Thread: Forearm injury

steve724 is offline New Member

Forearm injury

Need someone to finally tell me whats the deal with my forearm. Right now typing I have no pain, only in certain positions it hurts, its not unbearable but its a pain in the ass at the gym. Hurts pretty bad when doing any workout such as bis or tris which involve the forearm. I recently got my wisdom teeth out and have been sick so I took 2 whole weeks within lifting a weight and it still hurts.

Any recommendations? I'm desperate and DO NOT wanna take any more time out from the gym. 2 weeks was hard enough.

Thanks

MakeEveryRepCount is offline Junior Member
    Tendinitis.

Tendons have WAYYY less blood vessels running through them so nutrient uptake (and healing) is extremely slow.

That being said (and you're not going to like this) but at least 2 more weeks off is going to be your best bet. That and taking time to foam-roll the area (forces more blood into the area and can help break up knots and scar tissue that could be restricting the flow). If it hurts like a mother-fvcker, you're doing it right. If your gym doesn't have a foam roller, buy a lacrosse ball and do it on your table at home.

I'd also look at trying to find exercises that don't give you issues and making sure you do a proper warm up (3 sets with half of working weight, 10-12 reps). Preacher curls are a big no-no for me or I'm straight into resting and rehabbing the area. If you start doing an exercise and get 5 or 6 reps in and find you start having the pain again, find a different exercise for the muscle.

You may even have to overhaul your whole routine to give the area adequate rest to prevent issues in the future. Speaking of which, what does your routine look like? Hit me with all of it; exercises, reps, beyond failure techniques you may be using (drop-sets, super-sets, etc).

Mainly hurts with bis and tris

I honestly don't really do warm up sets (I know so stupid) I know now at least.

Triceps

Skull crushers- 10,8,6 reps.
    Close grip bench- 10,8,8
    Rope pulldown- 12,10,8
    Overhead dumbbell-10,8,6
    Donkey kicks- 10-10,10
    Dips- 10,10,10

Biceps
    Super Set with Preacher curls- 10,10,10 then grab a lower ez curl bar and do another 10,10,10 (outside grip)
    Incline dumbbell curls- 10,8,8
    Machine preachers(light)(inside grip) 10,10,10
    Hammer curls- 10,10,8
    Straight bar curls (depending on how my forearm feels, this kills so bad sometimes) I think this is what actually caused it. (10,10,10)
    Then cables- 10,10,10

Also when you say 2 weeks extra off does that mean only on arm day? Like I can still do shoulders, chest, legs, abs and back without to much pain

MakeEveryRepCount is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve724 View Post
    Mainly hurts with bis and tris

I honestly don't really do warm up sets (I know so stupid) I know now at least.

Triceps

Skull crushers- 10,8,6 reps.
    Close grip bench- 10,8,8
    Rope pulldown- 12,10,8
    Overhead dumbbell-10,8,6
    Donkey kicks- 10-10,10
    Dips- 10,10,10

Biceps
    Super Set with Preacher curls- 10,10,10 then grab a lower ez curl bar and do another 10,10,10 (outside grip)
    Incline dumbbell curls- 10,8,8
    Machine preachers(light)(inside grip) 10,10,10
    Hammer curls- 10,10,8
    Straight bar curls (depending on how my forearm feels, this kills so bad sometimes) I think this is what actually caused it. (10,10,10)
    Then cables- 10,10,10
    Number of reps looks good, but I would definitely drop the total number of *working* sets down to around 10. Add in your warm-up and you won't be spending any more time in the gym. You've currently got 18 sets for tris and 21 with the super-set for bis. You can effectively damage the muscle fiber with much less than this so don't worry about stagnating growth. Once you kick the tendon issue you'll find you can work even harder on the limited sets you do as well.

I vary anywhere from 4 to 10 sets. My two best exercises for each muscle group for 2 to 5 sets each. Even when I'm only doing 4 sets, I'm blasting the muscles and going all out on each. But when I'm done, I'm done. Time to get back to the rest, recovery, and growing phase. The weeks where I'm only doing 4 sets are primarily to let my tendons fully recover.

Is your problem on the inside of your arm (top of the forearm) or both the inside and the outside (base of your tricep)?

Quote Originally Posted by steve724 View Post
    Also when you say 2 weeks extra off does that mean only on arm day? Like I can still do shoulders, chest, legs, abs and back without to much pain
    I mean on any day/exercises giving you problems. You're doing damage to the tendons. If you don't let them fully heal, you won't recover. If the problem is only at the top of your forearm, skip the pulling stuff. Shoulders, chest, legs, and abs should be fine. If you're having issues with the top of the forearm and base of the tricep, abs and legs are gonna be it (and you'll still need to be careful moving weights around for these exercises).

If straight bar curls give you the worst problems, pick something else. Once you start to pin-point what's causing the issue, you'll be able to make some better exercise selections.

TMW - Wrist and Forearm Pain While Curling video on youtube is exactly where it hurts. like 40 seconds into the video it demonstrates its only there. Hard to explain where exactly through this.

also i forgot to mention lol.. im obsessed w having my arms grow,i do that routine 2x a week and light bis after back and light tris after chest def over training

Thread Information