Surrender is offline Banned

I just don't get it

I've been thinking about changing my training to powerlifting. But just about every powerlifting program has Pushdowns for tricep exercises. I have hardly seen one which utilizes Skullcrushers or weighted dips.

What is it that I missing here. I thought pushdowns were basically useless for size and strength.

~S

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    i use skull crushers and most routines i know have use neither , these days it is more board presses, rack lock outs and close grip

Surrender is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    i use skull crushers and most routines i know have use neither , these days it is more board presses, rack lock outs and close grip
    Glad to see someone uses something different for tri's besides pushdowns.

Phildude is offline Junior Member
    I thought the big tricep exercise was close-grip, I have never seen a pl routine with any other tricep exercise. I personally throw in skullcrushers though.

Glad to see you change it up, more power to you brother!

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Cgrip is the big one, but also i love lockouts and i use ight tri extension movements at the end for hypertrophy. Cgrip and lockout dont isolate the tri enough, i havent een any Plifting programin yars utilize push downs, nor do i know anyone who uses this exercise for powerlifting

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member
    I actually find that i get more out of heavy tri presses as opposed to extensions, extensions just aggravate tendonitis, most likely because I dont like to do a bunch of bicep work.

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    I really like tri press downs but it is difficult find cable machines that go upto 300lbs. lol I predominantly do skull krushers, board presses and close grip bench presses. Weighted dips aren't a favorite for powerlifting because it focuses a bit too much on the pecs. After killing the chest with 6 sets of 455 for 3 followed by a few singles, I don't think I'd have any gas left to do weighted dips. The idea for PLers is to focus on tris and close grips benches use little chest. Besides, hoisting over 500lbs using 3-4 boards really develops the ego, don't you think? lol
    I was stuck my so. yr of HS at 295 on the bench. As soon as I learned about board presses I haven't had a plateau since.

Nytol is offline Member
    Weighted dips and OH EZ ext or 'skull crushers' are always a part of my tricep training, I actually find pushdowns agravate my elbows.

Sepsis is offline Member
    what is a 'board press'?

Phildude is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up

What it sounds like, have a bud hold 1-4 2x4's on your chest, go down to those boards press the weight up. Helps get past your sticking point.

I'm sure the other guys here can explain much better.

My question is... I've never seen anyone do them, so any advice on where to do them? Or am I just a wimp and need to do it and not care about being embarassed?

Thread Information