Thread: Vitamin D

jwh7699 is offline Member

Vitamin D

I have read a lot of good things about Vitamin D.

How many milligrams are you taking in?

ml87 is offline Associate Member
    what did you hear about it? i take D3 for immune support mostly. they come in 500-5000iu, i take 5000iu/day plus whatevers in my multi. when your sick or about to get sick (start the first sneezes), you take 3x 5000iu capsules daily which is now called "the new vitamin c" because they are finding that it is shortening colds much faster than things like emergen-C and airborne.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    i take 2000iu/day

ml87 is offline Associate Member
    good news is you really cant take too much.. toxicity is rare along with sides

JJW1986 is offline New Member
    Although toxicity is rare, 5,000 IU is on the upper intake level and it's not always best to think more is going to be better. Current research suggests between 1,000 - 4,000 IU daily for optimal health. Your body only absorbs and utilizes what it needs at that time of day and if there is too much of something, it finds it useless and ultimately discards it as waste. So basically try your best to spread out your doses throughout the day no matter what intake you decide on.

Potential health effects of vitamin D that have been discovered and are constantly being researched include: bone health, higher immune system function, decrease in cardiovascular disease, and even aid in preventing and fighting some forms of cancer.
    Last edited by JJW1986; 08-14-2011 at 10:02 AM.

There was an article in Men's Health saying that it promotes a decrease in body fat, especially belly fat, and helps lower blood pressure. It also says most people have a deficiency in Vitamin D without even knowing it. I ordered 2000mg. Looking forward to trying it out!

JJW1986 is offline New Member
    You may also want to include a calcium & magnesium supplement, as both those dietary minerals go quite well with vitamin D. And hopefully you're able to spread out your dosage at least a couple of times a day.

Well, enjoy! You typically can't go wrong with vitamins and minerals.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwh7699 View Post
    There was an article in Men's Health saying that it promotes a decrease in body fat, especially belly fat, and helps lower blood pressure. It also says most people have a deficiency in Vitamin D without even knowing it. I ordered 2000mg. Looking forward to trying it out!
    Yeah there was asutdy that showed 95% of population were vit d defficient. Actually my doc referenced it when going over my last bloodwork. He told me to supplement 1000iu/day or they have a script that is taken once a moth for a massive dose of vit d. I now take 2000iu /day. After this i looked into vit d more - its actually a pre-hormone and converts to steroidal hormones in the body. It play a role in sex hormone sysnthesis and many with low test are advised to take viatmin d as there seems to be a direct correspondace between levels of vit d and test up to a point.

Also of note - you keep sayng mg - its iu - there is a major diff so you want to make sure its just a typo and u r really taking 200IU's NOT 2000mgs (which im sure isnt even avail)

My bad! Do you take 1000iu 2xday or 2000iu 1xday? Thanks!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JJW1986 View Post
    You may also want to include a calcium & magnesium supplement, as both those dietary minerals go quite well with vitamin D. And hopefully you're able to spread out your dosage at least a couple of times a day.

Well, enjoy! You typically can't go wrong with vitamins and minerals.
    Its unecessary to spread out dosage of vit d. Its fat soluable and any excess is stored - that why there is even the potential for toxicity. Where as water soluable vitamins are used as needed and simply excreted in our urine.

Blog Entries
    My bad! Do you take 1000iu 2xday or 2000iu 1xday? Thanks!!!
    2000iu / 1x day

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Its unecessary to spread out dosage of vit d. Its fat soluable and any excess is stored - that why there is even the potential for toxicity. Where as water soluable vitamins are used as needed and excesssimply excreted in our urine.
    fixed

Thanks!! Probably a separate topic, but I read DHEA is fat soluble, so is it only necessary to take 1 x day?

Blog Entries
    Thanks!! Probably a separate topic, but I read DHEA is fat soluble, so is it only necessary to take 1 x day?
    Little deceptive. SUPPLEMENTAL dhea converts to dhea sulfate in the digestive tract (intestine) which IS water soluable and has a very short active half life. If you choose to supplement with dhea you should split the dosage 2-3x /day.

Thanks!!! Lot of different info out there on DHEA dosage. How much do you recommend?

Blog Entries
    Thanks!!! Lot of different info out there on DHEA dosage. How much do you recommend?
    I personally dont recommend dhea unless you are an older male (40's + ) with low endegenous hormone levels (determined via bloodwork). If u want to supplement I would say 50mgs/day split into 2 - 25 mg doses.

Bobby Budds is offline New Member
    This stuff is great for you so don't be afraid to take 5000 iu a day. Most doctors and health guidelines say 2000-3000.

About VIT D toxicity I used myself as a guinea pig. 200 lbs with 20% BF.

I was taking 6300 iu a day for a year and had my bloodwork done. I think the test limit was between 80-200 with 200+ being toxic. I was still near 80. So I figured bump it up to 11300 IU a day. Tested myself 6 months later and I was at 180. I'm sure I was able to handle so much because my bf is 20%. Might be easier to go toxic with lower bf.

So now I'm taking my 6300 IU a day. The reason 6300 is I take a 5000 + 1000(included in cal-mag) + 300 in my multi. I find this to be just the right amount. I'm waiting for my vit d blood work to return so I'll let ya know results.

Everett is offline New Member
    Sun light is the major source of vitamin D.
    Vitamin D: Rickets, arthritis, tooth decay, bone repair, immunity,
    blood pressure, diabetes
    Personal Training St Kilda
    Last edited by Everett; 08-20-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Thread Information