bartman314 is offline Productive Member

HIT legs and pain.

i'm a recent convert to heavy lifting after being a life long volume @ 8-12 reps guy. i absolutely love the gains i've made on 'hit' - lots of personal bests in compound lifts, but i am sore ALL the time.

my current program is a 5 day split with one complete rest day in the cycle. legs is once per cycle with 12 working sets of leg press, dead lifts, hack squats (today) 6-12 reps - okok, it's not really HIT, but a lot closer than i used to be.

anyways, my legs are crushed for 48 hours after my workout - meaning i do a dip to lower myself onto a chair. my joints are hanging in there - left knee is flirting with tendonitis and right hip is a bit hot (for those that have hip surgery, you'll know what i mean). do you older guys suffer in the same way? any tips?!?

oh, i'm 50, so i'm one of the old guys too.....

fireeater49 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman314 View Post
    i'm a recent convert to heavy lifting after being a life long volume @ 8-12 reps guy. i absolutely love the gains i've made on 'hit' - lots of personal bests in compound lifts, but i am sore ALL the time.

my current program is a 5 day split with one complete rest day in the cycle. legs is once per cycle with 12 working sets of leg press, dead lifts, hack squats (today) 6-12 reps - okok, it's not really HIT, but a lot closer than i used to be.

anyways, my legs are crushed for 48 hours after my workout - meaning i do a dip to lower myself onto a chair. my joints are hanging in there - left knee is flirting with tendonitis and right hip is a bit hot (for those that have hip surgery, you'll know what i mean). do you older guys suffer in the same way? any tips?!?

oh, i'm 50, so i'm one of the old guys too.....
    Brother I know what your going through. I am 49 and been on TRT (60 mg E3D) for a year and just finished a mini blast (125 mg E3D) and my strength has been like when I was competing in my younger days.It was like driving an old hot rod car with a souped up engine. Unfortunately the springs and suspension in the old hot rod car is ... well.... still original old pars. I went into "heavy" training with the basics lifts, bench, press, squats, deadlifts, and chinups. I trained in the 5/3/1 method with dead load weeks (very reduced training) So yes my lifts are way up ............ so is my soreness, way up. I would suggest if you decide to continue this method really consider your recovery rate.Gauge your workouts around it. Myself, I have now gone to reduced weights higher volume but more time under tension reps (very slow eccentric movements "negatives" and slow concentric movements "positives"). It is getting me the gains but less pain. Now my ego is taking a hit working out with the younger firemen I train at the station but I am able to get up out of a chair without saying cuss words or bend down to tie my shoe with making painful noises not quite as loud as crying. Just be smart and careful, and keep your ego in check. I hit my bucket list of weight lifting goals. Now to move on. Next goal is to do the human flag! Good luck my brother!

Thread Information