Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member

First MMA fighter passes away after a bout

Samuel Vasquez, who had been fighting for his life since suffering a knockout on Oct. 20, passed away Friday at the age of 35, according to a report by The Fight Network.

He is the first mixed martial artist to die from an injury incurred or aggravated while competing in a regulated bout. He participated in bout at the Toyota Center in Houston on a "Renegades Extreme Fighting" card, which was sanctioned by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

Vasquez was rushed to the Saint Joseph Medical Center’s Critical Care Unit. Vasquez’s unfortunate death would unfold 41 days later. On November 30th, the Harris County Medical Examiner’s office pronounced that Samuel Vasquez had passed away. At this moment the cause of Vasquez’s death has not been revealed. Vasquez is survived by his wife, Sandra and their 7 year old son.
    Last edited by Odpierdol_sie!; 12-02-2007 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Supporting Info

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    it was bound to happen sometime. I wonder if this will draw any attention by the media or blow over.

I am very surprised more don't die..

I think its down to the type of trauma fighters are subject to. Its not like anything else in sport. Boxing is far more dangerous.

It is said that he may have had something wrong that escalated once being knocked out. this is just hear say and wont come to light until after the autopsy

Dagron is offline Junior Member
    The news has been quiet lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they all decide to run with this and get the "MMA is evil" bandwagon rolling

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    actually a guy died back in 98 or 99 in an unsanctioned bout (i think its on youtube), so that would make this the 2nd fighter

Coop77 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by godkilla View Post
    actually a guy died back in 98 or 99 in an unsanctioned bout (i think its on youtube), so that would make this the 2nd fighter
    Arguably yes you are right but it was not sanctioned.
    Unsanctioned fights go on all over the world, and have done for thousands of years. Technically this fatality is more severe as 1. it happened on American soil, 2 was sanctioned under a state recognised athletic commission which is regulated by a national/international recognised governing body.

The guy who died in early '98 couldn't get cleared to fight in the US or Japan, even back then when MMA was in its infant stages (what does that tell you).

I aint seen this clip for a good while, I think you would be hard pushed to call this MMA, its just 2 guys who do martial arts having a fight.
    Like the days of UFC I onwards, with Keith Hackney, Roland Payne, Emanuell Yarbrough, and all them other so called MMA fighters.

Thread Information