Thin Ice is offline Junior Member

Question Is huge protein consumption just for bodybuilding?

Is huge protein consumption just helpful for building mass, or is it necessary for developing powerlifting strength, too? I want to know so I can design the optimum diet.

Also, I'm a long and lean 6 ft. tall, about 155 pounds (depending on water weight). If I did start bulking up, how would that affect my *POUND FOR POUND* strength? (Pound for pound strength is my goal.) Skinny people like me would love to hear from those who started skinny and bulked up.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Depends what you mean by huge protein consumption. Too much protein and you will destroy your kidneys.

Some build plenty of muscle on 1 gram per pound of body weight.

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    Depends what you mean by huge protein consumption. Too much protein and you will destroy your kidneys.

Some build plenty of muscle on 1 gram per pound of body weight.
    can drinking a gallon or more of water counter act the negative effects of high protein in take and protect the kidneys?

Kristofer68ss is offline Associate Member
    i am in on this one....

protein, bad? since when.............. I am taking in alot more then my 185.

I never said you should take in no more than 1 gram per pound of body weight. I myself weigh 270 and I might get 300 grams of protein per day and surely not everyday and I'm still strong as a bull and carrying around alot of muscle mass. I stuck to the same diet while on my previous cycle and added 19 lbs of muscle without increasing fat. I get every bit of protein from my foods and don't mess with shakes anymore. real food produces better results.

Yes, the more water you drink the better flushed your kidneys will be.

Just to give an example back in 99 I was about 230 lbs taking in close to 600 grams of protein, if you can trust how much is in those shakes, and the results were no better.

bigpianoman is offline New Member
    well i piss Amber boch. lol. I drink 1+ gallons of water, but still get very foamy urine. im 309 and cosume 450-500 g's of prtotein a day.

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpianoman
    well i piss Amber boch. lol. I drink 1+ gallons of water, but still get very foamy urine. im 309 and cosume 450-500 g's of prtotein a day.
    then you have very expensive urine.
    And 1 gallon of water for a 300lb man is less than 50% of what you should be drinking

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    powerlifters need protein

too much protein will do nothing, not enough is the problem, 1 gram per pound APROXIMATELY, give or take 50 grams.

When people eat too much protein, they take in more nitrogen than they need. This places a strain on the kidneys, which must expel the extra nitrogen through urine. Through this too much protein over time can lead to kidney disease.

Kristofer68ss is offline Associate Member
    i will have to add this. After my last checkup and bloodwork, my doctor said I had high protein count in my urine and that i should drink more water. I explained to her about my diet and she said thay may explain the high readings.

So i just add extra h20...

I like to get 1.5g's per pound of bodyweight.

Thin Ice is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    powerlifters need protein
    too much protein will do nothing, not enough is the problem, 1 gram per pound APROXIMATELY, give or take 50 grams.
    Thanks for answering my question.

Thanks to everybody else, too, for the other information.

Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    When people eat too much protein, they take in more nitrogen than they need. This places a strain on the kidneys, which must expel the extra nitrogen through urine. Through this too much protein over time can lead to kidney disease.
    I can't be 100% sure since I'm not a doctor, but I think Doc.Sust just means that a mild excess of protein won't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Ice
    Thanks for answering my question.

Thanks to everybody else, too, for the other information.

I can't be 100% sure since I'm not a doctor, but I think Doc.Sust just means that a mild excess of protein won't do anything.
    that is exactly what i was saying.

benches 505 is right, way too much protein over an extended period of time will F up your kidneys

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    in regards to protein consumption there are diminishing marginal returns, in other words more is not necessarily better. this is individualistic so take some time to find what works well for you. i like to use around 1~2 grams per pound of lean muscle mass (1 for off season training and 2 for meet training)... good luck and lift big!!!

Thread Information