edgarr is offline Member

Fish Oil and Flax

I have done some research and most agree that high doses of fish oil is great for you 30-50g. But my question is, what if I am also taking high doses of Flax? I am on a high pro/fat diet and taking at least 4 tablespoons of flax oil with meals daily. Do I still take 30-50 fish oil or bring that down to 20 or so?

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    If you're looking for EFA's in your diet, you'd be much better off sticking with the fish oil, or even adding nut based oils, and ditching the flax.

Flax will have some health benefits, but it's not ideal for bodybuilding purposes, as it makes a poor conversion to EPA/DHA, and our bodies simply don't possess the enzymes to properly process it.

edgarr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post
    If you're looking for EFA's in your diet, you'd be much better off sticking with the fish oil, or even adding nut based oils, and ditching the flax.

Flax will have some health benefits, but it's not ideal for bodybuilding purposes, as it makes a poor conversion to EPA/DHA, and our bodies simply don't possess the enzymes to properly process it.
    Well I use it for the fat as it has 14 grams per tablespoon. I do replace it from time to time with avocados, almonds, salmon, etc

D7M
    Blog Entries
    Preferred fat sources:

Extra virgin olive oil
    Pecan oil
    Walnut oil
    Avocado oil
    Almond oil
    Hazel nut oil
    Macadamia nut oil

^All of those have 14g fat per tbsp, and are a much better source of fat than flax.

good luck.

edgarr is offline Member
    ^^^ Thank you. So how much fish oil should I take if I am getting 56g of fats from these sources??

D7M
    Blog Entries
    Depends on what you want your daily fat intake to be at...

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    How the hell do you get 30g of fish oil a day?? that would cost like 25$ a day wouldnt it?? I take a fish oil cap thats 500mg DHA 250 EPA 4 times a day. that bottle is 21$ for 180 i believe, is there a cheaper way?

edgarr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel View Post
    How the hell do you get 30g of fish oil a day?? that would cost like 25$ a day wouldnt it?? I take a fish oil cap thats 500mg DHA 250 EPA 4 times a day. that bottle is 21$ for 180 i believe, is there a cheaper way?
    Liquid

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    IDK im having trouble finding a fish oil that will provide that much without having to chug half a bottle a day. Also I read that DHA is the most important, so if you get 3g of DHA a day its jsut as effectice as getting 5x of EPA and ALA

Thread Information