words. door openers are very popular. i do them myself. i just wouldn't do too many of them on chest and shoulder day before working out. it's not good to pre-exhaust them before bench presses & overhead presses. u can though, warm them up, just don't exhaust them prior to working out those 2 bodyparts which heavily use the rotator cuff.

when you go to a chiropractor what should be included is: 1) 1st ultra-sound usually done on the back of the neck and the shoulders & traps, but it can also be done on the lower back. a gel will be applied before the ultra-sound applicator is used in a circular motion over the tense or injured areas.

then 2) electrical stimulation is used sort of like a TENS unit (dont ask me wht the TENS acronym stnads for). It's a pulse of electricity using a pad is applied to the same mentioned areas above (injured areas or tense muscle areas).

but i would ask the chiropractor or remind him/her, you will be giving me ultra-sound and electrical stimulation before you adjust me right? (or before you make an adjustment, right?)

then also ask the chiropractor about "Laser." Which is like I mentioned a new technology that's supposed to be better than ultrasound. It's really good.

when the chiropractor is loosening up your neck & back prior to clicking it into place or prior to making an adjustment, "smile" the act of smiling makes the tense muscles more relaxed and ready and loose for an adjustment.

also, I'd suggest if u have back problems or neck problems, get either inversion boots or one of those inversion seats shown on TV: hanging upside down is supposed to do wonders for a person's spine which encompasses the neck and back.

but i'd mention that to the chiropractor to see what his thoughts are on that...and which inversion table he suggests that you buy.

the chiropractor obviously will not give you any synthetic medicines that are poisonous or addictive. all of this is natural. that's the best part.

when warming up, you're not only preventing injuries, you're getting what's called the "sinovial fluid" working--which is the body's natural lubricant...and that also prevents injuries.

good luck!
    No, thank you for the kind words and amazing follow up post!

As for pre exhaustion I understand what you mean. I believe I have found my so called sweet spot between warming up and working out/pre exhausting them. I dont always hit my 10 or 15 reps. If they are feeling tight and I feel a bit of pain I stop and proceed with caution. The overhead extensions are more for my triceps as I have a tendency to pull those as well.

On a note: as my rotator cuffs got stronger so did my supporting muscles around them (delts) as I was able to work out harder longer and with heavier weights. Then as my delts got stronger so did my cuffs. A harmonious relationship.

My next chiro appt is on Saturday, I will ask about the ultrasound and electro when I am there. I have only had one appt so far. She worked on my traps and neck and adjusted my neck and upper back. That day I worked out chest and did cardio and had no neck pain WHATSOEVER, which was fvcking awesome! In my neck I have lost 40 degrees (looking left) and 20 degrees (looking right) of mobility. Road to recovery!

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Great thread,

I am one of the older guys here at 57 and 5 years ago suffered tears in both shoulders. However since incorporating supraspinatus specific excersizes weekly to balance the shoulder musculature as well as doing a thourough warmup of 10 minutes of rowing and another 10 minutes of light work at every angle for the shoulders prior to any shoulder workouts I have been 100% pain free in my shoulders.

I feel that due to the construction of the shoulder and its reliance on soft tissues for load bearing, it is really unique in its need for thourough warm-ups to fully engorge all the connective tissues that make up almost the entire support system of the shoulder.

Really great to see another thread on this subject as the importance of taking care of the shoulders can not be overemphasized.

Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    Great thread,

I am one of the older guys here at 57 and 5 years ago suffered tears in both shoulders. However since incorporating supraspinatus specific excersizes weekly to balance the shoulder musculature as well as doing a thourough warmup of 10 minutes of rowing and another 10 minutes of light work at every angle for the shoulders prior to any shoulder workouts I have been 100% pain free in my shoulders.

I feel that due to the construction of the shoulder and its reliance on soft tissues for load bearing, it is really unique in its need for thourough warm-ups to fully engorge all the connective tissues that make up almost the entire support system of the shoulder.

Really great to see another thread on this subject as the importance of taking care of the shoulders can not be overemphasized.
    that's a very, very good point. people need to balance their rear deltoids and upper back because of heavy bench presses the musculature is inclined to go forward and there's an imbalance. I think a good exercise to balance out the musculature of the shoulders is bent over dumbell deltoid rows. you start out holding 2 dumbells bent over shoulder length apart, torso parallel to the ground like a barbell bent over row position and then pull up the dumbells so that they are parallel to the floor. you squeeze at the top of the exercise and really hit those rear deltoids.

Thread Information