NaeMo is offline Female Member

Hi There! Brand Spanking Newbie!

Just found your forum today, and have read a lot but I have not even scratched the surface. I planned to just read and not participate, but who am I kidding? LOL!

A little about me:

I'm a 44 year old female, very out of shape. Tired all the time, and I'm sick of it. Also achy much of the time. I am sure I have some hormonal issues with 4 miscarriages in the last 4 years.

Two years ago I tried the couch to 5k plan *again*, but within a few weeks I was hurting (for the second time - first time in 2009) with IT band probs. I'm embarrassed to admit that I put my back out while trying to stretch the ITB. It took a month to recover from the pain after that and I probably won't go back to running.

This week, I decided to heed my DH advice and just start walking. For now, I'm walking EOD, early morning before the kids get up. I just started using MapMyWalk, and I hope to make good progress.

I'm on a ketogenic diet. I love meat. LOL. Except chicken breast. I do have whey protein around here if I need it, mostly flavors I don't particularly like. I also love veggies.

Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from y'all.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    ---------
    Last edited by Times Roman; 02-08-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: i'm glad no one replied with quote! =)

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Welcome!

Also, I have done some weight lifting at home in the past. I have a set of dumbbells, but the old fashioned kind that have plates you can change, and also a kettle bell which I really like. I will eventually get back to these more fun things.

Thanks, I didn't see the over 40 section, but I'll get there! Thanks for the welcome!

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Welcome to the forum!

Forgive Times Roman....he just got back from the middle east and might be going a bit crazy since it seems he didn't notice you posted in the "New FEMALE" section. LOL
    Last edited by slfmade; 02-08-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Forgive Times Roman....he just got back from the middle east and might be going a bit crazy since it seems he didn't notice you posted in the "New FEMALE" section. LOL
    uh.........

Welcome to the board "Luv"

Please excuse the above misinformed comment i made, as I will now humbly leave, with my hat in hand, and "edit" out the post I made that is obviously not good advice.

And on that note, ol' Times Roman is going to call it a night and get some shut eye

---Roman

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    uh.........

Welcome to the board "Luv"

Please excuse the above misinformed comment i made, as I will now humbly leave, with my hat in hand, and "edit" out the post I made that is obviously not good advice.

And on that note, ol' Times Roman is going to call it a night and get some shut eye

---Roman
    Don't leave...I was just giving you a hard time! lol

^and saved me some future embarrassment too~! =)

thanks mate!

LOL! Well I've been called weirder things, think nothing of it. Maybe there's an over 40 chick section.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Welcome NAeMo!

For starters I have no idea what TImes wrote, but I can assure you this. If you hang around enough and read a bunch here you will notice he is one of the nicest most humorous guys here. I can attest for this.

Now here is what I suggest you do. Come on over to the Nutrition forum. Start a thread there to get help with your food. Food is the key to all of this. It seems you are on the right track with high protein but perhaps tweaking might help. Plus you could start your own log there to really keep you on track.

Also I am going to send you a link for some really good threads for you to read.

GLAD YOU ARE HERE!

Enjoy the site~
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Link to a great reading list. ENJOY~

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...y#.TzPaDRw0jDo
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Thank you! Off to read some more. I will get to the nutrition board soon.

bikeral is offline Life is only stressful if you care!
    Welcome to the board

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    welcome lady!

marrero_620 is offline New Member
    Hi i jus bought anavar
    im 24/180/5'7"
    im trying to get bigger. What dosage of aqnavar do you guys suggest. Or how should i take them.
    & what should my diet be.

Thanks.

BrownGirl is offline Female Member
    First of all Welcome to the forum Naemo! Like Slimmer said...check out the nutrition section...It'll help a lot...

BrownGirl is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marrero_620 View Post
    Hi i jus bought anavar
    im 24/180/5'7"
    im trying to get bigger. What dosage of aqnavar do you guys suggest. Or how should i take them.

Thanks.

Wrong place buddy....

Thank you all! I've read the women's threads, they are great. The relationship one made me cry, though. I'm hormonal, I guess. . I need to hit the nutrition forum next.

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    oh jeeez I just saw that you have 9....NINE kids! wow women!

btw you have found a great site! only a handful of ladyz but they are BEYOND fab when it comes to support NO MATTER WHAT form of support ar gaol you have in mind <3
    ask questions..you will get answears ...are you looking to start with small changes or dramatic changes? starting a thread is a great way to get some input spacific
    to you and your goals...if you do start a thread you would mind posting a link here, to it so I can follow you?

have fun reading the posts

Yeah, looks like a lot of kids, but not bad adding one at a time. . We have a crazy life, I love it, but I'm not keeping up well the last few years. My youngest is 4, and since his birth, my hormones have been wacked.

I am still hashing out my goal in my brain. I want to look good, but most of all I want to be healthy and keep up with my kids. Not sure I'm ready to post on the nutrition forum. I've read some. My self confidence is in the toilet lately. Trying to fake it til I make it for now. Just told my husband I've been thinking about blood work and HRT. He notices how cruddy I've been feeling. He'll be good with whatever I decide.

Sorry to ramble on so. I'm just relieved to find you all.

BengalWoman is offline Female Member
    Welcome NaeMo! Keep your chin up! The forum has SO much to offer!!! The people are great!

Jessgirl is offline Female Member
    Blog Entries
    Welcome every question can and will be answered here! Good luck

Thanks! I have a bunch of questions. LOL!

I started a thread in the exercise forum, I want to cobble something together and get started. Ugh! The spam filter here keeps saying my link to the exercise forum is spam and won't let me post it.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Quote Originally Posted by marrero_620 View Post
    Hi i jus bought anavar
    im 24/180/5'7"

Thanks.
    Start your own thread and don't hijack someone else's please.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Welcome.

Thanks for the welcome, and congrats on getting hitched, TS!

Okay, I have a couple questions I'm gonna ask here in the ladies section in a bit...

I started doing *something* this week. I had started walking outdoors last week. This week I eased into a workout, but not like in the past. I usually jump right in, then can't move for 3 days. So I did some light kettlebell work (swings) and body weight work (push ups, plank, twists, vacuum, easy stuff). I am still hurting, especially from the push ups. My pecs are KILLING me.

Now the questions:

1. Will the chest work eventually (soon, I hope) give me a "lift"? I could use one. LOL!

2. Is recovery time in the beginning longer or shorter, or just depends on the person. I'm sure my metabolism is s l o w right now, but I am trying to correct that. Is that the biggest factor? I did load up on protein after the workout, and I have been trying to bring my carbs up from 0-20 normally to 50 yesterday.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    NaeMo,

Welcome aboard,

I am a male and not a doctor so I don't know much about the hormonal issues.

However, I am 56 and was in great shape up to about 40 then started doing computer work and nothing else and went from 6'1" at 175 all the way up to 238by age 50 with the same sized arms 13" LOL probably around 30%+ bodyfat. Anyway I was in such bad shape I could barely walk around the block but by walking first about a 1/4 mile and doing another 1/2 hr of just moving around, that is the arms, torso bends etc. I was getting all the workout I needed after a couple of months I had progressed to a mile and was doing very light curls, presses, etc. This approach of allowing the body a couple of months without any heavy excersize at all so that the connective tissues and central nervous system could adapt to the change was (I feel) very important to my progress as the whole time I could see progress and at no point had to miss workouts due to any injuries. Within a year I was up to 5 miles of intervals where I would walk for a mile to warm up then run for a hundred feet then walk till the heart and respiration were back to norms then run again. By combining this cardio with the resistance training ( I was lifting 3 times a week then doing sets of 8-10 reps at say 75% or the maximum wieght I could have done for the same number of reps)

My point here being work out at a reasonable pace ( for me that was it I am sure you are not that far gone LOL) that you are comfortable with and always use great caution when you add a new excersize to your regimen. For sure read read read in the diet section as there is a lot to learn there about what to eat, when to eat, when to eat carbs, when to eat fats. etc etc. Another thing that may be really hard with 9 kids but is really essential is to allow yourself as much sleep as possible 8-9 hrs is ideal, but 7 beats the hell out of 5. Remember we repair tissue and grow primarilly when sleeping, this is one of the most overlooked items in most newbies routines.

PS at 56 I had about 2 years of serious work at the gym and was at 220 lbs with about 15% bodyfat and 15.5 inch arms, nothing great but miles and miles from the shape I was in at 50 or even 35 for that matter.

Thank you for that, FFM. Good to hear about how far you've progressed and where you started. I generally get 7 hours sleep, although last night was only 6.5. Wednesday/Thursday is always packed for our family. My BMI is between 29 & 30, and while it's inaccurate for body builders, it's probably close for a chubby like me.

I will continue to take it slow-ish. I can feel my muscles working and now healing. As a bonus, the extra energy I felt completely masked or stopped many PMS symptoms. Very nice.

Today I will do some lower body/large muscle exercises, just body weight again. Then tomorrow I'll walk again.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    welcome. I lost 35 pounds after joining this site. got the diet in check and the energy followed. you can do this. have faith in yourself. especially if you want it bad enough...it can be yours! good luck!!!!

Cyrus403 is offline New Member
    Love one self is more then anyone could love you. Just remember to eat right, work out and don't get down when you have an off day, just work 2x harder the next day One step at a time!

MHouse is offline Junior Member
    Welcome.

al_capone is offline Junior Member
    Welcome ;]

mocha is offline Female Member
    Hi NaeMo, I'm Mocha. I too am new to this forum. Just wanted to say the fact that you started to make a change in your health is great. Pace is the key and eating baked or grilled chicken, fish, turkey meat and veggies is a good place to start. Dinking water daily is very important as well 2 liters to 1 gallon. I had a hard time keeping up with my water intake, then I went to Wal-mart and got a Camel-Bak, I love it! It holds 2 liters of water, so if you fill it up twice it's almost a whole gallon. By the way I'm 43 with 3 kids, I have been workingout for years off and on. Currently I'm 130lbs and trying to enhance the look of my mucle build so I just started Var 10 in hope of some positive results! Good luck and know that sincerely, I'm proud of you for trying!

Aussie-Bicycling is offline Junior Member
    Welcome to the forum!

Welcome!

Thread Information