pwrlftr2 is offline Junior Member

Question on equipment for those of us who workout alone

I think a lot of powerlifters are like me. When we workout we work alone at home or in the gym really does not matter because last time I looked most gyms are not set up for powerlifters, nor are we wanted and if by some reason we workout there we are usually few in number. As one ages it becomes harder and harder to find a training partner. This brings me to my question. I incorporate what works for me from everywhere and anywhere by experimenting mostly. My workout is a hodgepodge of different theories, Russian and german volume routines, Westside, plain old periodization, etc. I believe strongly that you must train the way you lift, therefore if I lift RAW then I train RAW, if I lift equipped then well you get it. Anyway it is very hard to train in equipment that requires at least one other person to help you get into it and often to hold boards, etc. I have devised some things to compensate for that such as boards with velcro on them so I can keep them in place by myself. How do you guys who train alone use your suits? Do you get looser, larger suits to train in that you can get into alone? I have accomplished some amazing things in powerlifting but I often wonder how much better I could have been if I had a training partner or two who was as dedicated as I have been. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrlftr2
    I think a lot of powerlifters are like me. When we workout we work alone at home or in the gym really does not matter because last time I looked most gyms are not set up for powerlifters, nor are we wanted and if by some reason we workout there we are usually few in number. As one ages it becomes harder and harder to find a training partner. This brings me to my question. I incorporate what works for me from everywhere and anywhere by experimenting mostly. My workout is a hodgepodge of different theories, Russian and german volume routines, Westside, plain old periodization, etc. I believe strongly that you must train the way you lift, therefore if I lift RAW then I train RAW, if I lift equipped then well you get it. Anyway it is very hard to train in equipment that requires at least one other person to help you get into it and often to hold boards, etc. I have devised some things to compensate for that such as boards with velcro on them so I can keep them in place by myself. How do you guys who train alone use your suits? Do you get looser, larger suits to train in that you can get into alone? I have accomplished some amazing things in powerlifting but I often wonder how much better I could have been if I had a training partner or two who was as dedicated as I have been. Your thoughts are appreciated.
    nothing replace good partners, i used to train alot on my own when i lifted raw. if you lift raw, than this makes sense and it can be done, when i switched to equiped, i learned fast you need partners for big gains, the looser shirt kind of works but not really, what happens is it makes it easy to hit dept or touch in the shirt, than when you go to a contest using equipment that fits right, you are a mess trying to hit depth or the shirt. seek out some like minded guys and develop a ppwerlifting club

i agree used to lift alone all the time now at least for bench i train with a group of lifters

it is really hard to be a good equpied lifters without real good partners

scottish is offline Associate Member
    I feel your pain. Most of the guys in my gym are just yuppies. I go to that gym out of convenience for a playland for my kids. Its very convenient for that reason.

^^^^ if you really want it, you have to seek out powerlifting gyms or like minded powerlifters, i stoped lifting in gyms a few years back

i train my press in NJ,i train my auxillary work in my home gym, (which i made to be a powerlifting paradise )and i train my squat in maryland. if i didnt make the sacrifice to seek out these other powerlifters, contact them, travel to their gyms or home gyms, i couldnt do what i do.to take it to the next level takes more dedication,it isnt for everyone, it really is a matter of how bad you want it, and that is different for everybody,

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    that's too bad you can't find any quality partners... all of my success has come from the help of great partners/friends. if i train alone which is happening currently due to injury... gear is out of the question!

Thread Information