spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~

I was ashamed (more surprised) at the powerlifting bros today..

I was with the wife, kid, my daughter, her husband and my grandchild at a small town fair today.. after the parade.

We were eating porkchop on a stick and a bottle of water, when i heard from the band stand they were power lifting..

so I go over with the family..

weight they were lifting??? 320 - 410.. bench was all they were lifting i was very embarrassed.. my daughter turns to me and says.. dad, you can lift a lot more than that, go on up and do it.. these kids were 310 -370 lb kids 19-26 yrs old, and my daughter has seen me lift a lot more than that, i said, "Honey, i don't have anything to prove to these guys, as long as you know i can do it.." plus it was 90 degree and i wasn't registered..

but I tell ya, it was embarrassing the low weight they were lifting.. the guy that did the 410s, he was using a belt, wraps, and a shirt...

yes.. it's an embarrassing day
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

2475 is offline Junior Member
    Many People Want to be a Powerlifter but dont understand that it what it seams The blood, effort, dedication, the science the gear a fat a!! benching Four and we can do it as a 65er That is why the platform is reseversed for true Lifter Please If you are a True Lifter Second this Message

SmittyTheOX is offline Member
    I dont really see the problem, sure they wernt pushing a hell of a lot of weight, but they were out there and doing it.

All powerlifters know the ammount of work, effort and time it takes to bench big numbers. Are you therefore implying that people shouldnt compete until they can press 400? 500? Hell the first comp I went in I only benched 310.

Quote Originally Posted by SmittyTheOX View Post
    I dont really see the problem, sure they wernt pushing a hell of a lot of weight, but they were out there and doing it.

All powerlifters know the ammount of work, effort and time it takes to bench big numbers. Are you therefore implying that people shouldnt compete until they can press 400? 500? Hell the first comp I went in I only benched 310.

what was embarrassing about it was at 214 5'9" (my heaviest) and 44 yrs old i benched 525 x6...

These guys although "out there and competing " were simply continuing a stereo type and were abusing their bodies to the point that anyone and i mean anyone could tell that they were juicing..

that was what is embarrassing.. or maybe i'm out of line, and anyone that competes is a winner?? that i guess is what happens when we stop keeping score at little league games..

oh, and my lifts are well documented on this site..

Rules

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    I say who cares. It sounds like you're trying to toot your own horn more than blow negative notes at these guys...

And maybe some of them were wearing shirts.. but let me ask you this.. How old were you when you could take 400lbs raw for a ride?

This is a lot of why I quit powerlifting altogether. Too many smug dudes walking around bragging how they can bench 600lbs at a 225lb body weight. Take away their gear and most of them can't even bench 385lbs raw...

Anyway, I don't mean to go off on you but this post of yours comes off very self absorbed especially with your whole "my daughter looked at me and said but daddy you can bench a lot more than that"... llike that's supposed to validate how strong you are compared to these kids with probably no formal training at all... So if you're so much better why didn't you step up there raw and show them how it's done... But of course it was too hot, you weren't registered.. and you probably didn't have your equipment with you either... so how would it have looked to your family had you stepped up there without your gear and got beaten by some kid with or without a bench shirt?

The funny thing about guys who brag about their "equiped" numbers you can't ever nail em down and get em to lift without their shirts and suits.. I think it's because down deep they know they wouldn't really measure up without the assistance the shirts and suits gives them.

Again, nothing personal but your hollier than though attitude is why I walked away from PL and went to strongman. Where it's about raw strength, power and endurance.. not about who has a more expensive shirt or squat suit..

In the APF the difference between an 800lb squater and a 900lb sqauater seems to be less the 100lbs and more the $100 spent for the better quality suit.

Besides, this doesn't even sound like it was a sanctioned meet or even anything close. Just some local yokels trying to put on a small powerlifting show at a fair. Why begrudge a bunch of untrained guys trying to just mess around at a small fair bench tourny? And why even compare a small local yokel bench comp to real powerlifting.

You need to look at yourself hard if you have to tear others down to build yourself up. especially some inexperienced kids doing a non sanctioned meet at a small town fair.
    Last edited by phreezer; 07-28-2008 at 08:45 AM.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    i'm back and forth about this.. because first they are trying so i mean u have to give them something at least they stepped up. most only have internet numbers. but ya i do agree if u are weighing 300+ then doing 400 is nothing.. i never entered even a local meet until i was doing 2times my body weigh raw.. but if somebody can't do that it does not mean they aren't strong. everybody starts somewhere... nobdy touched a wiegh and benched/squated/dead 500 their first try..

and equipment, well i know alot of people on here are all about it.. but for real how can a guy not bench 600 raw but then throw up 1000 with a shirt, its not working out it is buying a workout..

at my gym once when weighing 200lb i repped 405 seven reps on bench, i felt amazing and guys looked at me as if i was a mini-god.. but if somebody else would have been there they would have looked at it as warm up weight (alot of guys on this forum).. so u can never judge .. only compare..

there is a major problem with how people look at powerlifting as a sport, and we need to come together and fix it.. not brag one second and then point the finger the next... we should support the world record holder, and the 16year old in the gym getting his start..
    Last edited by quarry206; 07-29-2008 at 09:09 AM.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    damn 525x6 at 214lb body weight u should have done a meet because that converts to about a 600lb press which would probably be a world record

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    I don't have a lot of respect for people that simply talk... get on the platform and show us what you got. Gym lifts are simply gym lifts... hitting big numbers on the platform is a total different story. Even if you only bench 135 on the platform you have my respect. Now stop talking and prove you can hit those big numbers when the pressure is on, in a contest setting. And on a side note bench only is not powerlifting in my book.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phreezer View Post
    I say who cares. It sounds like you're trying to toot your own horn more than blow negative notes at these guys...

And maybe some of them were wearing shirts.. but let me ask you this.. How old were you when you could take 400lbs raw for a ride?

This is a lot of why I quit powerlifting altogether. Too many smug dudes walking around bragging how they can bench 600lbs at a 225lb body weight. Take away their gear and most of them can't even bench 385lbs raw...

Anyway, I don't mean to go off on you but this post of yours comes off very self absorbed especially with your whole "my daughter looked at me and said but daddy you can bench a lot more than that"... llike that's supposed to validate how strong you are compared to these kids with probably no formal training at all... So if you're so much better why didn't you step up there raw and show them how it's done... But of course it was too hot, you weren't registered.. and you probably didn't have your equipment with you either... so how would it have looked to your family had you stepped up there without your gear and got beaten by some kid with or without a bench shirt?

The funny thing about guys who brag about their "equiped" numbers you can't ever nail em down and get em to lift without their shirts and suits.. I think it's because down deep they know they wouldn't really measure up without the assistance the shirts and suits gives them.

Again, nothing personal but your hollier than though attitude is why I walked away from PL and went to strongman. Where it's about raw strength, power and endurance.. not about who has a more expensive shirt or squat suit..

In the APF the difference between an 800lb squater and a 900lb sqauater seems to be less the 100lbs and more the $100 spent for the better quality suit.

Besides, this doesn't even sound like it was a sanctioned meet or even anything close. Just some local yokels trying to put on a small powerlifting show at a fair. Why begrudge a bunch of untrained guys trying to just mess around at a small fair bench tourny? And why even compare a small local yokel bench comp to real powerlifting.

You need to look at yourself hard if you have to tear others down to build yourself up. especially some inexperienced kids doing a non sanctioned meet at a small town fair.
    I tend to agree with this.

Fat Guy is offline Senior Member
    Retracted statement…
    Last edited by Fat Guy; 07-29-2008 at 08:44 PM.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    guys lets show some respect to spywizard. he has been a quality contributor to the web site for years and a good all around guy. if you dont agree with him, that is fine, but lets not get personal

now myself i dont agree. i give 100% respect to anyone who steps on the platform. you have to start somewhere. maybe one of those kids turns out to be the next ryan kennelly if he keeps lifiing. what ever level you become or dont become, in my world it doesnt matter if you are the best. you lift for yourself. as long as you improve and beat your personal best, that is all you need to keep going. i myself know i am not going to beat shawn frankl's numbers ever. i will never be the best 198 of all time, but maybe i can be in the top 20. i set realistic goals for myself and compete for those numbers. maybe u cant be number one, but maybe u could be in the top 20 all time or 50, win the local meet or whatever the case maybe.

GPP will Take You to 1.5 easy on the bench I secd. quarry Statement this is what is lacking in the guys 410@ 300/350 They need to get there GPP UP and basic Strength and weight down

Fat Guy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust View Post
    guys lets show some respect to spywizard. he has been a quality contributor to the web site for years and a good all around guy. if you dont agree with him, that is fine, but lets not get personal

now myself i dont agree. i give 100% respect to anyone who steps on the platform. you have to start somewhere. maybe one of those kids turns out to be the next ryan kennelly if he keeps lifiing. what ever level you become or dont become, in my world it doesnt matter if you are the best. you lift for yourself. as long as you improve and beat your personal best, that is all you need to keep going. i myself know i am not going to beat shawn frankl's numbers ever. i will never be the best 198 of all time, but maybe i can be in the top 20. i set realistic goals for myself and compete for those numbers. maybe u cant be number one, but maybe u could be in the top 20 all time or 50, win the local meet or whatever the case maybe.
    Agreed...
    Doc you’re always the voice of reason and you’re right…. Spywizard is an honored member and I am retracting my statement and Spywizard I meant no disrespect to you… I guess I was feeling a little agro when I read this.

Later

ahhh.. i see, The statement was to provoke a response, i try not to power lift and train as i do not aspire to such lofty reaches and highs of excellence.

What i was attempting to say with it seems little success, was given my lifting experience, i was shocked at the low weights that were being used in a public display.

It was not a power lifting contest as they were only demonstrating bench press from some big guys.

Hope that makes it a little more clear..

Rules

Quote Originally Posted by phreezer View Post

I don't tear down others, i am one of the most positive and supportive people in the world, however I appreciate you calling me out on it in this case.

Did you know that ie and firefox have spell check plug ins that are free to install so misspelled words are not such a problem??

Just a heads up..

Rules

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    I don't tear down others, i am one of the most positive and supportive people in the world, however I appreciate you calling me out on it in this case.

Did you know that ie and firefox have spell check plug ins that are free to install so misspelled words are not such a problem??

Just a heads up..
    We’re not in a spelling bee.. If your defense to an argument is pointing out misspelled words than you've clearly lost that argument... unless of course, the argument is about misspelled words in which case you've clearly won... Now what was it we were arguing about again? Was it how to spell "bull shit" when used in the context of a 526lb x6 bench press at a body weight of 214lbs in the masters class?

Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Either way I find it a sad state of affairs to attack powerlifting as a whole by attacking a bunch of kids putting on a show at a fair. Last I checked we've got guys who can bench over 1000, squat over 1000 and pull over 1000. I don't think there is anything sorry with the overall state of equipped powerlifting or anything to be ashamed of the powerlifting bros over other than possibly the equipment itself.

I have better things to do with my time than argue this kind of rank bullish behavior. At your age you should encourage young lifters not belittle them. We are who we are though and no amount of my arguing can change someone else's charecter so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You sir, have a nice day, and may the good lord keep you injury free and keep you lifting at that Master's world record level holding ability of a 526lb x6 bench at 214lbs...

Take care,

P
    Last edited by phreezer; 07-30-2008 at 03:33 PM.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    Want to talk about being ashamed of power lifting?? Anybody that reads this thread and sees us bitching like school girls.. lets take our tampons out and start just being supportive

who cares who pushes/pulls what.. .. instead of us bragging about what we have done ourselves.. list the people u have helped do what they have done..

you know the best thing about my first ever meet? that the guys i was lifting against cheered me louder then the friends that came to watch..

and i do agree with some of the stuff its still not worth us fighting about over the internet

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    ^^^ 100% right. as a powerlifter, i find all we really do is bitch slap each other and argue about nonsense. raw vs single ply, single vs multi, ipf vs apf,squat depth,unification, the list goes on and on. when i was younger i use to get hot around the collar about such bull, now that i am older and wiser i can give a flying fcuk. it truly isnt worth. everyone should lift for themself, not for approval, not for records, not for publicity. just lift for what works for you

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    ^^^ 100% right. as a powerlifter, i find all we really do is bitch slap each other and argue about nonsense. raw vs single ply, single vs multi, ipf vs apf,squat depth,unification, the list goes on and on. when i was younger i use to get hot around the collar about such bull, now that i am older and wiser i can give a flying fcuk. it truly isnt worth. everyone should lift for themself, not for approval, not for records, not for publicity. just lift for what works for you
    (looks at your avatar with knee wraps) ....cheater

Braveheart04 is offline Associate Member
    I agree with Doc. Who gives a rat's ass, everyone is entitled to thier own opinion. Shut up and lift whether its 100 lbs or 1000 lbs.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    I agree with you guys up to a certain point... however Spywizard set himself up for failure with the tone of his posts. You will never see me go to a bodybuilding show or forum and talk about how I could have beat the skinny guys on stage... but I wasn't registered, or I forgot my baby oil, or I have nothing to prove. We all lift weights here so we all have something to prove otherwise we wouldn't be doing it. Be supportive, don't talk sh^t, and find some way to give back and I promise powerlifters will respond in a more positive fashion! It's threads like this one that make me realize why I stay away from this site at times.

Agree

wilson9d is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Doc.Sust;4105815]guys lets show some respect to spywizard. he has been a quality contributor to the web site for years and a good all around guy. if you dont agree with him, that is fine, but lets not get personal

agreed^^^^

i think it may be the forum, a small town fair with a low budget. Those guys probably did it for free to show off, and the fair took advantage of the free air time.

410 may not be allot to us but this is an international forum so there is allot more talent here than in a small town fair. 410 look’s like allot to people who don’t work out like us. So its a good show for a small town.

Now the fact that these guys where 300lbs and on stage that’s a different issue, they just don’t understand how they looked up there doesn’t give us a bad name. We maybe wise to aas but most of the public is not that’s why they are so shocked when they hear one of their favorite sport figures has used ass. to us we look at rookie pics of ball players and look at them now and go well no shit but john q public doesn’t know.

one8nine is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post

Just a heads up..
    ahahaahahaaaahahh

rhino1 is offline Anabolic Member
    these guy weighed 300lbs??? and benched 400??? am i reading this correctly??? Sure 400lbs is a decent weight...but not if its barely over your body weight....

mkrulic is offline Anabolic Member
    hard to say if its a good weight or not. we are not all cut from the same sheet. there are many bio-mechanical advantages which must be considered. they probably have some growing to do but if nothing else an event like this should motovate to continue the pursuit.

sorel_C is offline Member
    who cares,, these guys tried and did what they could......... if they put in the effort and work by all means they got my respect,,,, not everyone who aspire's to be good at something has top notch knowledge or genetics( in this case)

OH REALLY is offline Banned
    Come on guys Leave these kids alone we all know we have to start some where ( i remember when i couldnt lift the bar and had to start training with dumbells ) Does that mean i could not brag to my friends about what i was lifting no it dosnt i braged any way but only my mother was proud of me and thats probly the same for them

Thread Information