Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!

L-Arginine increase GH and IGF (New Study)

J Strength Cond Res. 2010 Apr;24(4):1082-90.

Arginine and ornithine supplementation increases growth hormone and insulin -like growth factor-1 serum levels after heavy-resistance exercise in strength-trained athletes.
    Zajac A, Poprzecki S, Zebrowska A, Chalimoniuk M, Langfort J.

Department of Sports Training, Academy of Physical Education, Katowice, Poland. [email protected]

Abstract
    This placebo-controlled double-blind study was designed to investigate the effect of arginine and ornithine (arg and orn) supplementation during 3-week heavy-resistance training on serum growth hormone/insulin-like growth factor-1/insulin-like growth factor-binding protein 3 (GH/IGF-1/IGFBP-3), testosterone , cortisol, and insulin levels in experienced strength-trained athletes. The subjects were randomly divided between a placebo group (n = 8) and the l-Arg/l-Orn-supplemented group (n = 9), and performed pre and posttraining standard exercise tests with the same absolute load, which consisted of the same exercise schedule as that applied in the training process. Fasting blood samples were obtained at rest, 2 minutes after the cessation of the strength exercise protocol, and after 1 hour of recovery. The resting concentrations of the investigated hormones and IGFBP-3 did not differ significantly between the study groups. In response to exercise test, all the hormones were elevated (p < 0.05) at both time points. Significant increases (p < 0.05) were observed in both GH and IGF-1 serum levels after arg and orn supplementation at both time points, whereas a significant decrease was seen in IGFBP-3 protein during the recovery period. Because there was no between-group difference in the remaining hormone levels, it appears that the GH/IGF-1/IGFBP-3 complex may be the major player in muscle tissue response to short-term resistance training after arg and orn supplementation.

PMID: 20300016 [PubMed - in process]

Both GH and IGF increased around 1/3 more after resistance training in the supp. group.

Arginine just got added to my PWO shake...

Andro9 is offline Member
    I... believe... EVERYTHING i read.. lol just kidding man

OH REALLY is offline Banned
    nice post

americanoak is offline Member
    read an article about this a little while ago
    actually started supp with arginine also. There are i think like 3 forms of it though, and L-Arganine alone is the least effiecient. You might wanna look up and see which one the body absorbs the easiest. Sorry i cant rmemeber the name right now. I think it also said it had to be doses around 5-9g a day

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifto View Post

Arginine and ornithine supplementation increases growth hormone and insulin -like growth factor-1 serum levels after heavy-resistance exercise in strength-trained athletes.

Department of Sports Training, Academy of Physical Education, Katowice, Poland. [email protected]

Abstract
    This placebo-controlled double-blind study was designed to investigate the effect of arginine and ornithine (arg and orn) supplementation during 3-week heavy-resistance training on serum growth hormone/insulin-like growth factor-1/insulin-like growth factor-binding protein 3 (GH/IGF-1/IGFBP-3), testosterone , cortisol, and insulin levels in experienced strength-trained athletes. The subjects were randomly divided between a placebo group (n = 8) and the l-Arg/l-Orn-supplemented group (n = 9), and performed pre and posttraining standard exercise tests with the same absolute load, which consisted of the same exercise schedule as that applied in the training process. Fasting blood samples were obtained at rest, 2 minutes after the cessation of the strength exercise protocol, and after 1 hour of recovery. The resting concentrations of the investigated hormones and IGFBP-3 did not differ significantly between the study groups. In response to exercise test, all the hormones were elevated (p < 0.05) at both time points. Significant increases (p < 0.05) were observed in both GH and IGF-1 serum levels after arg and orn supplementation at both time points, whereas a significant decrease was seen in IGFBP-3 protein during the recovery period. Because there was no between-group difference in the remaining hormone levels, it appears that the GH/IGF-1/IGFBP-3 complex may be the major player in muscle tissue response to short-term resistance training after arg and orn supplementation.

Both GH and IGF increased around 1/3 more after resistance training in the supp. group.

Question-why is ornithine combined with arginine? Any scientific reason?

I take arginien alone but would try to find a combo if I could figure out why they go together so nicely. I actually used to take the GNC one back in the day but figured the ornithine was just a throw in or something.

Billytk03z is offline Member
    what are the best times to dose arginine/orthinine...... also with food or without?

6ft5 is offline Member
    I used to sup with L arginine. But now just about all pre workout drinks have a lot of L arginine in them. I belive that is what causes the NO pump in most of them. I don't see a reason on extra doses of it. Unless you need it on an off day without a drink. Just my .02

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    I would seem raising GH levels 33 percent (1/3) is a pretty big deal .....

bunktown is offline Junior Member
    This is really old it may be a new study but arginine has been used for years to raise growth hormone levels a little bit. It was really popular before 2002, then the whole nitric oxide products killed its popularity. I recomend this to alot of people. You need 10-20 grams a day and take it before bed on empty stomach. You should start off slow because the arginine might upset your stomach. Most people start 5 grams, then 10 grams, 15 grams, then 20 grams. 10-15 grams tend to work for alot of people, due to the amount being taken arginine powder is the best. Also another good product to throw in this cocktail is gaba powder 3-5 grams work for most. Start with a lower dose and move up because gaba will cause very vivid dreams and some people get a warming sensation from it. Remember needs to be taken on empty stomach before bed.

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifto View Post

Abstract

Agreed.
    When natural I used arginine experimenting several types of training regimes and each time all the BW I took confirmed that study.

You meant before WO!

palevein is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigslick7878 View Post
    Question-why is ornithine combined with arginine? Any scientific reason?

I take arginien alone but would try to find a combo if I could figure out why they go together so nicely. I actually used to take the GNC one back in the day but figured the ornithine was just a throw in or something.
    I believe it's to help properly buffer the Arginine into the urine

Thread Information