Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    charcold is offline Associate Member
    Nice read. The dedication of competitors is amazing.

bjpennnn is offline American Psycho
    ^^^it truly is.

I think it is the sport that takes the most dedication it is literally a 24 7 job.

LBSOMEIRON is offline Banned
    Thanks fellas.

I promise to try and start a fresh log as i prime up for the spring '11 in an effort to answer as many of the PMs I've received as I can. I started a week ago today, but have been swamped. One of the questions I received numerous tines is in regards to the stage and what the experience is like. Truthfully, I can't put it in words. There's something about the lights and static from the crowd that's so euphoric, attempting to explain it would do it no justice. I can, however, give you dm outline.
    Often the weigh-in occurs on the Friday before the Saturday competition. Sometimes both options are offered; an early weigh-in on Friday and one Saturday before pre-judging that takes place in the morning, sometime around 10am. The competition and placings all occur during pre-judging. If you are in a line of 9 guys and you are on the inside doing your quarter turns for the judges and they ask you to switch places with someone on the outside - that's a bad sign. If you are anywhere off dead center and they ask you to move inside to the middle, that means you are in the top of your class, this is termed a "callout". So, with 9 guys, if you are on the outside after the quarter turns you can bet you took 8th, or 9th. Look into dead center and you will know the top three. The winner is usually kept in the middle with second and third on either side (those two can be a guess). Cumpulsory poses are called out by the head judge; double-back-bi, front lat spread, etc. Some shows have individual posing routines that are 60 seconds with no music, bigger shows may leave that out to speed up the process.

Once you leave the stage the hard work is done. Pre-judging backstage is often tense, while I've experienced much looser environments at night. The night show is all for the crowd, time to show off and get cocky on stage. It's all about having fun at night. After your music routine lasting 60-90 seconds their will be some quarter turns and compulsories for the crowd to make it look like the competition is actually happening at this time. However, if you look at the judges they are up walking around, getting coffee, etc. The winner of each class finally returns to the stage for the overall. There are six weight classes in the Men's Open division:

BW = Bantamweight...........143 1/4 lbs and lower
    LW = Lightweight................143 1/4 lbs - 154 1/4 lbs.
    MW = Middleweight.............154 1/4 lbs - 176 1/4 lbs.
    LH = Light heavyweight........176 1/4 lbs - 198 1/4 lbs.
    HW = Heavyweight..............198 1/4 lbs - 225 1/4 lbs.
    SHW = Super Heavyweight...225 1/4 lbs and higher

Quarter turns are called, compulsories, and finally a pose-down to music. The overall winner of the class winners gets the overall trophy, and the show is over. Time to eat.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    LBSOMEIRON: WOW! Impressed! Just read this entire thread.

proironaust is offline Associate Member
    Wow awesome read there and some real insite of a very detailed prep well done. After reading that it makes me wanna start dieting again for a show

dooie is offline Senior Member
    Unreal!! Would love to see pics!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information