DTBusta is offline Associate Member

Thumbs down FBI admits abuse of Patriot Act

Here it is, just another blunder while this president is in office...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/c0e79af6-ce8...b5df10621.html

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    The Bush administration misused its authority and improperly obtained personal information about people in the US on hundreds of occasions, according to a report released by a US Justice Department watchdog.

I'll be glad when the Bushites are gone . . .

Logan13 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    The Bush administration misused its authority and improperly obtained personal information about people in the US on hundreds of occasions, according to a report released by a US Justice Department watchdog.

I'll be glad when the Bushites are gone . . .
    Hey captain obvious....
    Who is the leader of the Justice Department?
    Answer: Attorney General Alberto Gonzales
    who appointed him?
    Answer: Bush

Gonzales, asked to step down by Shumer>?

Quote Originally Posted by DTBusta
    Gonzales, asked to step down by Shumer>?
    ah yes, shumer. That stroke makes crazy statements every weekend. A politician who goes in to talk with Rosie O'Donnel.....

Hes done some good things for us here in NY, better things than Guiliani and his "window washer" initiative...Shumer has said some crazy things, but none the less Gonzales just admitted to abuse , so he may end up stepping down, specially with a democratic majority. And if he broke the law, shouldn't he Logan? Isn't that justice?

Quote Originally Posted by DTBusta
    Hes done some good things for us here in NY, better things than Guiliani and his "window washer" initiative...Shumer has said some crazy things, but none the less Gonzales just admitted to abuse , so he may end up stepping down, specially with a democratic majority. And if he broke the law, shouldn't he Logan? Isn't that justice?
    tell me what law Gonzales broke, than I will answer your question.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan13
    tell me what law Gonzales broke, than I will answer your question.
    Invasion of privacy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Man
    Invasion of privacy?
    So you would prosecute the one who first did the investigating of these allegations? That makes no sense. Do you understand what the US Attorney General job is, he is not the Director of the FBI? Perhaps you just miss Janet Reno..........

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    So you would prosecute the one who first did the investigating of these allegations? That makes no sense. Do you understand what the US Attorney General job is, he is not the Director of the FBI? Perhaps you just miss Janet Reno..........
    That was an accidental quote, was just trying to reply to the thread in general. I knew from its inception that the patriot act was bad news. As far as gonzales goes, i'm under the impression that the issue is that he may have mislead congress intentionally. Whether that's a crime or not, i'm unsure. It's certainly not cool in my book though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Man
    That was an accidental quote, was just trying to reply to the thread in general. I knew from its inception that the patriot act was bad news. As far as gonzales goes, i'm under the impression that the issue is that he may have mislead congress intentionally. Whether that's a crime or not, i'm unsure. It's certainly not cool in my book though.
    it is hard to seperate what is factual and what is hopeful thinking from what I hear and read on the news anymore. As always, innocent until proven guilty.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    jeez logan, as consevative as you are, i've always thought of you as given to reason. gonzalez is the guy who's argued that us citizens don't have the right to habeus corpus. i don't care what your perspective is, this guy needs to go. he's the conservative equiv. to al sharpton.

Shane35aa is offline Senior Member
    Wow never thought I would see conservative and Al Sharpton in sam sentence.

Mus505 is offline New Member
    bush should be impeached....

Quote Originally Posted by J.S.N.
    jeez logan, as consevative as you are, i've always thought of you as given to reason. gonzalez is the guy who's argued that us citizens don't have the right to habeus corpus. i don't care what your perspective is, this guy needs to go. he's the conservative equiv. to al sharpton.
    OUCH, on that comparison....
    But in all seriousness, I have heard plenty of people calling for Gonzalez's resignation, but no one can tell me what law he broke. If they can not even come up with a law that he violated, than it sounds like a witch-hunt to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mus505
    bush should be impeached....
    thank a soldier for you right to say such baseless dribble.....

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    Logan - if your job is to protect the rights of the american people and corruption or abuse of power is running rampant whether you are involved or not your going to be associated with it and to save the sanctity of the position you must be fired. The position and what it means is much more important then the person.

Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    Logan - if your job is to protect the rights of the american people and corruption or abuse of power is running rampant whether you are involved or not your going to be associated with it and to save the sanctity of the position you must be fired. The position and what it means is much more important then the person.
    Again, what law was broke? The Director of the FBI is the one who needs to be questioned on this. Between this and the release of the Fed. prosecuting Attorneys, there is without a doubt a witch hunt going on around Gonzalez. Republicans never carried on like this about Janet Reno, and they had much more cause to do so..........

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    Again, what law was broke? The Director of the FBI is the one who needs to be questioned on this. Between this and the release of the Fed. prosecuting Attorneys, there is without a doubt a witch hunt going on around Gonzalez. Republicans never carried on like this about Janet Reno, and they had much more cause to do so..........

well 4th amendment for one. unjustified wiretaps on US citizens who arent suspected of terrorism was not the objective of the patriot act. it was to weed out terrorism home and abroad. our rights being infringed upon was appeased because of fear. Now what many have said who opposed it has come true. This is Nixon-esque meglomania.

i agree the head of the FBI should be questioned but when the person who is charged with protecting the rights of the american people turns a blind eye to this situation he must face the consequences as well. This is graver then most people realize and sets a dangerous precendent if the kitchen isnt cleaned. I feel that a lot of heads need to role. This is a stab at an american value that we have fought for. it was one cornerstone for our fight for independence in the first place!

Thread Information