borellias is offline New Member

new member dealing with health issues after T4 use

hello, I am visiting these forums after a very unpleasant experience with doctor prescribed T4 (hospitalized me) for suspected hypothyroid and pretty much ruined my body and years of drug free progress I had going. at 26 years old, my once exceptionally hard and defined muscles seemed to just melt off my body, my whole body became lax (tendons slipping out of place, joint instability, sloppier skin). being on such a low dose of T4, I think these sides are dramatic, so there is a chance something more sinister is at play but doctors here are not particularly helpful. unfortunately I think the natty bus has passed for me and I will be looking to learn a lot from these forums

How much T4 were you taking?

Strongblood is offline Productive Member
    That's definitely a tough blow man. Hopefully you will get this sorted out and come back stronger than ever. I think you are at the right place to learn whatever you want to regarding the body and AAS. Good luck to you bro! Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    How much T4 were you taking?
    only a beginner dose of 25mcg for three months, upped to 50 for a further two weeks before muscle loss was rapid so discontinued. I was treated as 'subclinical hypothyroid' with elevated TSH, with symptoms such as fatigue, depression, slow metabolism.. treatment was speculatory, so it is possible my thyroid levels were OK to start with. in any case, I think the response to such a small dose is suspect and very unusual and I have received no explanation. I am on anti-thyroid meds and beta blockers currently

Quote Originally Posted by Strongblood View Post
    That's definitely a tough blow man. Hopefully you will get this sorted out and come back stronger than ever. I think you are at the right place to learn whatever you want to regarding the body and AAS. Good luck to you bro! Welcome to the forum!
    cheers mate

hammerheart is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by borellias View Post
    only a beginner dose of 25mcg for three months, upped to 50 for a further two weeks before muscle loss was rapid so discontinued. I was treated as 'subclinical hypothyroid' with elevated TSH, with symptoms such as fatigue, depression, slow metabolism.. treatment was speculatory, so it is possible my thyroid levels were OK to start with. in any case, I think the response to such a small dose is suspect and very unusual and I have received no explanation. I am on anti-thyroid meds and beta blockers currently
    What were your FT4/FT3 readings?

I had a similar experience when first starting T4. I was both low t and hypothyroid at the time and the T4 significantly worsened my condition, as I needed TRT first thing. I've lost two inches from my thighs, damn.

Another condition that can be precipitated by thyroid hormones is adrenal insufficiency. Ever checked for cortisol?

Quote Originally Posted by bizzarro View Post
    What were your FT4/FT3 readings?

I had a similar experience when first starting T4. I was both low t and hypothyroid at the time and the T4 significantly worsened my condition, as I needed TRT first thing. I've lost two inches from my thighs, damn.

Another condition that can be precipitated by thyroid hormones is adrenal insufficiency. Ever checked for cortisol?
    free T4 at the beginning of the year was 14, I don't see any T3 reading on the print out I have and I haven't received any further print outs since falling ill. hell, it took them three A&E visits, one where I couldn't breathe, to finally test thyroid levels despite having been on medication (incompetence much?)

that sucks to hear man. what other kind of symptoms did you have besides muscle atrophy and have you made progress since ? not only did my muscles shrink up a bit in size, but structurally it feels like they 'sunk in' and are thinner and abnormally soft - so much so I can clearly feel details on the bone through them when I never have been able to do so even in an untrained state.

I don't believe I have had cortisol levels checked. had my bloods done last week after first endocrinologist visit and I'm not sure if cortisol will be included in that one

What you are reporting. Abnormally soft and loose muscle. Eventually dropped the T4, and restarted after TRT. Nowadays I take 150mcg T4 and this summer I added 50 mcg T3, I'm probably hyper at this point and will need to taper T4. I haven't experienced any further atrophy since TRT but every damn time I upgrade T4/3 dosage I get the very same muscular symptoms. They start to fade away after a couple of weeks. However, I still suffer from significant fatigue that prevents me from exercising, so I haven't yet regained what has been lost.

I do suspect you aren't loosing any muscle mass either, even if it feels so. Talk with your endo about checking cortisol.

Any proper thyroid bloodwork must include TSH, FT3, and FT3. Thyroid antibodies (abTPO, abTG) should be done just once, to check for autoimmune thyroditis (hashimoto's).

What you are reporting. Abnormally soft and loose muscle. Eventually dropped the T4, and restarted after TRT. Nowadays I take 150mcg T4 and this summer I added 50 mcg T3, I'm probably hyper at this point and will need to taper T4. I haven't experienced any further atrophy since TRT but every damn time I upgrade T4/3 dosage I get the very same muscular symptoms. They start to fade away after a couple of weeks. However, I still suffer from significant fatigue that prevents me from exercising, so I haven't yet regained what has been lost.

I do suspect you aren't loosing any muscle mass either, even if it feels so. Talk with your endo about checking cortisol.

Any proper thyroid bloodwork must include TSH, FT3, and FT3. Thyroid antibodies (abTPO, abTG) should be done just once, to check for autoimmune thyroditis (hashimoto's).
    it's reassuring to hear TRT has helped in your situation. upping the TRT in preparation to coincide with upping T3/4 could possibly help you stave off some of the muscular issues if worth it in your case perhaps? I think my own test levels were okay going off my gym performances and sex drive prior to getting sick, it didn't seem to have a great preventative effect and I have no idea what my test levels look like now (probably awful)

I have definitely lost muscle as I have been feeling ill/disoriented daily now for months eating only about 60g of protein and not been in a gym in at least four months (I just do 2-3 sets of pull ups off a tree and push ups every second day or so to keep in some bit of shape but not stress the body when it's already taken a beating). it isn't the size that worries me really, it's the quality of the muscle and the loss of tone/density. did you have any changes in skin or other connective tissue when you had the muscular issues? my once tight skin seems to now ripple if I run my finger up through it and generally seems looser/detached, tendons feel as though they will pop out of place with the least exertion and also seem to have a kind of 'non pitting edema'/fluid issue which ruined vascularity - which could I guess implicate cortisol as you mentioned. I have to wait another 10 weeks or so to see the endo again, but I will be sure to bring it up with him

The issue it's not in the muscle... probably endocrine or neurogenic.

In my case, thyroid meds can aggravate low t by upregulating binding factors (SHBG) and accelerating its metabolism, and I think that's what lead to quads atrophy. That's what naturally happens in the elderly.

I look ten years older comparing to two years ago. Everything is different, hair, skin, nails.

The issue it's not in the muscle... probably endocrine or neurogenic.

In my case, thyroid meds can aggravate low t by upregulating binding factors (SHBG) and accelerating its metabolism, and I think that's what lead to quads atrophy. That's what naturally happens in the elderly.

I look ten years older comparing to two years ago. Everything is different, hair, skin, nails.
    is there any way to reverse those effects or just something we can only hope to prevent further from deteriorating? I'm willing to keep all options open at this point and thought hgh might help 'cement everything back into position/facilitate healing', although this view is no doubt simplistic

clarky. is offline MONITOR
    Welcome to the forum, you should post this in the TRT section as this section is just for intros. You will get more help in there.

cheers mate, I wasn't sure which section would be right but I will give TRT one a go

brazey is offline Steroid.com's Official Greeter
    Welcome....

Livinlean is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Welcome! You're in the right place to learn about your body. I hope you get this all sorted out. Good luck!

JKW
    JKW is offline Associate Member
    I am so sorry for what you are going through. Hang in there sir!

Thread Information