animalBLIND is offline Junior Member

Powerlifting training

Looking into competing in the winter. What would b some good training programs? I've done Wendler and 5x5 and got good results looking for something more advanced. Any help appreciated

yosimitesam is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by animalBLIND View Post
    Looking into competing in the winter. What would b some good training programs? I've done Wendler and 5x5 and got good results looking for something more advanced. Any help appreciated
    Lots of good stuff out there these days. Louis Simmons' conjugate system is tried and true, and Brandon Lilly swears by his cube method. If you've done Wendler's program, then you're already doing a good routine. However, changing it up could be good for you.

There are some good programs from some senior members here that have graciously posted their workouts for people to learn and take advantage of, and a search on Youtube (if you haven't already done so) should also give you some nice ideas.

Good luck with your competition.

Thanks for the reply and yes I am always researching as I am a personal trainer here in ky. I am always looking for new ways to torture my clients hahahah anything to improve someone's goals

drake4243 is offline Member
    I really like brandon lilly and his programs are all well documented easy to find and laid out well. I wish stan effedin that’s probally spelled wrong had more material out there or if he does I can’t find it. Anyways I would trust bradon lilly and its all advanced from him. Plus he goes deep into how we don’t need Bands and chains how over time they can weaken instead of strengthen us since we overtime tend to rely on fancy equipment instead of true strength. Like the Russians ect... worth looking into.

Did u purchase his cube method or find online??

fbomb1990 is offline New Member
    For a fast boost in strength and stamina, give German volume training a shot. It kicks butt, and is a good swap for low rep training for a temporary period.

What DJ I search for? German volume training?

mario_ps2 is offline Associate Member
    Well I believe IME that the 5 x 5 is the best for strength gains..but not for hypertrophy... I'm working out with 505 and I been cutting and I have lost very minimal strength after losing 20 pounds of body-fat... I'm currently 230 and I'm not on the juice YET!!!!

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Yea the Cube is good. Lilly sort of takes Westside and makes it into something you can recover from haha. Westside didnt work well for me. 5x5 is good classic routine, I think more advanced lifters should substitute 3x5 or 5x3 instead; just my opinion. There are some insights from Stan in "Power" magazine. Stan Efferding is one of my favorite lifters. His approaches really makes sense to me. Like in essence training twice per week--bench every week, deadlift on week, squat the next and how he doesnt use any protein supplements but relies on real food. And I respect his impressive raw lifts. Ive thrown in the towel on all the gear and gone back raw.

Main thing is realizing that BB and PL are different sports and recovery is more important in PL. Ive done numerous splits, usually 3 day per week. Some of my best lifts were cutting out some accessory crap and lifting twice per week. You just come in so fresh and want to kill it. Just try everything, many top lifters train 4 days a week (didnt work as well as 3 for me).

I recently purchased the cube method. I am on day 4 now and so far so good I'm liking it a lot. Westside was good but left me beat down and tired all the time. It was to taxing on my CNS.

Thread Information