Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    stlhrse is offline Junior Member

break it down simple like

I've been trying to ask questions about diet and supplements and such and each answer I get just creates another question. So here goes again, I am 33, 225 Lbs. and 6' tall. I want to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. I workout with weights at least three times a week and try to do cardio at least three times a week. I'm pretty sure I need to be taking whey protien, BCAAs and creatine, but what else. I don't have a ton of money to blow on supplements, but I want to get the core products that will help me toward my goals. My diet is getting better everyday, as I learn more. Still don't have a routine locked in stone yet, but today I had tuna and one sandwich for lunch instead of two lean pockets and a soft drink. I was going to buy some Waxy Maize for PWO, and then also either glutamine or luciene. I've read comments from different people that take either one after WO, but never saw anyone take both. Which one is more effective to add to PWO and bedtime. What do they do? I didn't want to start three or four new threads just to get these questions answered. I'm not a postwhore. I just want to get what I need to lose fat and gain muscle and not buy any crapp I don't need.

thanks,
    Doug

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Lossing weight is all about caloric restriction. If you want to cause the body to loss fat you have to do it in a way that doesnt cause the metabolism to be retarded due to excessive exercise or reduction in caloric intake. The body is extremely resistant to starvation and will fight back as hard as it can to prevent a state of famine in the body. thats why most experts will say to reduce your caloric intake by about 500 a day versus baseline. Then after 12 weeks reduce it again. 12 weeks is not a magic number it is the average time that it takes the body to adapt to diet or exercise. By adapt I mean that what your doing will no longer be effective in producing the results you want. You need to change the stimulus so that the body is forced to change again. As far as supplements there are tons of fat burners and protien powders and things like that but it really boils down to strict adherence to diet and exercise. meaning no cheat days were you eat a whole pizza or skip a day of cardio. If you dont you waste tons of money on supplements that are suppose to augment your diet and training.

UpstateTank is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience
    Lossing weight is all about caloric restriction. If you want to cause the body to loss fat you have to do it in a way that doesnt cause the metabolism to be retarded due to excessive exercise or reduction in caloric intake. The body is extremely resistant to starvation and will fight back as hard as it can to prevent a state of famine in the body. thats why most experts will say to reduce your caloric intake by about 500 a day versus baseline. Then after 12 weeks reduce it again. 12 weeks is not a magic number it is the average time that it takes the body to adapt to diet or exercise. By adapt I mean that what your doing will no longer be effective in producing the results you want. You need to change the stimulus so that the body is forced to change again. As far as supplements there are tons of fat burners and protien powders and things like that but it really boils down to strict adherence to diet and exercise. meaning no cheat days were you eat a whole pizza or skip a day of cardio. If you dont you waste tons of money on supplements that are suppose to augment your diet and training.

^^
    what he said too!

Quote Originally Posted by stlhrse
    I've been trying to ask questions about diet and supplements and such and each answer I get just creates another question. So here goes again, I am 33, 225 Lbs. and 6' tall. I want to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. I workout with weights at least three times a week and try to do cardio at least three times a week. I'm pretty sure I need to be taking whey protien, BCAAs and creatine, but what else. I don't have a ton of money to blow on supplements, but I want to get the core products that will help me toward my goals. My diet is getting better everyday, as I learn more. Still don't have a routine locked in stone yet, but today I had tuna and one sandwich for lunch instead of two lean pockets and a soft drink. I was going to buy some Waxy Maize for PWO, and then also either glutamine or luciene. I've read comments from different people that take either one after WO, but never saw anyone take both. Which one is more effective to add to PWO and bedtime. What do they do? I didn't want to start three or four new threads just to get these questions answered. I'm not a postwhore. I just want to get what I need to lose fat and gain muscle and not buy any crapp I don't need.

thanks,
    Doug

Hopefully I can answer some of your questions...
    Concerning building muscle and burning fat at the same time, they are best left seperated...ie if you want to build muscle then you bulk, and if you want to drop fat than you cut. imo i think it would be best that you first cut...that is concentrate on preserving the muscle that is already there while dropping the fat...when you cut you're in a calorie deficit to begin with so its not the best time to be packing on pounds of muscle

the supplements you have listed-protein, creatine and bcaas i think are sufficient for you right now. Taking any other supps is basically going to be a waste because you're not going to get your $$'s worth from them because you dont have your diet set in stone yet (although you're on the right track)...I'm pretty sure ive said b4 (and sorry if i sound like a broken record) but supplements arent miracle drugs the overwhelming majority of your "battle" will be won on diet.

Adding the waxy maize into your pwo shake would be a good thing...ive never used glutamine before so i cant help you there, and lastly leucine is one of the 3 amino acids that comprise bcaa's (leucine, isoleucine, and valine) so adding leucine in when you're already taking bcaa's would be repetitive (although i have seen people take only leucine b/c is the one that "triggers" the most muscular growth)

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UpstateTank
    Hopefully I can answer some of your questions...
    Concerning building muscle and burning fat at the same time, they are best left seperated...ie if you want to build muscle then you bulk, and if you want to drop fat than you cut. imo i think it would be best that you first cut...that is concentrate on preserving the muscle that is already there while dropping the fat...when you cut you're in a calorie deficit to begin with so its not the best time to be packing on pounds of muscle

the supplements you have listed-protein, creatine and bcaas i think are sufficient for you right now. Taking any other supps is basically going to be a waste because you're not going to get your $$'s worth from them because you dont have your diet set in stone yet (although you're on the right track)...I'm pretty sure ive said b4 (and sorry if i sound like a broken record) but supplements arent miracle drugs the overwhelming majority of your "battle" will be won on diet.

Adding the waxy maize into your pwo shake would be a good thing...ive never used glutamine before so i cant help you there, and lastly leucine is one of the 3 amino acids that comprise bcaa's (leucine, isoleucine, and valine) so adding leucine in when you're already taking bcaa's would be repetitive (although i have seen people take only leucine b/c is the one that "triggers" the most muscular growth)

Totally agree with that

notorious_mem is offline Senior Member
    you two knock it off.lol

Quote Originally Posted by notorious_mem
    you two knock it off.lol
    hater

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious_mem
    you two knock it off.lol

I second that motion! Quit it or else...

But yeah, MuscleScience and UpstateTank hit the nail on the head for ya stlhrse.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I just started thyroid medicine cause I have been sluggish and gaining weight. So, I'm trying to get my diet changed and wait for this medicine to kick in and get leveled out, and THIS SUCKS!!! I want to build muscle sooo bad. I'm sick of my body looking so flabby. My girlfriend's personal trainer told her to do more weights to burn the fat because the muscle built from weights would more efficiently burn the fat than doing more cardio. I dhould just do some gear and get huge monstrous muscles then I won't notice my flabby belly. Would doing something like myogenx and increasing testosterone help me get more muscle growth and burn more fat?

Thanks for the info guys
    Doug

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I just started thyroid medicine cause I have been sluggish and gaining weight. So, I'm trying to get my diet changed and wait for this medicine to kick in and get leveled out, and THIS SUCKS!!! I want to build muscle sooo bad. I'm sick of my body looking so flabby. My girlfriend's personal trainer told her to do more weights to burn the fat because the muscle built from weights would more efficiently burn the fat than doing more cardio. I dhould just do some gear and get huge monstrous muscles then I won't notice my flabby belly. Would doing something like myogenx and increasing testosterone help me get more muscle growth and burn more fat?Thanks for the info guys
    Doug
    No Doug,

Your looking for an easy answer, think about if having an amazing body like some ppl on these boards was easy.. Don't ya think everyone would look good?

This is wat seperates the haves from the have not's will and desire..

You need to have the Desire to change

bump

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    thanks,
    Doug
    Doug,

Forget supplements except a multivitmin and bcaa's and possible whey protein..
    The answer to your question is simple DIET, cardio and proper training..

What else did you eat today?

Meal for Meal can you list it that would be easier to show where you need adjusments...

ie meal 1 1 cup of oats 8 egg whites..

Meal 2 etc.

Thread Information