Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    singern is offline Banned

Russia offers India 4 nuclear reactors

Jan. 25, 2007 13:54 | Updated Jan. 25, 2007 13:58
    Russia offers to build India 4 nuclear reactors
    By ASSOCIATED PRESS

Russian President Vladimir Putin offered to build four new nuclear reactors for energy starved India on Thursday, cementing his country's traditional role as India's main nuclear benefactor.

A memorandum of understanding on the plants was inked by the heads of the Russian and Indian nuclear agencies after a meeting between Putin and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

Putin arrived in India on Thursday, hoping to use the two nations' decades-long friendship to push for deals in civilian nuclear cooperation, military hardware and trade expansion between the booming economies.

Russia has been eager to reassert its traditional role as the chief supplier of nuclear technology and know-how to India in the wake of a landmark civilian nuclear cooperation deal between New Delhi and Washington last year that appeared to give US companies a strong position in India's nuclear market.

Russia is currently helping India build two 1,000-megawatt nuclear reactors in the southern town of Kudankulam.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Who the hell will take the NPT seriously when both the USA and Russia doesnt give a shit.

singern is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    Who the hell will take the NPT seriously when both the USA and Russia doesnt give a shit.
    I dont know if thats a fair statement, as long as international and IAEA monitors are along for the ride.
    And yes I would say the same for Iran, if monitoring at every level was complete and transparent.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by singern
    I dont know if thats a fair statement, as long as international and IAEA monitors are along for the ride.
    And yes I would say the same for Iran, if monitoring at every level was complete and transparent.
    Well that is the thing. India is not a part of the NPT and do not allow IAEA inspections.

The deal they make with the USA will open up the Indian civilian facilities for inspections. But not the military ones.
    Aslong as russia and usa are sharing nuclear technology with India they are spitting on the NPT.

I have no doubt that india is mature enough to handle nuclear weapons. But the NPT should reign supreme. They havent signed it, they choose to get nuclear weapons and they should have to pay for that chooise. Just because they happen to be friendly to us doesnt mean we should treat them any better than other rouge nuclear weapon states.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    i agree NPT is a joke. on the other side, i think india using nuclear coudl help out alot considering how disgusting and overcrowded that country is, and their shitball government will dam up any river for hydroelectric power withotu even telling ethnic minorities who are to be flooded out.

Thread Information