Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Logan13 is offline Banned

Pace Of ***ortation Rises: 221,664 Illegals Sent Home Last Year

PACE OF ***ORTATION RISES: 221,664 ILLEGALS SENT HOME LAST YEAR
    Drudge Report
    04/30/07
    NEW BEDFORD, Mass. — The day after his wife was ***orted to their home country, Honduras, Lilo Mancía grieved as though she had died.

Neighbors arrived with doughnuts and juice for their two small children, while Mr. Mancía, an illegal immigrant like his wife, María Briselda Amaya, took telephone calls from relatives and tried not to break down.

“The first thing I thought of was the children,” Mr. Mancía, who is fighting his own ***ortation order, told the visitors gathered in his second floor walkup apartment in New Bedford a couple of weeks ago. “The future we imagined for them, it all collapsed.”

Last year on May 1, hoping to influence Congress to adopt legislation making illegal immigrants legal, hundreds of thousands of immigrants held marches and work stoppages across the country. This May 1 there will be another round of rallies and marches, but this time immigrants will also be protesting a surge in ***ortations.

The events are expected to be much smaller than a year ago, organizers said, as stepped-up enforcement by the authorities has made illegal immigrants wary of protesting in public and more doubtful that Congress will soon act to give them a chance at legalization.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials, facing intense political pressure to toughen enforcement, removed 221,664 illegal immigrants from the country over the last year, an increase of more than 37,000 — about 20 percent — over the year before, according to the agency’s tally.

While President Bush and many Democrats have called for a path to legalize some 12 million illegal immigrants, a significant number of Republicans in Congress reject the plan because they view it as amnesty for lawbreakers. They advocate a broader campaign of ***ortations that would expel many illegal immigrants and, they say, drive millions more to give up and go home.

“We are not calling for I.C.E. to become the Gestapo knocking on doors in the middle of the night,” said Rosemary Jenks, director of government relations for NumbersUSA, a group in Washington that seeks to curb immigration. “But we have to increase the likelihood that if you are here illegally you will be caught.”

So far, many of the ***ortations have caused illegal families to hunker down and plot ways to avoid detection and resist ***ortation, not run voluntarily for the border, immigrant advocates said. In Massachusetts, immigration agents have been challenged by lawyers, labor unions and state officials who question their raid tactics and are fighting trench by legal trench to block ***ortations.

Mr. Mancía was amazed at the offers of help he received, including from the Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition, the state’s ***artment of Social Services and Senator Edward M. Kennedy, Democrat of Massachusetts.

Mr. Mancía has been given emergency aid to pay his bills while his ***ortation case proceeds, and Elizabeth Badger, a public service lawyer in Boston, was still fighting his wife’s ***ortation after she was on the ground in Honduras.

“I’m not going anywhere,” Mr. Mancía declared defiantly to a downstairs neighbor. “I’m going to stand my ground here until I win.”

Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials say their priority is to locate and ***ort fugitive immigrants with criminal records or convicts who are finishing prison sentences. Still, thousands of illegal immigrants like the Mancías with no criminal history have been caught in raids, the officials acknowledge.

Also, new expedited procedures have allowed agents greater flexibility to ***ort illegal immigrants caught in border areas, bypassing court hearings. Many immigrants, when caught, agree to leave voluntarily because it means they are not barred from returning legally in the future.

Seen from the working class communities like New Bedford, the ***ortations are a blunt instrument. Frequently the ***orted immigrants were not alone in the United States, but came from families with a mix of legal and illegal members who were well settled in this country.

A growing number of ***ortee families have children who were born here and are United States citizens. (The Mancía’s younger son, Jeffrey, was born in Texas.) More than 3.1 million American children have at least one illegal immigrant parent, said Jeffrey S. Passel, a demographer at the Pew Hispanic Center.

Mr. Mancía and his wife were among 361 workers arrested on March 6 in an immigration raid at Michael Bianco Inc., a leather goods factory in this faded manufacturing town. She remained in detention while he was released to care for their boys, Jeffrey, 2, and Kevin, 5.

On April 18, Ms. Amaya was awakened at 4 a.m., driven by immigration agents to Kennedy Airport in New York and placed on a passenger flight to Honduras, Mr. Mancía said. Telephoning her husband as soon as she could place an international call, she said little, only that she was disoriented and more afraid of her home country than an American jail. She has no house, property or job in Honduras.

“She has no words right now,” Mr. Mancía said, explaining why his wife refused to be interviewed by telephone.

Mr. Mancía has been left to fight off his own ***ortation and face a series of difficult choices.

He must decide, he said, whether to press his case in the United States or declare defeat and take the boys to rejoin their mother in Honduras. If forced to ***art, he will weigh whether to leave his sons with friends in New Bedford to get a quality of schooling he believes they will not have in Honduras. Mr. Mancía said he and his wife had decided to leave their home in San Pedro Sula, Honduras, for their safety, because criminal gangs used the streets as a combat zone. Ms. Amaya’s sister was on a public bus returning from Christmas shopping on Dec. 23, 2004, when gang gunmen shot it up, killing her and 27 other passengers, he said.

“We walked over dead bodies in Honduras,” Mr. Mancía said. “The children see that and they don’t grow up well.”

He was the first to come to the United States, crossing at night at Laredo, Texas. In January 2005 Ms. Amaya took the same route, carrying Kevin, then a toddler. Caught by the Border Patrol, she applied for political asylum and was released temporarily. After Jeffrey was born in Houston, they came to New Bedford. Her asylum petition was eventually denied.

Stitching military backpacks in the Bianco factory at $7.00 an hour, the couple achieved stability that felt almost like prosperity. They bought a white aluminum kitchen set and a microwave oven. Kevin was content in kindergarten, reciting his ABC’s and chattering in English, which neither parent speaks.

Soon they had a family cluster in New Bedford, as three other relatives from Honduras, drawn by word of jobs at Bianco, came to work there as well.

“We knew it would be hard to get legal papers,” Mr. Mancía said. “Since so many people were in the same situation, we learned to live like the rest.”

After the March 6 raid, immigration lawyers appealed Ms. Amaya’s asylum case and she became optimistic. But she remained in immigration detention in the Bristol County jail, unable to receive visits from the children.

“He is refusing to eat and needs to be coaxed to take sustenance,” Arthur Dutra, a teacher at the John Hannigan School, wrote in a March 15 letter about Kevin’s condition. “He asks for his mother repeatedly.”

A nurse at the Greater New Bedford Community Health Center, Jacqueline Arieta, wrote in a separate letter that Jeffrey was having recurring earaches and losing his appetite due to “acute sadness.”

A gaunt man with a mild voice, Mr. Mancía said he did not mind cooking for the boys or washing their clothes at the Laundromat. He said he and his wife, balancing two factory jobs, had learned they both had to do housework.

The help he has received in fighting his ***ortation has allowed him to believe that he might avoid his wife’s fate, even though he has no papers, no job skill to offer other than hard work and very limited legal avenues to pursue. Although Jeffrey is an American citizen, he would not be able to petition for his parents to be admitted to the country legally until he was 21.

Mr. Mancía said he was preparing for any outcome, even the prospect of a separation from one or both sons so they could remain at least temporarily in the United States.

“My son is an American,” Mr. Mancía said “He needs to be educated in American schools, to speak English. He needs this country.”

Ms. Jenks, of NumbersUSA , said the responsibility for the impact on children of the ***ortations rests with their parents.

“If parents are going to come here illegally, unfortunately the child faces the consequences as well,” she said.

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    have to build a berlin wall style structure on the borders. add landmines if need be. all vehicles crossing the border must have all doors open as they cross.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    they were talking about a woman from Chicago last night that is supposed to be ***orted. But she had a child while here and he is a legal citizen. Some church is letting her live there in sanctuary.

They were complaining that it breaks apart families and isn't fair. I don't see it that way. Its not like you cant take your kid with you when you leave. They chose to come here illegally and have children. Its not a shock it could happen. Its a risk they took. Just because its said why should they be allowed a free pass. All that's going to do is make more illegal immigrants have kids when they get here so they can stay.

Also why doesnt it seem like its a bigger problem with Mexicans and south Americans. You dont see it as much with Europeans.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    they were talking about a woman from Chicago last night that is supposed to be ***orted. But she had a child while here and he is a legal citizen. Some church is letting her live there in sanctuary.

They were complaining that it breaks apart families and isn't fair. I don't see it that way. Its not like you cant take your kid with you when you leave. They chose to come here illegally and have children. Its not a shock it could happen. Its a risk they took. Just because its said why should they be allowed a free pass. All that's going to do is make more illegal immigrants have kids when they get here so they can stay.

Also why doesnt it seem like its a bigger problem with Mexicans and south Americans. You dont see it as much with Europeans.
    Because Europeans can't walk over here. Plus most European countries are better off economically than Mexico and South American countries. Europeans did the same thing at the turn of the century and up until the 1930s.

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31
    Because Europeans can't walk over here. Plus most European countries are better off economically than Mexico and South American countries. Europeans did the same thing at the turn of the century and up until the 1930s.
    I understand that. I meant more the bitching and demanding they have the right to be here. Also i noticed Europeans are more willing to assimilate to the culture.

I understand that. I meant more the bitching and demanding they have the right to be here. Also i noticed Europeans are more willing to assimilate to the culture.

First you are going to see more hispanics protesting because they are the largest number of aliens in the country. But if you look at last years protests, there were people of all ethnic orgins protesting.

Europeans are less likely to come here illegally because the expense incurred for the travel. If they are ***orted the cost to them is much higher than that of Mexicans and S. Americans.

And what Europeans are more willing to assimilate? Are you speaking of the large Eastern European communities throughout the United States who continue to speak their language and continue their other cultures in their own communities? And when assimilating, what culture should they assimilate to? What exactly is American culture (besides the language). This country is great because of our ethnic diversity not in spite of it.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~

i think we should ***ort the mothers, and keep the kids.. we need soilders raised in orphanages..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned

Europeans built this country.

Can someone clerify this for me
    If a couple comes over here illegally and has a child here, the child is considered a US Citizen?

Is that kind of like having a bag of ****, and taking a seed out, and growing a plant, but the plant is ok?

Quote Originally Posted by SVTMuscle
    Europeans built this country.

Can someone clerify this for me
    If a couple comes over here illegally and has a child here, the child is considered a US Citizen?

Is that kind of like having a bag of ****, and taking a seed out, and growing a plant, but the plant is ok?

That's bullshit!!!! This country was built by all immigrants, both forced and willing immigrants. Not just Europeans!!!

I knew someone would slip up and mention why this immigration thing is such a problem. It's just typical of people trying to portray racial superiority. Since according to SVT Europeans built this country (which we know isn't entirely true) it would be ok if all the illegals were European because anyone who isn't white (European) is the problem with our country and Europeans only make it better.

I knew someone would eventually show their true colors. And unfortunately that is the true underlying issue of this immigration issue. Too bad, because immigration really is a really big problem that effects all of us Americans. And no one criminal (illegal alien) is better than another because of their country of origin.
    Last edited by BgMc31; 05-02-2007 at 07:39 PM.

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    lol i live in New Bedford Mass

when my family came here they didnt demand "para espanol, preso numero dos" ok. thats what pisses people off. the frigging accomodations that are made that just annoy people. ok. the fact that channel 6, 17, 18, 16 are frgging spanish right now. and the goddam hockey game im watching is on channel 408.

Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    when my family came here they didnt demand "para espanol, preso numero dos" ok. thats what pisses people off. the frigging accomodations that are made that just annoy people. ok. the fact that channel 6, 17, 18, 16 are frgging spanish right now. and the goddam hockey game im watching is on channel 408.

That's what pisses me off. I can walk into an other immigrant store. Asian, Indian or European and they all have spoken English. I have walked into Hispanic owned stores in Hispanic neighborhoods and they dont speak a word.

The Europeans i know dont expect us to learn their language so they are comfortable. Hispanics do. (granted not all and I'm sure there are some Europeans that do)

Like i said i never seen any other immigrant nationality besides Hispanics demanding us to conform to them. If i did see a bunch of Europeans doing that it would piss me off equally as much.

That's what pisses me off. I can walk into an other immigrant store. Asian, Indian or European and they all have spoken English. I have walked into Hispanic owned stores in Hispanic neighborhoods and they dont speak a word.

The Europeans i know dont expect us to learn their language so they are comfortable. Hispanics do. (granted not all and I'm sure there are some Europeans that do)

Like i said i never seen any other immigrant nationality besides Hispanics demanding us to conform to them. If i did see a bunch of Europeans doing that it would piss me off equally as much.

+1......

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    god its unreal you come to this country illegally and then you go make protests complaing about citizenships. its like you dont even belong here in the first place
    Last edited by Lexed; 05-02-2007 at 04:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    I agree with logan european immigrants are completly different story.

Jon0489 is offline Junior Member
    yes the kid is a citzen and if a cuben touches land they are a citzen but the coast guard can stop them in the water, funny

Blog Entries
    Jerry Jerrry Jerrry

Logan, you pointed to Europeans coming into Ellis Island during the turn of the century, but if you do you research, crime statistics exploded in New York and the surrounding areas with these new immigrants as well.

You don't see non-hispanics protesting, the first person interviewed by Fox News (your buddies, Logan) was an illegal from N. Ireland.

Lastly Givemejuice, I went to high school in El Paso Texas and like El Paso, Mesquite has always been mostly hispanic.

Again, you can't convince me that there is a difference in European immigrants and Hispanic immigrants. Neither is better or worse than others and thinking otherwise is simply racists ideology.

Just admit it you all... you would much rather the immigrants to be white than non-whites, right?

Logan, you pointed to Europeans coming into Ellis Island during the turn of the century, but if you do you research, crime statistics exploded in New York and the surrounding areas with these new immigrants as well
    Crime exploded because of poverty and the lack of law enforement. Besides, they came into this country legally.....

Just admit it you all... you would much rather the immigrants to be white than non-whites, right?
    I prefer my immigrants to be green.

Logan, you pointed to Europeans coming into Ellis Island during the turn of the century, but if you do you research, crime statistics exploded in New York and the surrounding areas with these new immigrants as well.

You don't see non-hispanics protesting, the first person interviewed by Fox News (your buddies, Logan) was an illegal from N. Ireland.

Lastly Givemejuice, I went to high school in El Paso Texas and like El Paso, Mesquite has always been mostly hispanic.

Again, you can't convince me that there is a difference in European immigrants and Hispanic immigrants. Neither is better or worse than others and thinking otherwise is simply racists ideology.

I agree illegal is illegal. Now legal or not if you are living here you should speak English or at least be learning it. And it doesn't matter what language they speak. It pisses me off when my girl speaks a lot of Russian in public

crime stats exploded because of the automobile..... not immigration.

givemethejuice is offline Junior Member

Again, !!! I lived in Ennis,TX for the first eighteen years of my life, and Mesquite is only a 25 mile trip. Town East was the only mall we used up until 2002! Know why we don't use it anymore? Because, Hispanic illegal immigrants loiter there from sun up to sun down and their our honestly 20-30 cops on duty at all times! They have their own police station at the mall for god sakes! And just because you have lived in El Paso does not mean you are familiar with Mesquite lol. Texas is the second biggest state in the U.S. we are on oppisite ends. You might as well be living in California, you are almost a 1000 miles away.

p.s. I live in Rockwall, Tx. now, 8 miles form Mesquite, so I still know how Town East is. We go to a mall that is 20 miles further than Town East just to avoid that place.

gigem is offline Banned
    lots of good stuff to be read heres how i feel im too from texas and do realize the importantce of the WORKERS not the gang bangn punks if you dont work your gone if you break the law your gone you will not be on welfare or any govt funded programs you want the right to live here get a job dont sneak over here and beg or demand shit you want spanish or whateverlanguage go the fvck back where you come from. its simple in my opinion we waste alot of money can anyone come up with those figures? how much they help vs how much we spend? theres the argument i bet its pretty close hell they dont pay taxes and send most of it back home hmmmmmmmmm
    Last edited by gigem; 05-04-2007 at 11:33 AM.

I'm not racist! My dog is brown!

I'm not racist! My dog is brown!
    Well, I know a brown dog, he's my dog's best friend....

Sorry, just wanted to contribute to the cliche saying.

gigem is offline Banned
    well i guess its henry fords fault for all of this shit hell i didnt know illegals could get a dl lol

Thread Information