Thread: new to the gym

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    EricShane86 is offline New Member

new to the gym

I have just begun working out. I like to think I have some natural strength...some being the key word. I'm 5' 10" 300even (as of yesterday). Im 23 years old. I have started dieting. I have been in the air about which way i wanted to go with my training. Lean and cut? Bodybuilder? Power lifter? I've decided power lifting seems to be where my heart is. Here's my question. How should I begin this journey? Do I lift weights with my buddy who is trying to bulk a little but mainly wanting to cut (most lifts 3 sets of 12) and then get into the power lifts? Or should I go a little heavier in weight now and do lower reps? Thanks for the input, and sorry for the new guy questions, yall are my main means of education.

Shane...

shawno is offline New Member
    I recommend as a newb you start training like a bodybuilder 1st - sort of what your buddy is doing I suppose. Hit all the body parts generally speaking twice a week. This will help develop neuromuscular pathways as well as increase blood flow into muscles, tendons, etc. Stick to the basics, squats, deadlifts, overhead & bench presses etc, so you can build strength (barbells & dumbells). High reps are fine occassionally, but only if you keep your form solid. At your height & weight, you should also be doing things like prowler pushes & sled drags. If you're not sure what these are, do a youtube search. If you don't have access to these implements, there's plenty of "ghetto" options that suffice.
    You might want to get your hands on Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" book. The "Paleo Diet" book might give you some ideas on what direction you should take your diet.

Get training, and just let your goals develop.
    Good luck.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    ^^^x2. I would start out with doing "generic" workouts for the average joe in the gym. Get your body used to moving, your muscles used to strenuous activity, muscle memory going, etc. After you feel all-around comfortable in the gym and know what you are capable of, then you can start specializing your training towards what you want, in this case, powerlifting.

Stick working out with your buddy for a bit, until you feel you have enough experience and feel comfortable enough to break off and do your own thing.

Be careful with deadlifts, form is very important. Don't feel rushed to start going heavy just because it's called "powerlifting". Starting small is a good thing, get good forms on all your movements and then you start increasing weight.

EricShane86 is offline New Member
    Thanks for all the advice.

Shane...

LeroyB is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Wanted to echo: "Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" book"
    This thing pretty much changed my life, at least the lifting portions.
    You can google "Starting Strength" as well there are some good blogs.

Thread Information