GearIdentity is offline Associate Member

getting started?

Ho does one get started in competitive powerlifiting? Finding contests, clubs, training, etc.? Im 26lbs, in south florida.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    www.powerliftingwatch.com

www.fortified-iron.com

get a subscription to powerlifting usa magazine

find a gym that has knowledgeable powerlifters that compete and start training with them even if you have to commute to a gym outside your town at least one or 2 days a wk

on the powerlifitng watch web site, they have a section that tells you where there are powerlifitng friendly gyms in every state and some countries

3v1lj03 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GearIdentity View Post
    Ho does one get started in competitive powerlifiting? Finding contests, clubs, training, etc.? Im 26lbs, in south florida.
    26lbs is pretty lean. funny typo

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    Southside Barbell is in Lake Worth, FL. I'm not sure if you are in the area. They are an invitation only club. You may want to shoot them an email to see if you can check them out. Great lifters, cool group of guys, and as hardcore as they come.

Thanx for the resources DocSust,

RJstrong, Lake Worth might be a bit too far. Im in Miami, FL., thanx anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong View Post
    Southside Barbell is in Lake Worth, FL. I'm not sure if you are in the area. They are an invitation only club. You may want to shoot them an email to see if you can check them out. Great lifters, cool group of guys, and as hardcore as they come.
    They might actually may not be as far as I thought. I tried shooting an email to them but it came back undelivered. Do you know where I can email them at?

Thanx

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    I hope this helps... [email protected]

good work rj.

hope that works out for you GI. that would help a ton

[email protected] didnt work, it came back undelivered. I did manage to get in contact with someone at southside, they have a page in myspace. They let you give it a try for a month and if it works out then you continue training with them.

Im coming of a cycle within the next couple of weeks, doing a 6 week PCT. Should I wait until I get back "on" before attempting to train in a powerlifting type training?

You guys have been very helpful, thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by GearIdentity View Post
    [email protected] didnt work, it came back undelivered. I did manage to get in contact with someone at southside, they have a page in myspace. They let you give it a try for a month and if it works out then you continue training with them.

Im coming of a cycle within the next couple of weeks, doing a 6 week PCT. Should I wait until I get back "on" before attempting to train in a powerlifting type training?

You guys have been very helpful, thank you again.
    no get in there. at all the gyms i train with and groups of powerlifters i lift with, no one cares how strong you are. they will be looking for 3 things. 1 if you will commit, show up and be consistent. 2 that you listen to advice given and improve. nobody needs a lifter that wont change their ways and hinder their own progress. 3 give 100% every workout and dont half ass it. you do all these things, they will accept you with flying colors. thats all it takes

Thread Information