Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ironbeck

Thread: taking time off

bartman314 is offline Productive Member

taking time off

ok... i'm really struggling with the concept of taking some time (a week-ish) off to let my joints recover. i've been going at it hard since 10/1 with a 5 day split (1 day rest/cycle) and going pretty heavy all the time (heavy compound lifts in the range of 4-8 reps). my gains have been tremendous - best since i was a youngster. i'm up ~35 lbs (muscle) and bench, dead and leg press (can't do squats due to shoulder arthritis) are at personal best levels.

and... i've been sore all the time. the worst is in the hips with the deads and leg press, but i'm staving off some tendonitis in elbows/knee as well. two weeks ago, i started tb500, which seems to be helping. also, i'm looking to add deca to my trt at a level of ~125 mg/week, but have not found a source yet (the feelers are out though...).

i'd appreciate any tips and thoughts on unloading from those who've used such... do i go cold turkey? just lift light? stretch? cardio? modify diet?!?

thanks!

DontTaseMeBro is offline Member
    I find that I really have to listen to my body about time off. Obviously a nagging injury that gets progressively worse is a good indication. More than that, I find that after several months, I hit a time period where every day feels like a chore to hit the gym. Then I know its time to regroup.

If you've been hitting it hard for 4 months, you aren't going to lose much in a week or two. I try to just lay off for 4-7 days. Sleep in, rest up, and do stuff for myself. Then, I try to do some cardio and yoga. I plan totally new routine and allow myself time to get excited about it while I'm doing the cardio for a week or so. By that time, my body has recovered and my attitude is better.

Good luck. Sounds like you've earned a few days off!

thanks, bro. today is day 3 off - off to the gym for some cardio and for PT for my recently diagnosed hip flexor tendonitis (explaining the pain i mentioned in my separate thread on HIT legs and pain).

NEFLRick is offline Associate Member
    I always build in off-weeks into my schedule. Your body needs rest. Especially when you get older, your body REALLY needs rest. Train hard for a length of time then take some time off. I usually go 2-3 months (I usually train 5 days a week) then I take a week off. I find I'm stronger and refreshed when I'm back in the gym after a week off.

Mentally you need time off just as much as you need it physically.

A week off will not harm you in the least bit and will only help you.

61er is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman314 View Post
    ok... i'm really struggling with the concept of taking some time (a week-ish) off to let my joints recover. i've been going at it hard since 10/1 with a 5 day split (1 day rest/cycle) and going pretty heavy all the time (heavy compound lifts in the range of 4-8 reps). my gains have been tremendous - best since i was a youngster. i'm up ~35 lbs (muscle) and bench, dead and leg press (can't do squats due to shoulder arthritis) are at personal best levels.

and... i've been sore all the time. the worst is in the hips with the deads and leg press, but i'm staving off some tendonitis in elbows/knee as well. two weeks ago, i started tb500, which seems to be helping. also, i'm looking to add deca to my trt at a level of ~125 mg/week, but have not found a source yet (the feelers are out though...).

i'd appreciate any tips and thoughts on unloading from those who've used such... do i go cold turkey? just lift light? stretch? cardio? modify diet?!?

thanks!
    Sounds like you should lay off on the heavy leg work! I'd say keep at everything else though. A week off isn't going to help your joints. I had tendon issues (both elbows) for 8 months, despite taking great care. As for "rest days" (and weeks), this is just bro science. I never miss a day and continue to make gains.

NEFLRick is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 61er View Post
    As for "rest days" (and weeks), this is just bro science. I never miss a day and continue to make gains.
    Sorry but the concept of rest isn't bro science. It's pure science. You need to give yourself a break every so often. Lifting is breaking things down. Rest is when we're building.

Now, the mental aspect of taking time off may be part bro science and part real science. But your body absolutely likes to rest.

JinNtonic is offline Member
    Your not going to lose any muscle taking a week off. I recently hurt my back and had to take 2 months off. It took me 2 weeks to get right back where I left off

John Andrew is offline Member
    Mate,

I am now 59 this year and I hate having to admit! I cannot train as I used too. I need more time off. I take longer to heal.

The good news is I can still improve. The deca should help a bit with the joint pain!

Rest and be your best,

John

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Listen to your body! Time off is crucial for many reasons, and you will lose nothing in a weeks time. Actually I would suggest taking 2-4 weeks off, it really takes the body longer than a week to make repairs joint and tendon wise, and you will lose next to nothing in a month, except your mental edge lol. Sometimes I take a few weeks off when I'm out of town working and I come back stronger and refreshed, also it helps with when you get complacent in your routine and mentally tired of going to that happy place in the gym.
    NEFLRick likes this.

thank you for all the inputs.

i ended my week off and am back in the gym. overall, i am refreshed and motivation is higher than just before the week off. also, my strength is about where i left off - maybe a rep or two lower or higher than prior pending the exercise. my hips are feeling a lot better, as much from the PT as the rest i suspect. nevertheless i am under orders from PT to go light and shallow (~45 degrees above parallel) for a month to let my hips calm down).

also, my elbow tendonitis is not healed (wasn't expecting it to get all better in only a week), but i will nurse it as those that have had such understand.

Thread Information