Thread: SKinny Fat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    androbolic_09 is offline Associate Member

SKinny Fat

Ok, so i know this is pic forum, but i dont know where to really ask. But if someone is skinnyfat, what should they do first? Bulk or cut? I know that more muscle means you can cut faster later because of higher metabolism(more muscle mass). But what are experiences and insight for this? Thanks.

thex95 is offline Senior Member
    Cut!!!!!

C-BuZz is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts View Post
    Cut!!!!!
    Cutting while skinnyfat = even skinnerfat due to not enough muscle mass AND loosing even more muscle while cutting.

Slow/clean bulk & build a decent base/frame to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    Cutting while skinnyfat = even skinnerfat due to not enough muscle mass AND loosing even more muscle while cutting.

Slow/clean bulk & build a decent base/frame to work with.
    Respectively disagree my friend. You can still build a pretty solid amount of muscle while cutting. A lot of people take cutting to the extreme which causes catabolism. People that do this often have tons of muscle so they can spare a little bit of it gets burnt off. The average person following a healthy diet with a slight calorie deficit can still gain muscle, and the gains will be all the more noticeable with the loss of excess fat.

P.S. in the last pic, my boxers are poofy, ass really aint that big. lmao

C-BuZz is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts View Post
    Respectively disagree my friend. You can still build a pretty solid amount of muscle while cutting. A lot of people take cutting to the extreme which causes catabolism. People that do this often have tons of muscle so they can spare a little bit of it gets burnt off. The average person following a healthy diet with a slight calorie deficit can still gain muscle, and the gains will be all the more noticeable with the loss of excess fat.
    No problem & I see your point in some circumstances, however, you can loose fat a lot faster than you can put on muscle.

Looking at the OP's picture I can see he falls into skinny (lightweight) with little muscle mass making him appear fat. If he cuts at 165lb he's going to end up at 150-145 & still skinny fat (& possibly underweight), in basically the same predicament as he is now.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you & suggest a slow clean bulk (at least 6 months) to around 175 followed by a slow cut. This coupled with a consistent weight regime, he is going to end up with some much needed lean muscle mass to play with opening up a lot of different options. As it stands, he shouldn't cut IMO.
    Last edited by C-BuZz; 03-04-2012 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    No problem & I see your point in some circumstances, however, you can loose fat a lot faster than you can put on muscle.

Looking at the OP's picture I can see he falls into skinny (lightweight) with little muscle mass making him appear fat. If he cuts at 165lb he's going to end up at 150-145 & still skinny fat (& possibly underweight), in basically the same predicament as he is now.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you & suggest a slow clean bulk (at least 6 months) to around 175 followed by a slow cut. This coupled with a consistent weight regime, he is going to end up with some much needed lean muscle mass to play with opening up a lot of different options. As it stands, he shouldn't cut IMO.
    After seeing his pics I would have to agree with you. I was imagining someone with a much more pronounced gut and even smaller arms than the pics display. If he is going to bulk though I would say he should be extremely strict with making it a lean bulk, obviously he wants to minimize fat gains.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Well I think it depends how fat and why you are skinny fat. If you are a beginner and <20% bf then a lean bulk would be ok.

As it is the pictures forum how about a pic or at least some stats!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Ok, well ive been out of lifting for almost 2 years. so basically starting from scratch. Tried to still eat right, but temptation gets the best of us. I still monitored calories subconsciously as to not overdo it, but the wrong foods still wreck havoc on a body.
    Im 5'7" and 160-165lbs. I have just gotten back to the gym and i plan on turning this around. I want to hit a lean 180-190. I know it takes work, time, and lots of it. I do know my stuff, just been out for awhile. I know it looks like i havent touched a weight in my life, but just understand that no lifting/diet = back to normal.

Also, i have naturally wide hips, so its not love handles even tho thats what it resembles. its not seeable in these pics because of poor lighting and whatnot, but i can see the outline of my top four abs while flexing. so i dont know if that helps anyone or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 202.jpg 
Views:	2294 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	120837
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 203.jpg 
Views:	1390 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	120838

BigBadWolf is offline Member
    I agree with Scott but after looking at your pic you could start with a clean bulk and cut later.

HK, yeah i was kinda leaning towards doing that. I know i wish i had abs for summer, and i dont want to put on much fat cuz ill be slightly self conscious with my shirt off, but my GF said she dont care if i gain a lil fat. plus, ill cut it up for next summer anyways. thats if the world doesnt end.
    Im thinking of doing moderate slow carbs, and high protein and see if i start puttin on lean mass. I cant drop carbs or ill feel sick. and too many and i gain weight too quick. so ill just experiment. i got nothing but time. lol

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I would put together a diet and post it in the nutrition forum. We can take a look at it and give you some pointers to maximize it.

Yeah slfmade im working on it as we speak. ill try to get it posted sometime today.

Ok well i have decided to clean lean bulk it up. I have my diet posted in the nutrition forum. Hopefully going to start seeing a little bit of muscle gain soon. Maybe even a tad fat loss as i am doing cardio after weight sessions since my glycogen and circulating glucose will be depleted after the workouts. I will see how it goes, and keep yall updated. and tweak as necessary. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Razor is offline Banned

scotts- yeah im going to try my hand at super strict diet, with a clean slow bulk.

razr- good one. im gonna get you back.... lol

Thread Information