spoonta66 is offline Associate Member

Killer beef pattie recipe (low fat hamburger)

I came up with this recipe the other day when my butcher had extra lean ground beef on sale:

1kg premium low fat ground beef

1/2kg ground chicken breast

4 eggs

1/3 cup psyllium husks

12 pickled chillies chopped (this makes a medium burger, adjust to taste)

6 cloves garlic chopped

3 small onions chopped

1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon olive oil

Fry onion in a non-stick pan with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil on low heat untill soft, add garlic and heat for another 2-3 minutes.

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl with your hands until it is evenly mixed.

Make patties of whatever size you want and cook on a medium heat until cooked the way you like it. Medium to medium rare is best due to the lack of fat in the meat it can dry out if cooked too much.

The secret is the psyllium husks, they seem to hold in all of the meats juices while cooking and the result is amazing, juicy tasty burgers that will fit into most peoples diets.
    Last edited by spoonta66; 09-21-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Rya
    Rya is offline Junior Member
    I'm always confused when people use a cup value as a measurement, what if my cup is a different size???

How many gm is 1/3 of a cup? I've guessed 20g but that Could be way out.

Anyway, as im looking to add more variety into my diet i Decided to work out rough macro breakdown, Based upon the amounts you listed I came up with the following;

How many burgers do you generally make? On a guestimate total weight of 1.5kg I'd probably make 13 burgers (roughly 1/4lb each - uncooked)

Total values
    Calories : 2243
    Protein : 330
    Carbs : 30.3
    Fat : 76.1

per burger
    Calories : 173
    Protein : 25
    Carbs : 2.33
    Fat : 5.85

Compare this to tesco finest ( same weight uncoocked) which are;

Cal : 224
    Pro : 19.7
    Carb : 3.79
    Fat : 14.26

Making stuff like this really does make a difference!!! A little bit more expensive than just buying the burgers (maybe £1-2) but the cal etc diff makes the effort worthwhile

I'm going to have to give them a try!
    Last edited by Rya; 10-01-2011 at 06:41 AM.

spoonta66 is offline Associate Member
    Hi Rya,

If you go into any store that sells cooking supplies they will have measures for 1 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup and 1/4 cup. They are a standard unit of measurement and they will be the same in any country, I beleive the unit was designed for baking?

Pat403 is offline Associate Member
    I tried something pretty close the other day all the same stuff but in addition i really finely chopped up broccoli, cauliflower, green red and yellow bell pepper and mixed it in with the ground beef. I was concerned it wouldn't stick together but it did and surprisingly the the water from the veggies made the meat stay super juicy and moist as extra lean alway seems to dry out.

Thread Information