Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cttoasn

Thread: Left shoulder

TheTaxMan is offline 100% BRITISH BEEF

Left shoulder

Shoulder or military press causes my left shoulder to crack/click everytime, even without weight, it sems to be the movement itself, theres no pain just an awful crack, its ever since i came flying off my bmx and smashed my left collar bone/shoulder area 3/4 years ago. A&E was really busy that day and i felt they neglected/rushed me they put me in a sling for 6 weeks

Its healed i think but collar bone on left is raised compared to my right, i think i should have had an operation with possibly a plate. But with minimum discomfort i dont want to go back and complain, with a potential operation and lengthy loss of gym time

Any advice?

cttoasn is offline Associate Member
    Can't give too much on fixing it. But as an Olympic lifter I put my shoulders in potentially damaging positions daily. Snatch, overhead squats, snatch grip behind neck push press, sotts press, etc... All risky without great care, but unfortunately necessary for my sport.

I found that very methodical warm ups, movement prep and mobilization both pre and post workout help a TON. Google things like " Ys, Ts and Ws" which are a staple for me now. And pvc pipe pass throughs, banded stretches....Once I let m shoulders heal up and implemented all this, it Made a world of difference for me. Pain and injury free since.

In short...strengthen the rotator cuffs and mobilize the joint.
    Last edited by cttoasn; 09-13-2015 at 06:22 PM.

I never experience injury or pain but like a knocking noise almost like when people deliberately cracking fingers/knuckles sound.

Im 28 and at the moment its fine i just dont want to cause permanent damage or experience pain when im older

Blog Entries
    IMO overhead shoulder press and like varieties are high risk low reward.

If your goal is to make shoulder gains nothing is superior to rear/side/front raises, period.
    I like to perform these on cable machine to change the resistance curve.

Overhead shoulder presses belong in the iron graveyard. What you are experiencing is a warning sign, its your choice if you want to continue and completely jack up your shoulders.

I would also begin to incorporate more rotator cuff exercises and slowly bring your shoulders back to optimal health.

Chauffeur is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    IMO overhead shoulder press and like varieties are high risk low reward.

If your goal is to make shoulder gains nothing is superior to rear/side/front raises, period.
    I like to perform these on cable machine to change the resistance curve.

Overhead shoulder presses belong in the iron graveyard. What you are experiencing is a warning sign, its your choice if you want to continue and completely jack up your shoulders.

I would also begin to incorporate more rotator cuff exercises and slowly bring your shoulders back to optimal health.

All of this.

Couldn't agree more.

cttoasn is offline Associate Member
    X10

If barbell overhead pressing movements were not necessary for building overhead strength in Olympic weightlifting, I would never do them.

For pure aesthetics and size, just stick with unilateral dumbbell movements like those listed.
    hellomycognomen likes this.

Thanks for the advice!

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    i also have pops and clicks in my shoulder that are pain free. arthritis is the cause of mine (i'm 52). it sounds like the cause of yours is different (traumatic damage).

anyways, a shoulder surgeon told me not to worry about the noises if there was no pain.

i too warm up and work on rotator cuff as a regular part of my shoulder workout.

Thread Information