7 25.00%
  • i just want to see the results

1 3.57%
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By yosimitesam
  • 1 Post By fireeater49
  • 1 Post By Brazensol
  • 1 Post By Times Roman

Thread: does it take you longer to recuperate from a workout, as you've gotten older?

steppenwolf is offline Associate Member

Cool does it take you longer to recuperate from a workout, as you've gotten older?

i found that it takes me 2.5 times longer to recuperate from a workout and make gains.

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    At almost 41 and being off for 11 years due to injury i just started training again 5 months ago, i am not doing supra heavyweights, and i feel i dont even need to anymore.

I use Vince Gironda variation 8 X 8 and added some 100 reps here and there, a few jealous people at my job mostly fat slobs in there 50 that look like total crap told me that i would have huge issues losing weight, recuperation and more, to be honest and i am not taking steroids either i see no difference here and when i was 25 years old.

For the weight loss it is a bit longer but for recuperation and more i feel its more diet then age. I eat a high protein diet, and since starting dissicated liver pills i feel amazing. I also cook everything with coconut oil and make sure to eat enough saturated fats from meat whole eggs, egg white dont fit well with me what a waste, and fruits from mixed berries.

I also take 5000IU of vitamine D per day and a few others supplements like fish oil and more.

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    I found years ago that supplementing with extra aminos works well for me. I take 3 with each meal and seem to recuperate faster.

yosimitesam is offline Associate Member
    Good poll. I'm 43, and while my muscles do a good job of recovering, my joints are another story. I should say in some areas. My hips are more problematic than when I was in my 20s, so I've gone to wearing squat briefs during leg night to offset that. I've also invested in a safety squat bar to ease the pressure on my elbows, biceps and wrists, which were problematic doing squats even when I was younger. A swiss bar helps when my shoulders act up, and warming up and stretching on my roman chair keeps my back from giving me the finger during deadlifts.

My age has forced me to invest in re-thinking my pre-workout warm up routine, and past injuries has made me pay more attention to form. Doing so cuts down on both my recovery time and the likelihood the rest of my body rejects being able to work out on schedule.
    Brazensol and ChiSao like this.

fireeater49 is offline Associate Member
    Warming up is soooo important for me. Not just lifting specific warmup ups but all over core warmups. Also noticed that splitting workouts in half works wonders for me. I lift weights 10 days a month (while I am on duty at fire station) splitting legs,deadlifts,and arms in one day and chest,back, shoulders another. Cut down on the volume but current program is taking 10 rep max on basic lift (God help you finish ten reps weight) and try to get 20 reps with 30 sec rest between lifts. Intensity is high, time is short, strength is still going up and bf going down.

Its kinda like life itself, you sometimes gotta be open to try something different to get your goals because as your aging your body is different.
    ChiSao likes this.

Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Don't dare skip the warmups now. My 18 year old son (workout partner) doesn't quite understand that just yet! I do a four day split (M-T-Th-F) and am pretty beat come Friday night... just about like right now! Joints seem to take the majority of the pain. My muscles actually seem to recover about the same as I remember from my thirties. I do squats on Monday morning when I am theoretically freshest and it does seem to help. I soak them later that night in a fairly hot bath with some epsom salts (about 45 minutes) and though they are sore come Tuesday, by Wednesday (48hrs for me is usually when I hit my most sore point after a workout) they are actually better than Tuesday. I think the bath/salts goes a long way in this speedier recovery.

I also bike most every day, and though Tuesdays are the least fun to do cardio, I think that helps make the soreness go away faster too...
    ChiSao likes this.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm 51.

gains come real slow.

losses come real fast.

I lost 35 lbs in may in a couple of weeks or so due to some weird intestinal blockage. It's been almost three months, and I've only managed to regain ten of those pounds.
    ChiSao likes this.

Camaroguru is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
    Don't dare skip the warmups now. My 18 year old son (workout partner) doesn't quite understand that just yet! I do a four day split (M-T-Th-F) and am pretty beat come Friday night... just about like right now! Joints seem to take the majority of the pain. My muscles actually seem to recover about the same as I remember from my thirties. I do squats on Monday morning when I am theoretically freshest and it does seem to help. I soak them later that night in a fairly hot bath with some epsom salts (about 45 minutes) and though they are sore come Tuesday, by Wednesday (48hrs for me is usually when I hit my most sore point after a workout) they are actually better than Tuesday. I think the bath/salts goes a long way in this speedier recovery.

I also bike most every day, and though Tuesdays are the least fun to do cardio, I think that helps make the soreness go away faster too...
    Man, funny you say that. I do a full body warmup every single workout. No matter what body part im doing that night. My 16 yr old just started lifting with me and hates it. He just likes to jump right in.
    As far as recuperation, I have had good luck with beta alanine.

Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    How much beta alinine you taking and when do you take it? I take 6g split into two doses but both doses are in the morning - one while I do cardio and the other while I lift about 3 hours later. Maybe I should add or move one dose to the evening.

John Andrew is offline Member
    I think it takes a little longer to recuperate, I do not train with the same intensity as when I was younger. I am still getting stronger. I am 57 and started using age 50 due to injuries.

Injuries take a bit longer, but not enough to worry about. My best motivation comes from having my wife spotting me. I love her being with me and I try so much harder. I was just doing seated overhead presses with 140kg's. She was there to help me!

Enjoy life, love lifting and go to bed early!!!!!!!!!! Yes I need more sleep!

Regards,

John

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    No offense but what a stupid question?

Camaroguru is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
    How much beta alinine you taking and when do you take it? I take 6g split into two doses but both doses are in the morning - one while I do cardio and the other while I lift about 3 hours later. Maybe I should add or move one dose to the evening.
    I was only doing 4g split 2 in am in my protien and 2 at pm with dinner.

61er is offline Junior Member
    I'm sure I'll get slammed one day... Currently 52, train hard daily, never warmup (other than light set), no post-workout stretching, fast recovery and still making gains.

Arnoldtobe is offline Junior Member
    Turning 40 in January. Any of you ever get joint pain in your elbows and forearms? I stretch and warm up a lot more now but this pain has just come on.

steppenwolf is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ;6646028
    i am making crummy gains.

i can only add 65 pounds to a lift at most.

i don't gain any muscle. i am trying to figure out

why.

i am getting enough protein and sleep. it started

when i was about 30 years old. i am trying to figure

out if it is age related. my father seemed to have the

same problem at the same age. he was a body

builder. he was muscular and had a 6 pack when he

was 30 years old.

Oki-Des is offline Anabolic Member
    Welcome to getting old. : )

BuzzardMarinePumper is offline Knowledge Member on Prostate Cancer
    Blog Entries
    Wow I feel a lot better after reading this thread My Avatar was from August and I am leaner and bigger now just haven't taken a fresh pic I will soon and make it my Avatar

I never warm up maybe minor stretching or arms . 100% Disabled and was ran over by a truck in 02 been back training 14 mths aftera 23 year break on TRT and do blast and swear by supplements and peptides . I have a hip implant and before TB-500 needed a Rotator Cuff surgery and a left Knee replacement Canceled both TB-500 repaired

Now on DA Dr. TRT so self medicating and on 120 mg of Cypionate split to 3.5 day and ake 60 mg IM and 50 mg of Deca a week and HCG when I can get it but can't find any right now need it and I have an AI Generic Adex + do 180 mg of Tren weekly so estrogen is good I just take an AI if I get acne and back off if I get joint pain try to keep between 20 and 30 Dr. could give a rip less ! TB-500 on hand all the time semorlin daily run HGH Frag 176-191 EOM . Still can't get a 2 pac even that maybe age but 2014 is a new year and my new goal is a six pac for next Christmas

I was at 266 lbs and 6 ft Oct of 2012 I got all the way down to 219 lbs and now at 240 lbs and have no idea of BF% because I have to eat to grow and when I eat I get that little belly pouch I fought so hard to get rid of but I target all protein and have found that more good fat makes me have more energy and grow more not really trying to get as big as I am now ? Before TRT I was at deaths door step !

Pleased with my vascularity and I do get pain after every w/o and I love that stretched pain feeling I feel 25 and just PO that I can't get abs so I have started riding a old steel frame mountain bike converted to commuter . I was doing good in the summer got up to 30 miles in a day now it is cold for a GA Grand paw 54 and with authrituis it hurt more than in the gym and I hate the indoor bike ?

My PSA was 7 about 3 weeks ago and my Dr. fails to look at all my BW and take TRT into consideration so I have to go see a Urologist and I hope the one I see does TRT and I can get HCG . No pee issues no wood issues no bowel issues just a 7 on PSA

So 54 and happier than I could have ever hoped for the healtiest I have been in 25 years . If I could get that Holy Grail six Pac I would say I had met my goals but to go from 266 lbs really down to 219 and now at 240 lbs and wearing a 34 in Guess Jeans I am a happy camper and told I look 45 . I do contribuite some of this to Times Roman and his knowledge of Peptides and I have researched even more Semorlin is good stuff and so is ADO 9604 , TB-500 , PT-141,( cjc 1295 w/o DAC , GHRP - 2 & GHRP - 6 , Semorlin & Impromil )

This forum and 1000's of hours of research have changed my life and I get compliments from 25 year old boys who swear I am lying when I tell them my age 54 . I like the throbbing minor pain from a good proficient w/o

So at 54 those are my thoughts oh and I have a stable of women fro 26 to 57 and none would rate under 7 on a rainy day ! I am loving life large and incharge lol , if I don't have Prostate Cancer I may live for ever

Oh I start back to college in Jan lol . Because of my Sever Trauma I have ssues spelling correctly and can't type as you can see but 54 and happy ! Thankful to be alive considering I have had 3 Plemuniary Emblisims and 5 Surgerys had Type 2 Diabetes , Low -T , a witch for an ex-wife, been to jail 3 time because of her all in the pre 2012 10 years . Life is great !
    Last edited by BuzzardMarinePumper; 12-27-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Neas is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbeck View Post
    Reading between the lines of the question its not just about asking the obvious. Part of the psychology of growing older and learning to deal with slow gains, injuries and the degridation of connective tissue etc is knowing others are in the same boat. This leads to a feeling of not being in isolation and stopping the sometimes inevitable onset of induced depression... It's all good for me if these kind of questions get asked and it brings people together

old cajun is offline Junior Member
    At 58 it does take me longer. I work out every muscle once a week.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I'm 51.

gains come real slow.

losses come real fast.

I lost 35 lbs in may in a couple of weeks or so due to some weird intestinal blockage. It's been almost three months, and I've only managed to regain ten of those pounds.
    ha!

it was an appendicitis attack

Jmjk13 is offline New Member
    Warming up is key, but remember to not do static stretching (long, slow stretches like we used to do before gym class). It actually reduces muscle efficiency, and can put more strain on you, and hurt your workouts. If you like that type of stretching, do it post work out.
    Dynamic warm ups will increase blood flow and warm you up, and your joints, without over stretching the muscle.

Thread Information