Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~

Another rotator cuff surgery thread

Scheduled. Anything I should know before I go under the knife????

jseek is offline Junior Member
    Um....good luck?!!
    Honestly without details of how u injured it/ or how long u have been struggling with shoulder...as in trauma new/old, chronic problem? Therefore...is it strong/weak? Imaging done and results? Labrum/biceps /acrimony involved? Bony changes? Or straight forward repair?
    Unless a glaring MRI deficit noted, and grade 3 -complete tear diagnosed, they may possibly go in with a scope first to diagnose involvement and go from there...then again, if your shoulder has been unstable and dislocating for years, .... I'm sure you get the idea.
    More details gives better advice!
    But regardless, good luck, be prepared to ice it very often, take the meds to keep it well pain controlled, and follow dr orders
    Post results and keep us informed!
    When's the surgery? Procedure expected? Did you do rehab prior to this date? What were your goals prior to injury and what are they after?

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    i don't know about your, but mine was BAD, had to sleep upright in a brace for six weeks, total of a yr to get back to 90%.

P.S. ask for diladid 2mg for pain, perks don't do jack.

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Mine was rear shoulder( the worst) and had a buch other crap wrong with it so u may not have it that bad...good luck.

Sorry. Just noticed the number of posts u e had...I'm Sure others here know ur story a lot better...
    I've seen guys getting simple scopes&arcromioplasty recover in 6-8 weeks largely full rom...strength took longer but
    Then there are the complete 3 rotator years, titanium posts, biceps, labral tear, acrioplasty....in brace to hold the repaired muscles short...and recovery is obviously different. Good luck.

thx for checking in....yours does sound worst!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ironbeck View Post
    Mine was rear shoulder( the worst) and had a buch other crap wrong with it so u may not have it that bad...good luck.

hi jseek...u know alot about rotator cuff.....
    my injury is 2 yo from kickboxing class, cross body punch with 3 lb weight...go figure and reinjured last jan doing a lateral arm raise with 5 lb weight in an elevated side plank position. MRI said partial full tear of the supraspinatus and the remaing delaminated. It's been bugging me none stop for over a year, and i can't lift any weight in a lateral position. hurts to put on clothes, sometimes, just laying in bed before i fall asleep....

doc said would be 6 weeks in a sling. a chair to articulate the arm is to dropped off this week so I can do this at home, 3x per day. lovely.......hope this helps!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jseek View Post
    Um....good luck?!!
    Honestly without details of how u injured it/ or how long u have been struggling with shoulder...as in trauma new/old, chronic problem? Therefore...is it strong/weak? Imaging done and results? Labrum/biceps /acrimony involved? Bony changes? Or straight forward repair?
    Unless a glaring MRI deficit noted, and grade 3 -complete tear diagnosed, they may possibly go in with a scope first to diagnose involvement and go from there...then again, if your shoulder has been unstable and dislocating for years, .... I'm sure you get the idea.
    More details gives better advice!
    But regardless, good luck, be prepared to ice it very often, take the meds to keep it well pain controlled, and follow dr orders
    Post results and keep us informed!
    When's the surgery? Procedure expected? Did you do rehab prior to this date? What were your goals prior to injury and what are they after?

btw, any recommendations on preparation b4 surgery.....plus I plan to return to work in week and half...office job and work will accomodate......thank goodness.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbeck View Post
    i don't know about your, but mine was BAD, had to sleep upright in a brace for six weeks, total of a yr to get back to 90%.

P.S. ask for diladid 2mg for pain, perks don't do jack.

jj341 is offline New Member
    I have had 2 RT Cuff surgeries. The last one was 2 years ago. You wouldn't think that such a small muscle repair would take so long to heal. If you live alone you're going to need someone to come in to help you out at first. Take the pain meds. Don't be a hero. There is a shoulder ice pack that helps alot. Sleeping is very difficult. There is a web site message board forum that contains tip for recovery. Do a google search for "Sleeping after rotator cuff surgery". It will come right up. Thjere's a ton of info there for you. Good luck.

thx for the link can you elaborate on the bold plz!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jj341 View Post
    I have had 2 RT Cuff surgeries. The last one was 2 years ago. You wouldn't think that such a small muscle repair would take so long to heal. If you live alone you're going to need someone to come in to help you out at first. Take the pain meds. Don't be a hero. There is a shoulder ice pack that helps alot. Sleeping is very difficult. There is a web site message board forum that contains tip for recovery. Do a google search for "Sleeping after rotator cuff surgery". It will come right up. Thjere's a ton of info there for you. Good luck.

Recovery at first is tough to do alone
    Ice packs need to get on your shoulder and stay there 20 min on/ no more than 1 hour off. Then back on... For weeks is best...
    Ice packs back & forth to freezer
    Food to make & eat & clean up
    Getting dressed one armed is often difficult especially without moving the one painful arm
    That sling is tough to get on off
    Then toilet breaks and showers...one armed....while maintaining your balance after taking pain meds that can keep u dizzy
    It may be none of the above for you...or worse
    Keep a friend or two on speed dial!
    And good luck!

Partial complete tear...tough one...
    Well, keep positive. Surgeon won't know exactly what to expect till you get in there...
    Read here about the rotator cuff
    Start doing the rotator cuff rehab training now so that you know 1) your current range of both shoulders 2) strength levels 3) you get familiar with them so that after surgery you can just move right back into a familiar activity.
    Good luck! When's the surgery booked?

Quote Originally Posted by jseek
    Partial complete tear...tough one...
    Well, keep positive. Surgeon won't know exactly what to expect till you get in there...
    Read here about the rotator cuff
    Start doing the rotator cuff rehab training now so that you know 1) your current range of both shoulders 2) strength levels 3) you get familiar with them so that after surgery you can just move right back into a familiar activity.
    Good luck! When's the surgery booked?
    Next week Thursday

JSeek answered the question as well as I could have. The web site I gave you will give you more info. If you work out with weights now you will be ahead of the game when you start your pt. Much of the pt is to make the shoulder muscles stronger. If your shoulder muscles are strong now you're ahead of the game. The other goal of pt is to break up the surgery scars in your shoulder. That's what pt did for me. I cannot emphasize enough. Read the info on the web site I gave you. It's all you need to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    thx for the link can you elaborate on the bold plz!!!

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I had shoulder surgery several years ago. wasn't the cuff. it was the ball. had to shave part of the bone. somehow, it was creating a fibrosis and very painful. Sharp pain like a seering needle in exposed tender tissue. Took almost a year to get back to 99%. Wish I knew about TB back then. But I don't think it was available like it is now.

I think the only thing I can reinforce is give the healing phase plenty of time. Dose up with the TB, and let it heal. Don't push this time frame. Plenty of time for rehab in the next phase. but don't push the healing phase.

BTW, notice how I showed some restraint and not embarrass you by complimenting you on your sexy legs in your avi? =)

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    My doctor (E. Edward Khalfayan,) Seattle Seahawks: Head Team Physician/Orthopedic Surgeon, 1996-present, Seattle Mariners: Medical Director/Orthopedic Surgeon, 2006-present.

He had me start physical therapy the day after surgery and I was out of my sling in 1 week or less.

I had surgery last may. It's still sore but I am back to 60%+ in strength and my flexibility is good but it still hurts a little to put my arm behind my back or putting on a coat. Shoulders take a long time to heal.

Good luck with the surgery and i'm sure it's for the best. You have been dealing with it for a long time and it sounds like the best option.

I have some pretty pictures attached to my post I made the day after surgery. I was back on the forum within 2 hrs of getting home though. lol
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...=#.UPJ3CUHhxv8
    Last edited by lovbyts; 01-13-2013 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    I had shoulder surgery several years ago. wasn't the cuff. it was the ball. had to shave part of the bone. somehow, it was creating a fibrosis and very painful. Sharp pain like a seering needle in exposed tender tissue. Took almost a year to get back to 99%. Wish I knew about TB back then. But I don't think it was available like it is now.

I think the only thing I can reinforce is give the healing phase plenty of time. Dose up with the TB, and let it heal. Don't push this time frame. Plenty of time for rehab in the next phase. but don't push the healing phase.

BTW, notice how I showed some restraint and not embarrass you by complimenting you on your sexy legs in your avi? =)
    Hmmmm. U 2 with shoulder. Seems a lot have had to go thru it. I am dreading it and no I haven't loaded up with tb500 but sounds like I should. Maybe help the gimpy ankle too. Lol
    Legs. Yah. I got a pair. Miss my dang heels!

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts
    My doctor (E. Edward Khalfayan,) Seattle Seahawks: Head Team Physician/Orthopedic Surgeon, 1996-present, Seattle Mariners: Medical Director/Orthopedic Surgeon, 2006-present.

He had me start physical therapy the day after surgery and I was out of my sling in 1 week or less.

I had surgery last may. It's still sore but I am back to 60%+ in strength and my flexibility is good but it still hurts a little to put my arm behind my back or putting on a coat. Shoulders take a long time to heal.

Good luck with the surgery and i'm sure it's for the best. You have been dealing with it for a long time and it sounds like the best option.

I have some pretty pictures attached to my post I made the day after surgery. I was back on the forum within 2 hrs of getting home though. lol
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...=#.UPJ3CUHhxv8
    Seems my sling with 2 weeks and pt after that. Some device is going to be delivered to articulate the shoulder. It hasn't showed up yet but expecting it soon.

I was surprised that u were lifting weights in 2 weeks after surgery. Amazing!!!!

Yeah well I wasnt lifting much. lol I was benching with 15 lbs dumbbells I think and 5lb curls. Also a lot of band work. It's very important to do band work once you start to recover.

dont worry you will be fine just dont rush anything. From most everyone they say it really takes about a year to recover but hey, you could have not had surgery and 3 years from now still only be at 50% of where you should be instead of 100% recovered, right?

Yeah well I wasnt lifting much. lol I was benching with 15 lbs dumbbells I think and 5lb curls. Also a lot of band work. It's very important to do band work once you start to recover.

dont worry you will be fine just dont rush anything. From most everyone they say it really takes about a year to recover but hey, you could have not had surgery and 3 years from now still only be at 50% of where you should be instead of 100% recovered, right?
    Thx dear. Had too many surgeries and I am really dreading this one for some reason! My shoulder isn't even 50%. Can't lift any weight in lateral for a good 8 months now. Hurts throughout the day.

If I could lift 3 lbs after 2 weeks I would be happy. I luv to spin and was thinking (to myself not with doc) maybe I could spin with the sling in the second week. Just sit and peddle. Seems benign to me

Well you sound like you have paid your dues and taking your time to try to recover naturally as I did and yes it's time to go under the knife.

I can relate to what you're saying in regards to all the surgeries also. I don't exactly look forward to them although I've had so many it doesn't bother me either.

My first surgery was when I was 6 months old for a hernia. Second surgery was when I was 7 for a weak bladder. Third fourth and fifth was when I was 10 after a piece of metal went through my right eye. Sixth and seventh were in the mid eighties for deviated septum. Nasal. Number 9 was in the early nineties to do more repair to the right eye. Number 10 was in 1998 for a lens implant and cornea graft also to the right eye. Number 11 was in 2005 for herniated disc on L 3 and L 4. Number 12 was in 2007 for ruptured disc l5 s1. Number 13 was 2010 for a detached retina also in the right eye number 14 was n 2011to repair the lens that also came detached during the surgery to repair the detached retina. Number 15 was May of 2012 to repair the rotator cuff

Oh damn I just remembered somewhere in between there I also had a spurmatacele removed and vasectomy at the same time. I think it was around 2001 or 2002. Oh yeah I also had another nasal surgery done in 2008 I believe

I may have missed 1 or 2 in there somewhere.

I really hope that I'm done.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    good luck girl!

and if you need a sponge bath, you know who to contact!

Well you sound like you have paid your dues and taking your time to try to recover naturally as I did and yes it's time to go under the knife.

I can relate to what you're saying in regards to all the surgeries also. I don't exactly look forward to them although I've had so many it doesn't bother me either.

My first surgery was when I was 6 months old for a hernia. Second surgery was when I was 7 for a weak bladder. Third fourth and fifth was when I was 10 after a piece of metal went through my right eye. Sixth and seventh were in the mid eighties for deviated septum. Nasal. Number 9 was in the early nineties to do more repair to the right eye. Number 10 was in 1998 for a lens implant and cornea graft also to the right eye. Number 11 was in 2005 for herniated disc on L 3 and L 4. Number 12 was in 2007 for ruptured disc l5 s1. Number 13 was 2010 for a detached retina also in the right eye number 14 was n 2011to repair the lens that also came detached during the surgery to repair the detached retina. Number 15 was May of 2012 to repair the rotator cuff

Oh damn I just remembered somewhere in between there I also had a spurmatacele removed and vasectomy at the same time. I think it was around 2001 or 2002. Oh yeah I also had another nasal surgery done in 2008 I believe

I may have missed 1 or 2 in there somewhere.

I really hope that I'm done.
    Dang it. Enuff is enuff!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00
    good luck girl!

and if you need a sponge bath, you know who to contact!
    Look at your generosity!!!

I was lifting 6 weeks after the surgery but I only did pulls and curls. The better shape you're in before the surgery the faster recovery I think.

the device that articulates the arm for inhome therapy arrived today....i will be using it starting first day after surgery.

the sling was also delivered....thing is huge. has a cube attached to it and i have to sleep with this...

That sling is going to be a godsend to you when you try to go to sleep. The sling lets your arm rest comfortably against the padded cube. Without it your arm is unsupported and the rt hurts like a bastard. The sling was my constant companion for about 2 months after the surgery.

Dang it. Enuff is enuff!!!
    Nope I was right, I forgot a few but remember after talking to the woman today. lol

I forgot a minor one to repair the eye lid droop due to the eye trauma in 2001? Also an unmentionable one I had done only 4 months ago I think I had blocked out of my mind due to the only surgery I have had SEVERE pain for 3 days after surgery. Starts with H but that's all I'm saying. lol Never again.

Yeah I think that was it so I'm up to 18. Ohh and yes I'm of course looking into one more now. reverse vasectomy but that one is up in the air and there are a lot of things that have to fall into place before that will happen. It's also at least 6mo in the future if on 1yr.

Good luck tomorrow with ur surgery!

Good luck tomorrow girly. You are in our thoughts. Speedy recovery and we are here for you after as well.

Good luck tomorrow girly. You are in our thoughts. Speedy recovery and we are here for you after as well.
    Here's the damage. More than doc anticipated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3721734150.jpg 
Views:	1335 
Size:	347.8 KB 
ID:	132178

Congrats on survival. I'm sure you'll recover well and quickly.
    Rest and relax and enjoy the current down time as in no time you will be up and busy and begging for the off season again!!

Nice picture!
    Love the lacy unmentionables on that repair!
    Did he keep you in the same splint / sling you mentioned or a different one?

Quote Originally Posted by jseek
    Nice picture!
    Love the lacy unmentionables on that repair!
    Did he keep you in the same splint / sling you mentioned or a different one?
    I am in sling with huge foam block 24/7. Necessary yuckness

Here's the damage. More than doc anticipated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3721734150.jpg 
Views:	1335 
Size:	347.8 KB 
ID:	132178
    Funny how that works, more than anticipated. Really I my wife said my doc called her 1/2 through mine saying it was going to be a LOT longer than he anticipated. I had the full work up, MRI with contrast dye and it didn't show 1/10 of the damage. He also had to go in from the front and back to reach everything and this is the guy who is the primary surgeon for Our Pro football and Baseball team, SeaHawks and Mariners.

Did you give you more pictures? I got a bunch with descriptions. See if he will give you the rest so you can post them. I would love to compare damage. lol

How is the PT going? I started more PT this week, well not really, it's more of Deep tissue massage. I stopped my PT after 2 months because I was tired of being in pain 24/7 and within a few days it felt a lot better so I stuck with doing my own stretches for a while. I have a couple of spots that are deep though I don't think PT will help and I know from experience with the other shoulder some good deep massage should help. It was sore for the following 2 days though but in a good way this time.

Good luck with recovery, congratulations on getting through the hard part and keep us informed.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 01-20-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Hey Girly, no slacking off. We need daily updates....

Hey Girly, no slacking off. We need daily updates....
    . Sit in this chair for 4.5 hours ED is boring. I have no pain but still taking the pain meds. My bicep was so sore from not moving I had to take out of the sling partway thru the nite. I ordered the tb500 and will start as soon as it arrives. Got nothing to lose on this research project.

Felt good to shower yesterday!!!

Ha yeah the sling gets old fast. I told you I was out of mine in just a few days. I couldn't handle it and just kept my arm by my side. I used it once in a great while but not for long.

I couldn't just sit around either and trying to sleep sitting up is a PITA. You should be able to get out and walk as much as you want though. Good time to do some window shopping at the mall and now worries about buying to much since you wont be trying anything on. lol

Hope the TB500 helps. I know it's especially help my back/old injuries. With or without the shoulder is a slow recovery.

Okay girly where is our update the last couple of days?

Whammi is offline Junior Member
    Personnally, my rotator cuff surgery was brutal. You just have to get in the mind set that there is a long road to recovery. I used my sling a lot, just took it easy for awhile. I walked on the treadmill as much as I could so I didn't feel like a lazy slob. Best of luck on your recovery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information