Thread: Hello All

CDiesel313 is offline New Member

Hello All

I have been browsing the site for awhile, and found a lot of the information on here useful. So, I figured I'd register and introduce myself. I am 24yrs. old and currently an artilleryman in the U.S. Army in Iraq (although we're about to go home). I aimlessly lifted weights for about 6 years until last October when a couple of people over here showed me about powerlifting. I've been hooked ever since, and kind of wanted to kick myself in the ass for getting a late start. I currently train raw and drug free following a conjugate/westside style template. I am not opposed to equipped lifting or using gear, as I am sure I will venture into both worlds once I reach some goals I've set for myself. I am doing my first meet in Kalamazoo, MI in the AAPF on October 23rd when I am home on block leave. I will be competing raw in the 242's. So far, my best gym lifts include: 510lb squat, a 395lb paused bench press, and a 590lb deadlift. My goal is to total over 1500. I know I have the strength, but there are a lot of different factors I won't be used to obviously since it's my first meet. So I am definitely going in open minded. Anyways, I do have one question that I can think of right now. I've heard a lot of different opinions about openers. I plan on opening up with a comfortable weight, but the question I have is: How close out from the meet would it be wise to test for my openers? If I take the week of the meet off, do I go for my openers the week before? Or de-load that week, and take my openers 3 weeks away? Thanks for the help in advance. Take care.

digismash is offline Associate Member
    welcome!

Thread Information