NEFLRick is offline Associate Member

Potassium and Lisinipril

I'm on lisinipril (sp?) for my BP. Been thinking of adding some K supplements due to some muscle spasms I've been having to see if that might help out. However, I've read there may be issues with taking extra K supplements with certain medications with lisinipril being one of the listed meds.

Since it's such a PITA to get to talk to a doctor, I was wondering what the concerns are. I mean, lisinpril has a diuretic in it, which was causing a low K situation for me when I first started it. So not quite sure why it would be a problem taking a supplement for it with this med.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Are you on lisinopril and hydrochlorothiazide combo drug? Lisinopril increases your potassium now lowers it. Now the hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic, but a very mild one. Have you had your blood work done? Now with diuretic like lasix (Furosemide) it will lower your potassium. I would get a blood test and see where you are first. Try to eat foods that are high in K before going to a supplement for potassium. I dont know if you know this but to much potassium can effect your heart, in surgury they use it to stop your heart. This is just MHO, but see if there are other causes to your muscle spasms. If you are just on lisinopril then dont take it due to the drug has a side effect of increasing your K. Oh you should be checking your BP several times a day and keeping a log of your BP. That is very useful information for nurses and your pcp. again, JMO

NEFLRick is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes it is the combo drug. When I first started it, I had low k problems and added more oranges to my diet--bananas aren't my thing and they have quite a bit of k in them. I also eat too many potatoes (also high in k).

I also do know high k is really bad as well as when it's low. I had my 6 week bw done last week waiting on results, however, in looking at my original bw, I don't see k listed so I'm not sure they tested for it. Have to get a separate test.

As for the muscle spasms, my trt doc told me not to inject HCG in my belly as that can (sometimes) cause the spasms. I've been looking everywhere/asking around to see if there is any info on this and I can't find anything. He did say it immediately and with such conviction it seems like he has seen it before. I am going to try injecting elsewhere but it's so much easier doing it in my belly (for all of the obvious reasons). I'm just preparing myself just in case that doesn't solve the problem--and I'm skeptical that it will. The only other thing I can think of is k being low. Which brings me here.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    repost this in trt area along with your blood work. someone smarter than i can help you better

Thread Information