boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member

Looking for new raw bench routine

I'm 23, 5'9", 190-195lbs. After a few weeks of 4x3 my best is 310x3. I'm guessing I can bench 325-335, I will max next week. I'm looking for a new routine for the next couple of weeks to change things up. I want to bench 350 by July 1st, 365 shortly after. I haven't come up with my end of year goal yet. My current routine is pretty similar to the one listed below except I wasn't using bands on ME day, and on DE day I did flat bench 4x10 followed by JM/Lat raises. This is what I'm considering:

ME Day:
    Flat Bench w/ Double Minis 4x3 (Will this be too much?)
    Close-Grip w/ Double Minis 4x5
    Flat Bench Paused 3x2
    Military Press 4x5 (Still making gains on this so I'll continue)

DE Day:
    Decline Bench 2x8
    Incline Bench 2x10 (I never do incline, but my upper chest is lagging badly)
    JM Press 4x10
    Lateral DB Raises 4x10

I know most places recommend using bands on the light day in an 8x3 fashion, but I feel I've never really benefited from them in this manner. I'm using them on my heavy day mostly to increase speed but also to enhance lockout. I'm following the band work with pause presses (which won't be maxes) to stay strong off the chest. Also, I have a pretty good arch so I figured incorporating declines, although light, could only help me.
    Last edited by boondockSAINT; 04-29-2008 at 02:08 PM.

boilermaker is offline New Member

declines

Hey bro, I LOVE declines. you should def. put them in your workout and maybe concentrate on them. They really helped me to keep my elbows tucked in and you can really make your tris a lot stronger because you can use heavier weight. In fact i did them this evening. got 365 for 10 and 405 for 7.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    my routine is one alot of people probably would hate, but mixed with some other standard lift routines every few months i love it

its high weight volume style work out

bench day
    flat bench- wk1 80% 7 sets of 3 ...wk2 85% 5 sets of 2 ...wk3 90% 4 sets of 1-2 ...wk4 deload all reps are pause presses

decline bench- 50% 3 sets of 10 speed reps

incline bench - 50% 3 sets of 8 pause presses going high on the chest

tricep day
    heavy cable push downs 3 sets of 6-10

3-4 board presses 3 sets reps depend on weight

weighted dips 3 sets of 8-10 with 130-150pounds

flat bench 2 sets of 25 with 135lbs (28% as of right now)

its not meet prep style work out but i love it as a base work out. some weight is rounded up or down a point or two. i do this work out for two months then throw in a standard workout. then come back to this with new numbers

some say its to much, some say its not enough and i agree over time ill need to tweak it. but without steroids and weighing a natural weight of 218lb im pushing 475lbs.

boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quarry206 View Post
    my routine is one alot of people probably would hate, but mixed with some other standard lift routines every few months i love it

its high weight volume style work out

bench day
    flat bench- wk1 80% 7 sets of 3 ...wk2 85% 5 sets of 2 ...wk3 90% 4 sets of 1-2 ...wk4 deload all reps are pause presses

decline bench- 50% 3 sets of 10 speed reps

incline bench - 50% 3 sets of 8 pause presses going high on the chest

tricep day
    heavy cable push downs 3 sets of 6-10

3-4 board presses 3 sets reps depend on weight

weighted dips 3 sets of 8-10 with 130-150pounds

flat bench 2 sets of 25 with 135lbs (28% as of right now)

its not meet prep style work out but i love it as a base work out. some weight is rounded up or down a point or two. i do this work out for two months then throw in a standard workout. then come back to this with new numbers

some say its to much, some say its not enough and i agree over time ill need to tweak it. but without steroids and weighing a natural weight of 218lb im pushing 475lbs.
    Impressive stats. How old are you? Also, could you expand on some points:

week 4 - deload, what's that mean?
    decline speed reps - are you just banging out 10 reps as fast as possible? I know most people like to work with fewer reps (possibly similar weight though) for their speedwork. I think my elbows would be killing me if I thrashed 50% for 10 speed reps. Maybe not though. Let me know if I understand that correctly.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    first off i just turned 26. and 5'8''...

deloading is alittle different for everybody but basically a very lite work out just enough to get a strech and some blood in there.

the declines are mainly donw just at a very fast pace without bouncing. i honestly dont know if it helps. its just something i like to throw in to get my body working together from a different angle.

i use to live off of pyramid style works doing ten six three one for reps but id never get anywhere. so i switched about two years ago to volume trying for two months then a random routine, usually one i get off the posting of doc sust. i like to switch every two months but keep a pattern of over all training.

and it is hit or miss because i have picked the wrong routine before, i was planning on making my first fed meet back in novemeber and ended up over training so bad i had to take a month off.. so its all about learning

2475 is offline Junior Member
    Use a Shirt to your advantage but dont depend on it What I mean is Use it to build your raw Strength Bands And Chains are good yes but timing is everything You are not even Benching 2X your weight . Your Solution is to stack on mass and raw strength. Your Routine should be geared for that.
    Day1
    12,10,8,6,(Add Shirt For Couple Sets of 5,5,3,3 )
    Then Assistance Work for mass and Strength
    Example DB Presses/Decline incline Presses/Weighted Dips (Chest)
    Overhead Presses/DB Presses/Up Row/Laterals (Shoulder)
    Lying Dumbell Extensions/Close-Grip Bench/Pressdowns/ (Triceps)
    Chest Supported Rows/Front Pull Downs/Face Pulls (Traps)
    Day5(4Days Later)
    Work Up To Near Max Doing Close Grip/Decline or Incline/DB Presses
    Do Light Assistance Work to knock to rust off not hard like day one

Refer To My Posted Bench Articles
    Last edited by 2475; 07-03-2008 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Improvement

Thread Information