abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member

Top 10 All-time NFL running backs

No right or wrong here fellas. All opinions are welcome, just trying to stir up some debate.

1.) Jim Brown
    2.) Barry Sanders
    3.) Walter Payton
    4.) Ladanian Tomlinson
    5.) Emmitt Smith
    6.) Gale Sayers
    7.) Marshall Faulk
    8.) Bo Jackson (ewww, im gonna catch some shit for this one, lol)
    9.) OJ Simpson
    10.) Eric Dickerson

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    haha bo jackson

3 years in the league and you put him in your top ten? your nuts

Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    No right or wrong here fellas. All opinions are welcome, just trying to stir up some debate.

1.) Jim Brown
    2.) Barry Sanders
    3.) Walter Payton
    6.) Gale Sayers
    9.) OJ Simpson
    10.) Eric Dickerson
    7.) Marshall Faulk
    4.) Ladanian Tomlinson
    5.) Emmitt Smith

this is my revised list

Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    haha bo jackson

3 years in the league and you put him in your top ten? your nuts
    LOL! I know, i know. All I know is I have never ever seen anyone run like that (maybe highlights of Jim Brown), but other than that I have never seen anyone combine raw speed and power like Bo did....Hey I had to make it interesting, lol.........I wouldnt even have Emmitt on my list if he wasnt the all time yardage leader, had to put him in there on that fact alone.

yea thats why i had emmit last. due to that fact.

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    Man I had forgot all about Faulk till just now. Great call. Either way everyone on that list is legit. I see Peterson possibly cracking that list if he continues what he is doing but do you guys currently see any other Rb's currently playing that might make that list?
    Frank Gore?
    Steven Jackson?
    Brian Westbrook?

maybe frank gore if he can repeat the season he had like 2 years ago where he had 1600 rushing yards or so. if he can repeat that and keep it up for a few seasons then yea.

the other 2 wont have a chance if their offensive lines dont shape up and improve

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Ninja View Post
    Man I had forgot all about Faulk till just now. Great call. Either way everyone on that list is legit. I see Peterson possibly cracking that list if he continues what he is doing but do you guys currently see any other Rb's currently playing that might make that list?
    Frank Gore?
    Steven Jackson?
    Brian Westbrook?
    Yeah AP is where my idea for this list came from (see my AP thread), if he stays relatively healthy and plays 10 years or so, he could def move all the way up to #2 IMO. Wont pass Jim tho, in my eyes it will always be Jim Brown and everyone else. Gore and Jackson will need to play on better teams to eventually get up there. I think if Westbrook can stay in his peak for another 3 or 4 years he would def crack the top 10, he is second only to Faulk as far as RB/WR goes.

westbrook turns 30 next year. its downhill from there.

though im in philly. i just dont see him being anything extraordinary

oh and whats up abbot. ive already spent half that money i deposited last night on food. thanks bro!! lol.

^^^ I agree brotha, I avoid him at all costs in fantasy leagues, he is an injury waiting to happen. Tremendous talent but just to small of a frame and takes to many big hits to be considered one of the greats.

Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    oh and whats up abbot. ive already spent half that money i deposited last night on food. thanks bro!! lol.
    LOL! Good, nothing wrong with that I spend about all my money on food/supps/gear.

JAYROD is offline Senior Member
    not a bad list at all abbot but i would move the order around and pull out a few names. i think there would be alot of folks would think that earl campbell, tony dorsett, john riggens or franco harris should be on the top ten list but hey, there is only 10 spots so here is my top 10 from what i've seen and what i've heard from older fans.

1. jim brown (no question)
    2. barry sanders
    3. walter payton
    4. gale sayers
    5. emmitt smith
    6. tony dorsett
    7. eric dickerson
    8. earl campbell
    9. L.T.
    10. franco harris

Quote Originally Posted by JAYROD View Post
    not a bad list at all abbot but i would move the order around and pull out a few names. i think there would be alot of folks would think that earl campbell, tony dorsett, john riggens or franco harris should be on the top ten list but hey, there is only 10 spots so here is my top 10 from what i've seen and what i've heard from older fans.

1. jim brown (no question)
    2. barry sanders
    3. walter payton
    4. gale sayers
    5. emmitt smith
    6. tony dorsett
    7. eric dickerson
    8. earl campbell
    9. L.T.
    10. franco harris
    Yeah its hard, being younger we have to go a lot based on word of mouth and clips. Being from Ohio, I have seen and heard plenty about Jim Brown and Im convinced there. Dorsett and Campbell would have been my 11 and 12....I love Campbell, wish there were more back like him these days (Marion Mottley types), patient runners that would just look for someone to run over. It honestly looks like in some of Campbells clips that he is trying to find tacklers not avoid them. Kind of like Marion Barber and Fred Taylor run, I know Fred is old, but I love watching him run the ball when 100% healthy, he looks like he has a personal vendetta against everyone on the field. I hear Dorsett was probably the greatest college back of all time, not that he wasnt a great pro, but i just hear he was in a different league at Pitt....Unfortunately, also being from Ohio I have ZERO love for any Steelers, sorry Franco, lol. I would have had Marcus Allen after Campbell at 13..........From what I hear and what Ive seen in clips if Gale Sayers wouldnt have got hurt, he would have given Brown a run for his money.
    Last edited by abbot138; 10-02-2008 at 03:31 PM.

Cedric Benson?

Cedric Benson?
    LMAO! Good stuff. Yeah I left him and Ricky Williams off too. But there both definately honorable mention for top 10,000 rb of all time.

JAYROD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    Yeah its hard, being younger we have to go a lot based on word of mouth and clips. Being from Ohio, I have seen and heard plenty about Jim Brown and Im convinced there. Dorsett and Campbell would have been my 11 and 12....I love Campbell, wish there were more back like him these days (Marion Mottley types), patient runners that would just look for someone to run over. It honestly looks like in some of Campbells clips that he is trying to find tacklers not avoid them. Kind of like Marion Barber and Fred Taylor run, I know Fred is old, but I love watching him run the ball when 100% healthy, he looks like he has a personal vendetta against everyone on the field. I hear Dorsett was probably the greatest college back of all time, not that he wasnt a great pro, but i just hear he was in a different league at Pitt....Unfortunately, also being from Ohio I have ZERO love for any Steelers, sorry Franco, lol. I would have had Marcus Allen after Campbell at 13..........From what I hear and what Ive seen in clips if Gale Sayers wouldnt have got hurt, he would have given Brown a run for his money.

i really enjoy watching the smashmouth runners as well and i'm a dallas fan so i have no love lost for the steelers myself but franco was very good. i've always remembered my dad saying that gale sayers was the very best before he busted his knee and was still the best after. i love watching clips of the "kansas comet" man was sayers a bullitt!

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    1-Walter Peyton
    2-Emmit Smith
    3-Barry Sanders
    4-Jim Brown
    5-Ladainian Tomlinson
    6-Marcus Allen
    7-Marshal Faulk
    8-Earl Campbell
    9-OJ Simpson
    10-Bo Jackson (I dont care how long he was in the league, he was incredible)

testigator is offline Junior Member
    1. Brown
    2. OJ
    3. Emmitt. He is the all time leading rusher. Not flashy but he has the most yards of all time.
    4. Barry Sanders

I see a drop after those 4 and they can be any order other than moving Brown off the top spot.
    5. Dickerson
    6. Payton
    7. C. Martin
    8. Faulk
    9. Sayers (really much to do with hype but the highlights are awesome)
    10. Campbell
    11. Chuck Foreman
    12. Allen
    13. T. Dorsett
    14. T. Davis

I have a hard time putting players still in the game on the list.
    LT will move into the top 5 in my opinion. AD can end up anywhere he wants on this list as he is stupid good...its up to him. He might be hurt next year and he wouldn't crack the top 20 so he isn't in yet.

I think Terrel Davis and Martin do not belong on the list. Davis was amazing but not for long enough and Martin was incredibly durable but never elite in any one year.

fb4life is offline Junior Member
    i have to disagree. minus the fact that im a broncos fan...davis was a hell of a runner. hell he was in it longer than bo jackson!

WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    1-Walter Peyton
    2-Jim Brown
    3-Barry Sanders
    4-OJ Simpson
    5-Ladainian Tomlinson
    6-Gale Sayers
    7-Marshal Faulk
    8-Earl Campbell
    9-Emmit Smith
    10-Eric Dickerson

Yeah but Bo doesn't belong on the list either. Jamaal Anderson had one exceptional year and we aren't going to throw him up there. Shaun Alexander was exceptional for three to four years and he won't make the list either.

As sick as it sounds I am stoked to see "The Juice" at #4

Yeah but Bo doesn't belong on the list either. Jamaal Anderson had one exceptional year and we aren't going to throw him up there. Shaun Alexander was exceptional for three to four years and he won't make the list either.

As sick as it sounds I am stoked to see "The Juice" at #4
    I know, Im just basing it on what I saw when he was in there, not numbers, not longevity, just watching the man run the football was something special. I agree he doesnt TRULY belong in a discussion of the greatest, but if your talking most talented he def belongs. He had a hell of a lot more ability and talent then Emmitt Smith.....But you are right, based on numbers and seasons played he shouldnt be in there, but hey, i didnt want to have a boring list, so i threw him in there to stir up some debate, and I still to this day have not seen anyone in my time (late 80's thru current) that combined speed and power like Bo.

Herschel Walker?

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by war4BTT View Post
    1-Walter Peyton
    2-Jim Brown
    3-Barry Sanders
    4-OJ Simpson
    5-Ladainian Tomlinson
    6-Gale Sayers
    7-Marshal Faulk
    8-Earl Campbell
    9-Emmit Smith
    10-Eric Dickerson
    i like this list here and agree with it. if barry sanders kept playing yntil he was 33 he would now own almost every record and would be number 1 on this list. LT will probably be in the top 3 before his carear comes to an end
    source checks- 200 posts and 6 month membership min. entirely within my discretion
    PT is a fictional character and all posts are for entertainment purposes only.

I would put Brown and Sanders over Payton but a good list none the less. I honestly think LT is on the decline. That's just the feeling that I get. The injuries are becoming more and more frequent and it seems as if they might finally be taking a toll. He is crazy talented so who knows. He is good enough that he could stay healthy and end up at #1 but I feel like he is starting to decline.

Does anyone see any young backs in college that look like the next big thing?

huh?

I think Terrel Davis and Martin do not belong on the list. Davis was amazing but not for long enough and Martin was incredibly durable but never elite in any one year.
    While I understand this is all opinion...are we talking about Curtis Martin? The 4th all time leading rusher. Not an elite year?
    -OVER 14,000 YARDS. 4TH ALL TIME LEADING RUSHER.
    -10 years straight over 1000 yards. No big years 1487, 1287, 1464, 1204, 1513, 1308, 1697.
    -2004 lead NFL in rushing. I guess thats the big year you are looking for.
    -12th all time rushing TDs
    -10th all purpose yards. Great receiver out of the backfield

I think Martin belongs on the list and this is my reason plus watching him his entire career. Most of the players we have listed are great so its just opinion. This is mine and some facts to back it up. Just didn't agree with dimissing Martin as just "incredibly durable."

If you are going to say Martin can't make it because he isn't flashy enough...whats the problem with T. Davis. He would be the opposite of Martin. I'll stick with my list.

I stand by my list...

Martin is #11 if it makes ya happy...

Curtis Martin dated Toni Braxton. That was cool

Curtis Martin dated Toni Braxton. That was cool
    I forgot about T Braxton until I saw a dancing with the Stars commercial. Holly crap she is still so hot. Curtis Martin is now in my top 5! Sweet another stat for CM.

I stand by my list...

Martin is #11 if it makes ya happy...
    Yo war4btt, putting Martin at #11 "just for me" works out great because I didn't use anyone still playing for my top 10... if you take LT out of yours for the same reason that means Martin moves into your top ten and I can sleep better at night. So yes, you made me happy...and more well rested! Thanks buddy.

Lists are fun.
    Last edited by testigator; 10-14-2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: List has an s on the end when plural

^^ True!

LT will probably move up a few more notches once he retires anyway...

Love LT

^^ True!

LT will probably move up a few more notches once he retires anyway...
    LT has been my favorite player since he arrived in SD. Love him and its killing me to watch him be a shell of what he can be. He already holds a top 5 spot for me. I don't know a lot about toe injuries but it seems to me they should sit him for a couple weeks. Too many top pros have had to leave the game because of a toe. Then again, maybe he needs to get cut on in the off season. Or cut it off ala RLott or that kid that cut his pinky off this weekend in a D2 game. I can see Lott cutting it off because he is a pro getting paid but this D2 kid will never play anywhere after college.

I hear you on the D2 kid. Amazing heart and love for the game but maybe a foolish idea in the whole scheme of things.

Anaholic is offline Associate Member
    1. Jim Brown
    2. Emmitt Smith
    3. Barry Sanders
    4. Walter Payton
    5. O.J. Simpson
    6. Earl Campbell
    7. Eric Dickerson
    8. Gale Sayers
    9. Marshall Faulk
    10. Marcus Allen

Thread Information