Tock is offline Anabolic Member

Preacher Benny Hinn in Nigerian money complaint

http://news.bbc.co.uk:80/1/hi/world/africa/4619733.stm

Last Updated: Monday, 27 June, 2005

Pastor Hinn in Nigerian money row
    By Sola Odunfa
    BBC Focus On Africa magazine

Benny Hinn is one of the most successful TV evangelists in the US
    In late April, scores of giant billboards and thousands of wall posters all over Lagos proclaimed the first of three days of divine miracles and healing for at least six million Nigerians - but at the end of the third day, there was more bickering over money than praise to God for mercy received.

The vehicle of the expected wonders of the Holy Spirit was the UNited States-based evangelist Benny Hinn, who flew into Nigeria in a Gulfstream private jet with a large retinue that included his bodyguards.

He was received at Lagos airport in a motorcade of Hummer jeeps and other expensive cars.

The deaf would hear, the blind would see, the lame would jump and walk, barren women would conceive, the jobless would gain employment, and the enemy - both seen and unseen - would be vanquished. Mention any problem - physical, spiritual, economic - Hinn had come with the instant solution.

But things did not go well.

Expenditure

About 300,000 people attended the event each night - a modest congregation by Nigerian crusade standards. It is estimated that about 1 million worshippers attend the monthly Holy Ghost Congress service organised by The Redeemed Christian Church God (RCCG) at the same venue.

Whatever disappointment he felt on the first and second days of the miracle crusade, Hinn kept to himself - but he opened up with anger on the final day.

"Four million dollars down the drain," he shouted into the microphone from the huge rostrum.

He said that he had been assured by the local organising committee that at least six million people would attend the crusade - but the total turnout was only around one million. As a result, he realised that all the mega public address equipment he had flown in from the US was not needed.

He also complained about some claimed expenditures, the charges imposed on pastors who attended his day-time seminar, and journalists who sought to cover the crusade.

He then announced publicly that he would not provide any more funds, and that the local organisers should pay all outstanding bills from the collections they made on the first two days.

Hinn's complaints instantly overshadowed the spiritual context of the event. Some people from the congregation came out to declare that they received healing and other miracles after the prayers, but they were hardly audible.

The Nigerian head of the local organising committee, Bishop Joseph Olanrewaju Obembe, accused other Nigerian Pentecostal preachers of sabotaging the crusade and peddling false information to Hinn and his aides out of envy, and to discredit him.

Soon after the crusade, a committee was set up by the leadership of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN) - the umbrella body of Pentecostal churches nationwide - to investigate the funding controversy.

Big spenders

The Pentecostal faith in Nigeria is a veritable goldmine, judging by the opulence of most of its pastors.

It is made even more attractive because incomes of churches are tax-exempt. Nearly all the churches are the private property of their pastors or founders and their immediate families.

In an economic environment in which the majority of Nigeria's estimated 130 million population has been impoverished by unemployment, lack of basic social infrastructure and rising inflation, the church has become the last refuge for many people.

The favoured churches are the new-generation Pentecostal assemblies, that are owned and managed solely by fast-talking American-style pastors.

Christianity is growing rapidly in Nigeria
    Rich and powerful Nigerians run after the pastors for "spiritual protection" from imaginary 'enemies' who, they are convinced, are lurking around the corner to pull them down.

These are the big spenders in the churches.

The attraction, perhaps, lies in the often-quoted biblical injunction that "givers never lack" and the fact that most pastors don't ask the donors how they make the money they give.

Devoted service

In March 2003, a cashier at a five-star hotel was arrested for allegedly stealing nearly 40 million naira (then about US$400,000) from his employer.

His colleagues were shocked because there was nothing to suggest that he was living above his means - he had no car and he lived in a rented flat in a non-fashionable part of Lagos.

The man confessed that he gave all the money to his Pentecostal church in cash and equipment.

In another case a bank clerk stole 40 million naira from his employer and gave 10 million to his church as 'seed money' in the belief that the seed would germinate and yield several fold as promised by his pastor.

Many Nigerians believe that a large number of pastors are honest and devoted to the service of God and mankind.

But they readily take umbrage under the Yoruba saying that "only God knows who serves Him truly."

PROTEINSHAKE is offline Protein Power
    un-friggin-believable..... what a scumbag

alphaman is offline Member
    Even though this thread's purpose is to demoralize the Christian Church -- I'll have to agree on this one. Benny Hinn's got problems.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    Even though this thread's purpose is to demoralize the Christian Church -- I'll have to agree on this one. Benny Hinn's got problems.
    Nope, that's not the purpose of this thread.
    The purpose of this thread, as is true of most threads, is to inform and entertain.
    Just to make you feel better, though, I will cheerfully admit that many religious folks do wonderful things. The reason you don't hear about too many of them is primarily because there isn't any money to made in making them public.

So I'm in favor of religious folk, non-religious folk, and even anti-religious folk doing wonderful things because of, or even in spite of, their religious opinions.

Cool. Cool? Cool . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    Nope, that's not the purpose of this thread.
    The purpose of this thread, as is true of most threads, is to inform and entertain.
    Just to make you feel better, though, I will cheerfully admit that many religious folks do wonderful things. The reason you don't hear about too many of them is primarily because there isn't any money to made in making them public.

So I'm in favor of religious folk, non-religious folk, and even anti-religious folk doing wonderful things because of, or even in spite of, their religious opinions.

Cool. Cool? Cool . . .
    You are full of it. 99% of your threads are just like this. I'm not the only one who sees this......

Anyone else want to weigh in on this one???

Well, all I did was reprint, without comment, a story originally published by the BBC.

Would you also accuse the BBC of trying to demoralize the Christian Church?
    Would you be happier if nobody ever published or repeated stories such as these?

givemethejuice is offline Junior Member
    You are full of it. 99% of your threads are just like this. I'm not the only one who sees this......

Anyone else want to weigh in on this one???

I will second that. Tock sure does get a kick out of posting stuff like this but guess what, we all sin! From now on, everyday I am going to search the internet and see if I can find all the evil things homosexuals do everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by givemethejuice
    From now on, everyday I am going to search the internet and see if I can find all the evil things homosexuals do everyday.
    Be my guest, I'm sure you won't have to look very far.

The difference between what gays do and what preachers do, is that preachers claim that they are better than gay people, because of they have the "Regenerative power of God:"

http://www.christinyou.net/pages/regoman.html
    Regeneration is the restorational re-lifing of man spiritually with the life of God.

and gay people make no such absurd claim.

So, when preachers, like Ted Haggard, who was the head of a 25 million member Christian Fundamentalist organization that campaigned against gay interests, all the while spending $$$ for sex with a gay prostitute, that's hypocrisy on a newsworthy scale.

When self-righteous anti-gay anti-immorality TV evangelists like Jimmy Swaggart raise millions of $$$ preaching against homosexuality, and then get caught paying cheap sleazy hookers for sexual gratification, that's hypocrisy on a newsworthy scale.

When scam-artists like Rev. Peter Popoff
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Popoff
    claim that God gives them divine knowledge and it turns out to be a scam involving hidden radio transmitters, that's hypocrisy on a criminal and newsworthy scale.

So, if you don't like it when their hypocrisy is brought to the light of day, well tough. If you want to retaliate by showing how stupid gay people can be, go ahead; see if I care. I know (firsthand) how stupid gay people can be. But unlike some obnoxious Christians I know, no one is saying that gay people are any better than anyone else.

The difference between what gays do and what preachers do, is that preachers claim that they are better than gay people, because of they have the "Regenerative power of God:"

Regeneration is the restorational re-lifing of man spiritually with the life of God.

So, when preachers, like Ted Haggard, who was the head of a 25 million member Christian Fundamentalist organization that campaigned against gay interests, all the while spending $$$ for sex with a gay prostitute, that's hypocrisy on a newsworthy scale.

When self-righteous anti-gay anti-immorality TV evangelists like Jimmy Swaggart raise millions of $$$ preaching against homosexuality, and then get caught paying cheap sleazy hookers for sexual gratification, that's hypocrisy on a newsworthy scale.

claim that God gives them divine knowledge and it turns out to be a scam involving hidden radio transmitters, that's hypocrisy on a criminal and newsworthy scale.

So, if you don't like it when their hypocrisy is brought to the light of day, well tough. If you want to retaliate by showing how stupid gay people can be, go ahead; see if I care. I know (firsthand) how stupid gay people can be. But unlike some obnoxious Christians I know, no one is saying that gay people are any better than anyone else.

Seek help.

Seek help.
    Again, you offer no reasoned response to my assertions. Not that I'm surprised . . .

Logan13 is offline Banned
    I find it very revealing that ole' Carlos never has anything to say about your religious themed posts, which comprise the majority of your posts, but has much to say to others in regards to it and usually closes them. Since he may sight that this is in the news, I assure you that I will be going through all news outlets looking for a particular theme myself. And if there is a one-sided attempt to block further posts, I will go higher. It is not just the regular members who can be told that if they do not like what is being posted here then they should simply go elsewhere, it applies to everyone.....
    -Logan13

http://news.bbc.co.uk:80/1/hi/world/africa/4619733.stm

Last Updated: Monday, 27 June, 2005

Pastor Hinn in Nigerian money row
    By Sola Odunfa
    BBC Focus On Africa magazine

Benny Hinn is one of the most successful TV evangelists in the US
    In late April, scores of giant billboards and thousands of wall posters all over Lagos proclaimed the first of three days of divine miracles and healing for at least six million Nigerians - but at the end of the third day, there was more bickering over money than praise to God for mercy received.

The vehicle of the expected wonders of the Holy Spirit was the UNited States-based evangelist Benny Hinn, who flew into Nigeria in a Gulfstream private jet with a large retinue that included his bodyguards.

He was received at Lagos airport in a motorcade of Hummer jeeps and other expensive cars.

The deaf would hear, the blind would see, the lame would jump and walk, barren women would conceive, the jobless would gain employment, and the enemy - both seen and unseen - would be vanquished. Mention any problem - physical, spiritual, economic - Hinn had come with the instant solution.

But things did not go well.

Expenditure

About 300,000 people attended the event each night - a modest congregation by Nigerian crusade standards. It is estimated that about 1 million worshippers attend the monthly Holy Ghost Congress service organised by The Redeemed Christian Church God (RCCG) at the same venue.

Whatever disappointment he felt on the first and second days of the miracle crusade, Hinn kept to himself - but he opened up with anger on the final day.

"Four million dollars down the drain," he shouted into the microphone from the huge rostrum.

He said that he had been assured by the local organising committee that at least six million people would attend the crusade - but the total turnout was only around one million. As a result, he realised that all the mega public address equipment he had flown in from the US was not needed.

He also complained about some claimed expenditures, the charges imposed on pastors who attended his day-time seminar, and journalists who sought to cover the crusade.

He then announced publicly that he would not provide any more funds, and that the local organisers should pay all outstanding bills from the collections they made on the first two days.

Hinn's complaints instantly overshadowed the spiritual context of the event. Some people from the congregation came out to declare that they received healing and other miracles after the prayers, but they were hardly audible.

The Nigerian head of the local organising committee, Bishop Joseph Olanrewaju Obembe, accused other Nigerian Pentecostal preachers of sabotaging the crusade and peddling false information to Hinn and his aides out of envy, and to discredit him.

Soon after the crusade, a committee was set up by the leadership of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN) - the umbrella body of Pentecostal churches nationwide - to investigate the funding controversy.

Big spenders

The Pentecostal faith in Nigeria is a veritable goldmine, judging by the opulence of most of its pastors.

It is made even more attractive because incomes of churches are tax-exempt. Nearly all the churches are the private property of their pastors or founders and their immediate families.

In an economic environment in which the majority of Nigeria's estimated 130 million population has been impoverished by unemployment, lack of basic social infrastructure and rising inflation, the church has become the last refuge for many people.

The favoured churches are the new-generation Pentecostal assemblies, that are owned and managed solely by fast-talking American-style pastors.

Christianity is growing rapidly in Nigeria
    Rich and powerful Nigerians run after the pastors for "spiritual protection" from imaginary 'enemies' who, they are convinced, are lurking around the corner to pull them down.

These are the big spenders in the churches.

The attraction, perhaps, lies in the often-quoted biblical injunction that "givers never lack" and the fact that most pastors don't ask the donors how they make the money they give.

Devoted service

In March 2003, a cashier at a five-star hotel was arrested for allegedly stealing nearly 40 million naira (then about US$400,000) from his employer.

His colleagues were shocked because there was nothing to suggest that he was living above his means - he had no car and he lived in a rented flat in a non-fashionable part of Lagos.

The man confessed that he gave all the money to his Pentecostal church in cash and equipment.

In another case a bank clerk stole 40 million naira from his employer and gave 10 million to his church as 'seed money' in the belief that the seed would germinate and yield several fold as promised by his pastor.

Many Nigerians believe that a large number of pastors are honest and devoted to the service of God and mankind.

But they readily take umbrage under the Yoruba saying that "only God knows who serves Him truly."

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Ooooh Benny HiNN...i thought this was a thread about Benny HiLL.

Logan13 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagg
    Ooooh Benny HiNN...i thought this was a thread about Benny HiLL.
    Seriously, so did I.......

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan13
    Seriously, so did I.......
    ROTFLMFAO !!! So did I. We are getting to old dude !!

BajanBastard is offline VET Retired
    I always thought Hinn was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan13
    I find it very revealing that ole' Carlos never has anything to say about your religious themed posts
    Sounds like you're upset that your favorite preachers got caught.

I'll tell ya what, if you're gonna be that upset to see these news stories reprinted here, you let me know, and I'll quit. There's nothing I hate to see worse than a grown man pout . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LOGAN13
    Since he may sight that this is in the news, I assure you that I will be going through all news outlets looking for a particular theme myself.
    Sounds like a bit of "tit-for-tat" retaliation to me.
    Well, go ahead, do your worst.
    And speaking of worst, since you're a MENSA member, you might want to raise your spelling standards to MENSA levels.

Sounds like you're upset that your favorite preachers got caught.

I'll tell ya what, if you're gonna be that upset to see these news stories reprinted here, you let me know, and I'll quit. There's nothing I hate to see worse than a grown man pout . . .

Sounds like a bit of "tit-for-tat" retaliation to me.
    Well, go ahead, do your worst.
    And speaking of worst, since you're a MENSA member, you might want to raise your spelling standards to MENSA levels.
    Yeah, I'm sure Logan's a regular contributor to Hinn's ministry.

Can you drop your agenda and be a real person for a nanosecond?

Yeah, I'm sure Logan's a regular contributor to Hinn's ministry.
    Well, his panties are tied up in a knot over something . . .

Well, his panties are tied up in a knot over something . . .

I'm sure Logan and I aren't the only ones who will notice that you chose only to respond to the first half of that post.

I'm sure Logan and I aren't the only ones who will notice that you chose only to respond to the first half of that post.
    I'm sure that you will be the only two who really care.
    No, on second thought, maybe you'll be the only one.
    But if there's a popular demand for a response, sure, I'll reply. Otherwise, why bother?

See the funny thing is I hate this Benny Hinn guy just as much as you and I would never claim him to be a christian. I know he is doing what he is doing for the money and he will get what he deserves in hell. But you seem to have a serious problem with all chritians, myself being one, and you want tolerance for all gays. Seems like a double standard to me. I do not hate gay people and I do not think I am better than anyone else and I also don't come on here every week and post hateful commentary about gay people. And if I did I would surely get banned by Carlos because I would get deemed as offensive. It just seems to me you have some serious issues you are dealing with and it give you great pleasure to belittle christians and our faith but like I said before we all sin and also again Benny Hinn is not chrsitian. He is a wolf in sheep clothing.

. . . But you seem to have a serious problem with all chritians . . .
    Not all Christians, by any means. I know and like quite a few Christians. But they are the sort of Christian that interpret the Bible for themselves, allow other folks to do likewise, and don't use Religion to scam other people, and don't use the legal system to make other people conform to the Bible.

Consider the fundamentalist Christians who pushed for laws against homosexuality. Gays are prohibited from being in the military. Up until recently, big city fire and police departments wouldn't hire gays. Most small town departments still won't.

It's legal for heterosexuals to get married and divorced seven times a week, and treat marriage as casually as changing dirty underwear. But gay couples that have been together for 20+ years cannot, because some Christians say that God doesn't like such things.

Some Christians exert tremendous amounts of energy denouncing gays for immorality, yet themselves are guilty of paying for gay or heterosexual prostitutes. Lots of other preachers use anti-gay campaigns to whip up sure-fire attendance and contributions, but never mention REAL problems like adultery, child abuse, and wuss parents who abandon their children. Gays constitute about 3% of the population, heterosexual adulterers constitute at least 10 times that number, yet, the laws and the military and the Christian preachers focus on gays. If anyone is likely to get beat up, it's much more likely that idiot heterosexuals are going to brutalize a gay person, than a bunch of gays are going to rough up a heterosexual.

Why would you say that is?

Look, I know lots of folks who consider themselves Christian. Episcopalians, Quakers, folks from the Metropolitan Community Church, and other mainline Christian denominations. They're all fine, upstanding folks, responsible for themselves, and don't try to push their religion on other people. The world needs more folks like them.
    On the other hand, this planet is afflicted with too many Christians who make non-Christians live according to their particular interpretation of the Bible. They are the ones who change State Constitutions to deny gays and lesbians the right to marriage. They are the ones who want to keep the military 100% heterosexual. They are the ones most likely to beat up queers. And I say, "F--- them and their f------ religion."

Now, in this thread I mentioned several preachers involved in illegal activities, and you commented that I hate Christians. Do you think that those frauds should be overlooked, so that people won't question the value of the Christian religion? Well, tough. The Bible is what it is, God is what it is, and IMHO, individuals should be free to read the Bible and make of it what seems reasonable to them. If they can't differentiate between religious frauds and the words of the Christian Bible, that's their problem. And if you don't like it when I poke fun at religious frauds, well, that's your problem.

and also again Benny Hinn is not chrsitian. He is a wolf in sheep clothing.
    So, you're going to appoint yourself the Cheif Judge of Who Is and Who Is Not a Christian? By what authority do you put yourself in your position? Did God tell you to tell the world who's a True Christian and who isn't?

I didn't think so.

It seems to me that people ought to be free to interpret the Bible for themselves. And if Catholics claim to be Christian, I have no reason to doubt them. And if any of the over 1000 different flavors of Protestants claim to be Christian, I have no reason to doubt them, either. They can practice Christianity in their own way, you can practice it in your own way, Carlos and his partner can practice it in their way, and I won't bother with it at all.
    Until God appoints you with the authority to declare who is a True Christian and who isn't, frauds like Benny Hinn, Robert Tilton, Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, Pat Robertson, who claim to be Christian, are every bit as Christian as you anyone else who claims to be Christian. Maybe they don't beleive the same things you do, but then, untill you become God, they don't have to.

Not all Christians, by any means. I know and like quite a few Christians. But they are the sort of Christian that interpret the Bible for themselves, allow other folks to do likewise, and don't use Religion to scam other people, and don't use the legal system to make other people conform to the Bible.

Consider the fundamentalist Christians who pushed for laws against homosexuality. Gays are prohibited from being in the military. Up until recently, big city fire and police departments wouldn't hire gays. Most small town departments still won't.

It's legal for heterosexuals to get married and divorced seven times a week, and treat marriage as casually as changing dirty underwear. But gay couples that have been together for 20+ years cannot, because some Christians say that God doesn't like such things.

Some Christians exert tremendous amounts of energy denouncing gays for immorality, yet themselves are guilty of paying for gay or heterosexual prostitutes. Lots of other preachers use anti-gay campaigns to whip up sure-fire attendance and contributions, but never mention REAL problems like adultery, child abuse, and wuss parents who abandon their children. Gays constitute about 3% of the population, heterosexual adulterers constitute at least 10 times that number, yet, the laws and the military and the Christian preachers focus on gays. If anyone is likely to get beat up, it's much more likely that idiot heterosexuals are going to brutalize a gay person, than a bunch of gays are going to rough up a heterosexual.
    Oh get over it! This is whole feel sorry for me, I am gay thing is getting so tire-some. 99% of the world has been discriminated against in some way over some thing. Just like 2000 years ago christians were being prosecuted for believing in God and now radical muslims discriminate agianst every one who is not radical muslim. It's the way the world is and will always be.

So, you're going to appoint yourself the Cheif Judge of Who Is and Who Is Not a Christian? By what authority do you put yourself in your position? Did God tell you to tell the world who's a True Christian and who isn't?

I didn't think so.

It seems to me that people ought to be free to interpret the Bible for themselves. And if Catholics claim to be Christian, I have no reason to doubt them. And if any of the over 1000 different flavors of Protestants claim to be Christian, I have no reason to doubt them, either. They can practice Christianity in their own way, you can practice it in your own way, Carlos and his partner can practice it in their way, and I won't bother with it at all.
    Until God appoints you with the authority to declare who is a True Christian and who isn't, frauds like Benny Hinn, Robert Tilton, Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, Pat Robertson, who claim to be Christian, are every bit as Christian as you anyone else who claims to be Christian. Maybe they don't beleive the same things you do, but then, untill you become God, they don't have to.
    Where in my post did I annoint my self Chief Judge of who and who is not a christian? 99% of true christian believers know that these guys are scum bags and are trying to milk every last penny form these innocent people. You said it yourself, they are FRAUDS!

Where in my post did I annoint my self Chief Judge of who and who is not a christian? 99% of true christian believers know that these guys are scum bags and are trying to milk every last penny form these innocent people. You said it yourself, they are FRAUDS!
    Right here:
    Originally Posted by givemethejuice
    and also again Benny Hinn is not chrsitian. He is a wolf in sheep clothing.
    You claim the right to decide if Benny Hinn is or is not a Christian. You mention the "99% of True Christian Beleivers," so you presumably have some set of standards you use to decide Those Who Are and Those Who Aren't. True Christian Beleivers.
    I don't know if I'm more impressed by your confidence, or by your presumptiveness.

Oh get over it! This is whole feel sorry for me, I am gay thing is getting so tire-some. 99% of the world has been discriminated against in some way over some thing. Just like 2000 years ago christians were being prosecuted for believing in God and now radical muslims discriminate agianst every one who is not radical muslim. It's the way the world is and will always be.
    You know, you're 100% correct.

From now on, whenever Idiot right-wing conservative Christians use government to deny my friends and I equal treatment before the law, I'll just roll over and let them f--- me.

If they ever succeed in passing laws like what they have in other countries, where gay people are jailed or killed, I'll take your advice to heart, and I'll just roll over and let them f--- me.

If they ever succeed in rescinding laws that guarantee gays and lesbians equal status, then I'll take your advice to heart, and not only watch silently while companies fire suspected gay employees, but I'll continue to patronize those companies.

But then again, maybe not.

Maybe the "way the world is and always will be" is a constant struggle between annoying idiots with unreasonable notions of their place in society, and those affected by their delusions.

I'm sure lots of people agree with you. But I'm also certain that lots of people would disagree. Time will tell how things ultimately work out, won't it?

Thread Information