macario111 is offline New Member

what should i buy???

hey guys, jus curious as to what is really good out there. ive been lifting for 10 month and have seen really good gains since ive never worked out before this. but lately its jus been gettin harder and harder to get my upper body bigger and stonger so im curious as to what supplements i can take to help speed the process??? im 23yr old. 207lbs. @ 5'10". 10months of gym and currently only taking mega mens sport vatamins on work out days. gym only 4 times a week. thanks!!!!

NBRD1808 is offline Associate Member
    before adding any supplements revisit your diet to ensure that it is up to scratch and suplying you with enough calories across protein, carb and fat areas to ensure you are continually in a positive nitrogen balance. you could try posting it up in the diet section meal by meal with a complete macronutrient breakdown, people will criteque it for you. Just as a quick indication im slightly taller than you and weight the same, you need to be taking in around 3,800-4000 cals.

Thats great that you have been able to see good progress over the last 10 months but now comes the time where you need to modify your training to ensure you continue to place stress on you muscles and force them to grow. The training section has a great range of program templates you can look over and you can post up your current routine for people to criteque.

once you are confident that the above two areas are dialed in some supplements you cant go past are whey protein powder, creatine (theres many different versions, i just stik with monohydrate) and branched chain amino acids

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    x2^^^^

Look at diet.

a good weight gainer, micronized creatine monohydrate, and BCAAs

Quote Originally Posted by NBRD1808 View Post
    before adding any supplements revisit your diet to ensure that it is up to scratch and suplying you with enough calories across protein, carb and fat areas to ensure you are continually in a positive nitrogen balance. you could try posting it up in the diet section meal by meal with a complete macronutrient breakdown, people will criteque it for you. Just as a quick indication im slightly taller than you and weight the same, you need to be taking in around 3,800-4000 cals.

Thats great that you have been able to see good progress over the last 10 months but now comes the time where you need to modify your training to ensure you continue to place stress on you muscles and force them to grow. The training section has a great range of program templates you can look over and you can post up your current routine for people to criteque.

once you are confident that the above two areas are dialed in some supplements you cant go past are whey protein powder, creatine (theres many different versions, i just stik with monohydrate) and branched chain amino acids
    dam!!! i guess i need to be educated on dieting. to be honest i havent really done a strict diet, pretty much eat whenever i get hungry. the only thing ive changed is junk food and soda. guess ill be headin to diet forum for some pointer. thanks guy i really do appreciate all the advice, this is the first time ive ever worked out n it is truly life changing. all adivise is listened to, not in one ear out the other. sad to say but when i started lifting i was 232lbs and weaker than shit. my bench was 65lbs (big for nothin) now at 155sets and 185 max@ 4-6times. still not much but discent gains for 10months

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I may have a clue, if my deductive powers of observation don't have low batteries.... but you said your "upper" body has hit a plateau? Why did you say "upper"? Are you not working out your "lower" body? I may be redundant here, so please bear with me. Your lower body has the largest muscles. If you are not spending half your time on your lower body, you are totally NOT going to hit your potential!! If you really want to signal your body to GROW, then you need to do that by exercising the hell out of your legs, and that means squats. If you are not totally ripping your legs apart by squatting, you should add that to your routine as soon as possible.

Diet is key mate, when you get that dialed in you will be surprised at the progress you will make when combined with a solid training program. If 'Times Roman' is correct with his assumption about your training program neglecting the dreaded 'squat' then re-read his post and add it in immediately.

If you head over to the training forum and your head begins to spin regarding which program to choose select one that is based primarily on excercises such as: Squat, bench, deadlift, military press, bar bell row.

Your 10 months into training and from your posts you appear to be somewhat serious about it all. Dont worry about fancy technical programs at this point all the compound excercises listed above will result in some very pleasing results in the months to come

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I may have a clue, if my deductive powers of observation don't have low batteries.... but you said your "upper" body has hit a plateau? Why did you say "upper"? Are you not working out your "lower" body? I may be redundant here, so please bear with me. Your lower body has the largest muscles. If you are not spending half your time on your lower body, you are totally NOT going to hit your potential!! If you really want to signal your body to GROW, then you need to do that by exercising the hell out of your legs, and that means squats. If you are not totally ripping your legs apart by squatting, you should add that to your routine as soon as possible.
    Gosh ur right about your asumption, I really have been neglecting my legs. I recently just added legs into my routine as of last week and lemme tel you it was quiet pityfull. I did squats at 135lbs and my leggs felt like butter at the 8th rep. I kept it pretty short and simple since I wasn't used to it but I do plan on leg workouts from now on. Thanks a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by NBRD1808 View Post
    Diet is key mate, when you get that dialed in you will be surprised at the progress you will make when combined with a solid training program. If 'Times Roman' is correct with his assumption about your training program neglecting the dreaded 'squat' then re-read his post and add it in immediately.

If you head over to the training forum and your head begins to spin regarding which program to choose select one that is based primarily on excercises such as: Squat, bench, deadlift, military press, bar bell row.

Your 10 months into training and from your posts you appear to be somewhat serious about it all. Dont worry about fancy technical programs at this point all the compound excercises listed above will result in some very pleasing results in the months to come
    lol i jus took a trip to diet forum and ur right about my head spinning. everything there is really complicated so i think ill just stick with something basic for now. ill be checkin out the training forum next to see what i can find or do to change it up a bit.

ok so this is what i got so far....... create a diet that works for me, should be rich in protien.... work more consistent with lower body..... and look into whey protien powder shakes. my next question is which is a good quality brand as far as protien shakes go?

Quote Originally Posted by macario111 View Post
    my next question is which is a good quality brand as far as protien shakes go?
    costco sells a quality whey isolate 6lbs = $30. I get the choco flav just for the 'ell of it.

Gosh ur right about your asumption, I really have been neglecting my legs. I recently just added legs into my routine as of last week and lemme tel you it was quiet pityfull. I did squats at 135lbs and my leggs felt like butter at the 8th rep. I kept it pretty short and simple since I wasn't used to it but I do plan on leg workouts from now on. Thanks a bunch
    Big 5 has the total body works 5000 for $140. At full incline with 4 bands, one legged squats are intense (but ONLY if you go for the ENTIRE full range of motion... start with your arse parked on the back of your heals, all the way up, then all the way back down til your arse touches the backs of your heals once more... and NO bouncing!!).. benefit is no pressure on neck, back (huge bene for us older bulls with back probs). I've outgrown mine, since I'm doing a 50 lb plate behind the head, full incline, 4 bands, and one legged squats. Next would be a 100 lb plate behind, but I'm already pushing the stated weight limit since I already weigh 230. I saw the same equipment on Craigslist the other day for $40. If you dont like or can't do traditional squats, this is good middle ground.
    Last edited by Times Roman; 07-06-2010 at 11:30 AM.

one of the most beneficial stickies in the diet forum i found when i was learning how to construct a diet was the 'unofficial how to bulk thread and sample diet' by lean me out. Takes you through step by step on how to calculate your calories based on your height and current weight. Then from there just select the appropriate portion size protein, carb and fat sources and your good to go

dam!!! i jus checkin out the one leg squat one you tube and can say im most definitly not ready for that yet. ill be checkin out craigslist too so thanks for the tip. thanks to everyone who posted a response, uve been a great help

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member

Lightbulb

hey guys, jus curious as to what is really good out there. ive been lifting for 10 month and have seen really good gains since ive never worked out before this. but lately its jus been gettin harder and harder to get my upper body bigger and stonger so im curious as to what supplements i can take to help speed the process??? im 23yr old. 207lbs. @ 5'10". 10months of gym and currently only taking mega mens sport vatamins on work out days. gym only 4 times a week. thanks!!!!
    I like CREATINE and BETA ALANINE.

Quote Originally Posted by **** View Post
    I like CREATINE and BETA ALANINE.
    Creatine is great! BCAA's are good, if not already sufficiently represented in your whey isolate.

ProEvoDanny is offline Junior Member
    No-xplode, creatine, whey, bcaas

8iron is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    costco sells a quality whey isolate 6lbs = $30. I get the choco flav just for the 'ell of it.
    Me too! Love costco, have egg whites, and huge bags of skinless chicken breast

sean_holland is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iron View Post
    Me too! Love costco, have egg whites, and huge bags of skinless chicken breast
    Same here...buy that same stuff. Good Price, I got two on the fridge at home and two in the shop.

As for the TS, Whey & Creatine are a must.

and this will sound silly, but as I sit here bouncing back and forth between my sets and posting here, I have this big bottle of squeeze honey I use before each set. Keeps my energy levels up... focused....

^^^ haha good work. i was feeling drained the otherday whilst doing deadlifts, my daughter has a jar of the rasberry drops kinda like boiled lollies, i snacked on a couple of them whilst lifting and it gave me a decent little burst of energy

ObviousDecoy is offline New Member
    Personally I keep it simple and only take a supplements that are proven effective or at least a broad consensus across the community.

Multivitamin - Animal Pak but there are many similar that are good. I'd toss out those Mega Men.

Creatine Monohydrate - Basically a commodity so any will do

EFAs - I like Scivation

Whey Protein - I get EAS cheap from Costco

I've considered BCAA's but I haven't had the patience to wade through all the information and make a decision.

yowhatupU is offline Junior Member
    I would suggest just continueing to read up online to see what seems to suit you best (as it seems you have been doing) sorry for the slightly obvious answer.

Protein powder is a must for almost all bodybuilders
    Almost all like creatine (it makes some too bloated though)
    If you want more energy an energy supplement (I like Black Mamba's but they are extremely strong, so be careful)
    You should also probalby be taking a multi-vitamin (I would suggest some generic from rite-aid or save-on, I'm not a big fan of the Animal "multi-vitamins", there just are too many ingrediants)

hope that helps
    good luck

Thread Information