Ummabeast is offline New Member

Inability to properly work legs

A little background before we get started:
    I'm 22 years old. I got into nutrition and training around 3-4 years ago. I was born with a condition known as clubbed foot(I have it in both, it was severe). Long story short, by the age of 5 I had three surgeries. And started walking later than most kids. (I think I started around age 2? Not sure). Anyways, fast forward to high school. I wasn't active. I was overweight and unhappy. My feet ached and my body felt wrong. So I lost some weight. Ended up at 20 years old having another surgery, and another just last year. Totaling 4 each foot and 1 procedure each(injecting the joints to "fix" the pain).
    Well, due to the nature of the human body. Everything has been effected. My knees track inward(knock knees) and my hips are in misalignment. Thus putting strain on the middle of my back.
    This leaves me with some problems. I cannot properly train my legs. Nor be very physical, without paying the price. My knees ache when I squat, and cannot even reach parallel at times. Lunges the same, God forbid I do any leg machine without my knee(s) popping out of place above 50lbs. When I squat. My right hip, feels like it is just aching. Like something is out of place, a dull stabbing pain. Don't even get me started on ankle and calf tightness.
    I need to correct my knees. My hips, the tightness I feel in them. Before I end up an overweight, wheelchair bound, old man in my future.

It seems no matter what I do, nothing helps. I'm in desperate need here. And I know I'm new, but I am trying to post more. I would love someday, to lose what Weight I have and bulk up with a cycle or two. But, with my body in the shape it is, it would be a waste.

If anyone could shed some light, It would be greatly appreciated.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If it was me; and it was several years back due to 2 back surgery's and the last one I was 80% disabled before the surgery, I would spend my time researching and learning more about diet and doing what light training I could without injuring or hurting myself.

I would also start researching forums of people with similar conditions, I'm sure there are many. I know I have found forums or discussion groups about every one of my aliments in the past. I would try to find a good physical therapist to see if they might be able to help and research more doctors and surgeries that may correct things more.

I was also in the position where I had to get myself in shape after the last surgery or end up in a wheel chair. It was a lot of work but you have to make it a life style change and not for the short term. You have to make it for life. It's not a race, it's a marathon. Dont look for any quick fixes such as steroids . They will do more harm than good at this point and yes you will be just throwing your money away.

That does not mean you should not continue learning about them and more importantly diet. We have a great nutrition section of the forum here. After you get some of the main issues worked out and start building a solid base you may be ready and decide to or not run a cycle.

Sorry to hear about your condition and hope you find a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    If it was me; and it was several years back due to 2 back surgery's and the last one I was 80% disabled before the surgery, I would spend my time researching and learning more about diet and doing what light training I could without injuring or hurting myself.

I would also start researching forums of people with similar conditions, I'm sure there are many. I know I have found forums or discussion groups about every one of my aliments in the past. I would try to find a good physical therapist to see if they might be able to help and research more doctors and surgeries that may correct things more.

I was also in the position where I had to get myself in shape after the last surgery or end up in a wheel chair. It was a lot of work but you have to make it a life style change and not for the short term. You have to make it for life. It's not a race, it's a marathon. Dont look for any quick fixes such as steroids . They will do more harm than good at this point and yes you will be just throwing your money away.

That does not mean you should not continue learning about them and more importantly diet. We have a great nutrition section of the forum here. After you get some of the main issues worked out and start building a solid base you may be ready and decide to or not run a cycle.

Sorry to hear about your condition and hope you find a solution.
    Thank you for that. By no means will I run a cycle, until I know every compound and how it effects me. Nor will I do one before having a solid base/more years under my belt.
    It seems even the simplest movements, like bending/squatting to pick something up is excruciating at times. I don't want to be typical. Most people would give up. Not me.

I will definitely look into support groups. I never thought one would exist for it. But, the world surprises you.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Just do whatever you can for legs, if 30 reps is the only way you can induce metabolic fatigue so be it. Definitely look into physical therapy and get a professional analysis/opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    Just do whatever you can for legs, if 30 reps is the only way you can induce metabolic fatigue so be it. Definitely look into physical therapy and get a professional analysis/opinion.
    Definitely will, once my job gives me benefits.
    I usually can only squat a Max of 25lbs each side. Started using 5lb plates to place my heels on. It actually helps alleviate some pain.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It doesnt matter how much you can squat or press. Doing standing squats with no weights or dumbbells works just fine if you can do them. After my 2nd surgery I could not even raise up on the balls of my feet, couldn't lift the heals off the ground in physical therapy. Before the surgery I could not walk stand or sit more than 1 minute at a time and then would lay on the ground in severe pain for hours. I'm not comparing what happened to myself to you though, just showing how you have to start somewhere and every little bit helps.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    It doesnt matter how much you can squat or press. Doing standing squats with no weights or dumbbells works just fine if you can do them. After my 2nd surgery I could not even raise up on the balls of my feet, couldn't lift the heals off the ground in physical therapy. Before the surgery I could not walk stand or sit more than 1 minute at a time and then would lay on the ground in severe pain for hours. I'm not comparing what happened to myself to you though, just showing how you have to start somewhere and every little bit helps.
    That really gives me more motivation to just keep training. And to search more for correction exercises. I've felt like giving up on it altogether and saying the hell with fixing the problems.

Thread Information