Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member

Bench Press Questions.

So I was watching the Paraolympics and benching from 2012 and the actual rules of competition benching would make a lot of college athletes cry I think lol. So here is my questions.

1. Where on the chest is the target?

My trainer in college always preached there are three spots on the chest to work...low middle and high. This is for flat bench. He said most of your natural power comes from working the bar from the xyphoid process. He said the nipples and about 3 inches above the nipples are the other two spots. Does anyone have any opinions on this. Currently I work from the xyphoid process spot because it is the same push as the decline bench to me...and I am VERY strong on it vs the other two spots.

2. High reps or negatives better. Any reason to choose 25 x 3 @ 130 over 12 x 3 @ 130 super slow motion? Do both?

Currently I do 8-8-5-3 reps on my 4 sets with the 3 rep being an attempt at a new max. When I go on cycle there is this newfound strength that is possessed and due to circumstances beyond my control the gym is limited in how much can be placed on the bar. I am looking at working from a 130 kilo on the bar max situation. Any reason to choose 25 x 3 @ 130 over 12 x 3 @ 130 super slow motion?

3. Proper breathing while doing heavy bench?

I inhale at the top, hold while lowering, exhale on the way up. Anything special to do at heavier weight?

graeme87 is offline Member
    arching you back and pushing your chest up limits the range of motion and bringing the bar to around the nipple area is best for most people. If you touch the bar too high up your chest you increase the distance the bar has to travel, lose tricep strength and make the elbow flare out a bit.

As an extreme example try (with light weights) pressing the bar to your collarbone and you'll see your form go to hell.

with regards to breathing a deep inhale and holding the breath is good to remain stable and the exhale as you press up. that's correct.

I would say your training is a little high in terms of reps though. what % do you work with?

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    I stick with a 3 rep max and do 90% of the weight

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    During a true powerlifting bench you would hold your breath for the entire set when doing 5 reps or less. A good arch, tucking the elbows and touching at the lower pec.

Thread Information