Tock is offline Anabolic Member

Texas Republican Lt. Gov. Dewhurst calls for steroid testing of high school athletes

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

By JIM VERTUNO, Associated Press Writer
    October 19, 2006

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst called for mandatory random testing of Texas public high school athletes for performance-enhancing drugs.

Dewhurst, a Republican running for re-election next month, said the tests would be a strong deterrent to steer young athletes away from illegal steroids and other performance boosters.

"It's a problem," Dewhurst said Thursday. "I want to knock it out."

He said he will ask state lawmakers to approve and pay for his plan next year.

As many as 1 million high school students nationwide have tried steroids, according to a 2003 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey.

Dewhurst was joined by Don Hooton, a Plano father whose son was a promising baseball player who killed himself in 2003 at age 17 after using steroids to become a bigger and better pitcher. His parents and doctors believe he plunged into a deep depression after using the muscle-building drugs.

Hooton, who has testified on the issue before Congress, said testing probably would scare some athletes away from the drugs and help the families of users who get caught.

Dewhurst offered few details of his plan but said he would work with the University Interscholastic League, the state's governing body for public high school sports, to determine when students would be tested and the consequences for a positive test. He said the UIL should also study whether middle school students should also be tested.

Steroids can lead to dramatic mood swings, heart disease and cancer among other complications.

Dr. Richard Auchus, associate professor of internal medicine and endocrinology at the UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas and a consultant for the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, said his greatest concern about steroid use in young athletes is the potential for mental side effects.

"People can become psychotic and depressive," Auchus said. "To me, that's the most dangerous thing about these, the effects on the brain and the unpredictable nature of it."

In 2005, state lawmakers considered a testing program but instead directed the UIL to develop an education plan about the dangers of steroid use.

The UIL is surveying school districts to gauge how well that program is working. The results are due in December.

"We believe students are learning to make better decisions," to avoid steroids, said Charles Breithaupt, UIL athletic director.

"If the Legislature chooses to have us test, we certainly will do what they ask us to do," he said.

Any testing program must consider when to test, how often to test students participating in multiple sports and how many students to test, among other issues, Breithaupt said.

According to the UIL, 733,026 students participated in UIL sports in the 2005-06 school year.

School districts balked at the cost of testing in 2005.

Dewhurst estimated each test would cost about $100. At that rate, 30,000 tests, about 4 percent of the athletes statewide, would cost $2 million.

"I don't want to hear any talk about that being expensive," Dewhurst said. "You can't put a price tag on a young person's life."

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2002 that random drug testing is legal. Most Texas school districts haven't implemented such programs, but dozens have, either with federal grant money or on their own.

This fall, New Jersey became the first state to institute a statewide testing policy for high school athletes. But that program tests only those athletes who quality for team or individual state championships.

Dewhurst said he envisions a much broader program in Texas.

"I hope his plan to curb steroid use in Texas will become a model for this nation," Hooton said.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Stupidity, waste of money.

They even contradict themself, if one million high school kids has tried steroids where is the epedemic in violent crime and suicide. Out of one million we hear one story about some **** off killing himself. I would say thats pretty damn good odds...

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    I'll bet that none of those kids that have been shooting other kids in school were on steroids . That could be evidence that kids not on steroids are the bigger hazard in schools . . .

Logan13 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    Stupidity, waste of money.

They even contradict themself, if one million high school kids has tried steroids where is the epedemic in violent crime and suicide. Out of one million we hear one story about some **** off killing himself. I would say thats pretty damn good odds...
    It's comparable to the whole ephedra ordeal. It seems to only take one bad case to vilify everyone else. Bottom line, everyone wants to be on the forefront of a "cause", just politics as usual.

Honestly I don't think HS kids should be juicing up....

But I think there are FAR FAR FAR more pressing issues to spend money on than gear users in HS. Starting with rec-drugs which are used by 5000% more HS students than gear... and maybe improving education standards...

Red

Thread Information