oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member

New guy with more Q's than A's.

Hey folks,
    5'9, 178, 41.9 years old.

I have been researching here and elsewhere pretty actively for a couple weeks. I've also been researching and contemplating a cycle over the last several years, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
    I'm 42 next week, I've been training in one form or another for most of my adult life. I have been dieting for the past 10 months, of which I've been leaning for the past 5. My diet is very clean and pretty well dialed-in.

I attend X-Fit 4-5 days weekly, as well as run 12-15 miles 4-5 days weekly. (when I was trying to bulk up, I wasn't running) Before that, I had been doing more traditional body-part per day workouts, and bulk up/trim down routines for years. My goal is not to get huge. I've always been active and prefer lean over big.

Since I turned about 38 or so, I've noticed it's exponentially harder to gain muscle, or especially to lose fat while keeping it. I'm in a rut of either being able to gain, but not keep extra fat off, or lose, but not be able to retain muscle. I am working and dieting far too hard to not see the results I'm wanting, and I'm REALLY feeling my age the last few years.

Dropping weight has never been a problem for me. Keeping muscle while doing it though, just gets harder as I go along. Nowadays, once I get a calorie level that allows me to slowly drop weight, I start inevitably losing muscle and strength. My workouts become much less intense and more of a drag too.

Anyway, I read the "Ajax Post" many times, and It sounds much like my story. Trouble is that as I read opinions about a topic, there are always others who think differently, or exactly the opposite. I think I've found some basic consensus, but it seems there's still a lot to sift through. I'm hoping some of you guys can help me clarify, and help find the right plan for me.

I want a simple 'first timer' cycle with the idea of leaning up, and maintaining muscle mass. Enlarging or gaining muscle is secondary. I'll never say no to more muscle, but primarily I'm looking for lean and hard.
    I may want to do a bulking cycle later, but for now I want to rip it up.

Also, I'd like it to be not super complex or long, as I want to see how it feels and works a little at a time. - being a newbie and all.

Anavar (from the descriptions here and elsewhere) sounds perfect.

I am fine with needles and doing Test with it. Also doing Nolva, etc. as PCT. But I keep reading that it works fine as a stand-alone as well. The prevailing wisdom here seems to be always use Test with any cycle. What is right??

Can someone recommend an ideal cycle for what I want?? (schedule, dosage, etc.) Can I run an Anavar only cycle for 6-8 weeks?

I'd like to post pix, and keep a sort of diary in this thread as well. - Maybe for someone else like me, with more Q's than A's. Also, I think looking back and keeping a diay can help you find problems and make improvements.

Thanks for any updated info.
    Last edited by oatmeal69; 07-18-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Add-On, syntax.

Here's a pic. I know compared to most, I'm neither big, nor ripped... But for me, this is pretty good at age 42, LOL... I'm in shape, I just want to look more like it. - That's why I'm here.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Hi.....just welcomed you in the new members section.

And you look pretty good compared to lots, I agree.

IMO: A little diet help in the Diet Question forum would take you to a whole new level before starting your first cycle. It will make all the difference in the world. Getting BF down first helps to prevent sides like gyno which many guys try to avoid at all cost.

Hope to see ya there~

PS: JUST RE-READ YOUR POST. PLEASE READ THE RULES! THANKS!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Ok, thanks. I'll post my current diet over there and see what I come up with.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    The diet section is a great start for you.....

Have you had any recent bloodwork done? It would be wise to find out what your test levels are at..... cholesterol also. Anavar is a cholesterol killer..... brings down the good numbers and increases the bad.

Once you get bloodwork done and we know where your test levels are..... we can better advise. You may be a candidate for HRT in which case your insurance may pay for testosterone injections. This would certainly help your cause if your levels are low already.

Best of luck,
    ~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

glover is offline Associate Member
    Welcome Oatmeal,

A good start for a first timer at your age and goals would be Test Cypionate or Enthanate 2ml of 200mg/ml per week giving you a total of 400 mg per week. Can do this for 8-12 weeks would also add Hcg weekly with this and save the Nolva for two weeks after. There are many post on how to run pct but at our age it will be important to find what works for you. This along with a good lean diet will increase muscle and help you loose some fat.

want a simple 'first timer' cycle with the idea of leaning up, and maintaining muscle mass.

Hi Glover -
    I just saw your post, I thought this thread had died. Wanted to say thanks, that's almost exactly what I'm doing. - That and I got my diet working better as well.

Strongarm5791 is offline New Member
    I would have to agree with Glover. Test is Best....Go get 'em.

Yep, once I got my diet in much better shape I started Test-E for a 12 week cycle starting @ 400mg/wk and up to 600mg/week the final 6 weeks. I'm also using EQ at 600mg / wk. I'm now entering week 6.

So far I just love it, I've not felt this good in years. I can actually see results from training now, like when I was younger - instead of blah blah, nothing much.
    Just a tad of bloat, and very minor acne, but I haven't resorted to the arimidex or nolva I have ready yet.
    After my cycle, depending on how much fat is left I may head for the Clen , but I might not even need to. My weight has stayed the same, and I'm noticeably leaner, so I think I'm doing all right. My whole body is slowly transforming!
    I am SO glad I did some research here, and got my diet in check first, but I'm also 100% happy I started a cycle too so far.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Sounds like you are having the same experience I had when I started TRT. My weight stayed pretty much the same, but my body changed drastically. Things started to come together better when I got better control over my diet. I know it is boring to see everyone say that diet is the key...but it is true. Damn it. And cardo helps a lot too. Double damn it. Heh.

Throw up some pics when you are done. Glad it is going well so far.

Totally. Diet and cardio have to be spot-on, there's no way around that. I just wish cardio wasn't so boring.

Strongarm5791 is offline New Member
    I'd rather get pecked to death by baby ducks, than hit the treadmill, or bike....but, when you have to, you have too, and I keep telling myself it's good for me.

I will run outside if at all possible, at least the scenery changes. I also find that once I go as far out as I'm going to, (I.E. the halfway point) the return trip is FAR easier.
    I won't ride a bike, stationary or otherwise unless I absolutely have no choice. I came from a home in hilly Colorado where my folks would never give me a ride anywhere. Hearing the words, "Ride your bike!" still chaps my ass, LOL

Thread Information