Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hammerheart

Thread: Acetyl-l-carnitine (ALCAR)

hammerheart is offline Knowledgeable Member

Acetyl-l-carnitine (ALCAR)

Has anyone tried this or any carnitine in any form of supplement?

I'm curious what your individual responses are, I've always been pretty skeptical about it but had the chance to grab it for a bargain price and I don't regret it one bit, I can only speculate why but as low as 500mg it's helping a great deal with my chronic asthenia by providing almost sub-normal (though short-lived) muscular responses, I can also feel much more heat generated even with light exercise.

DocToxin8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Fuck me, does carnitine cause elevated body temp as well?
    I use it all the time but never thought about that, or knew it did.
    But i struggle a lot with getting too hot when having sex. It's actually come to the point where I'm figuring about making some sort of suit packed with ice cubes or something. I'm sure Marcus can help me with this, he knows his gas masks at least.

But yeah, carnitine. I simply use it to prevent atherosclerosis.
    Any effect it might have on muscle or fat tissue I'm not sure about.
    (Though I have a hard time getting fat, even if using long acting insulin )

I got some carnitine tartrate powder. I can step up dosage and see what 2G/day for 14 days does and report back.

I struggle to understand how you can have heat issues up there in Norway, what temp do you keep houses at?

As for me you know I have unusual responses to anything, but as for carnitine it can be related to a potential B12 issue I might have (check out the TRT section). The methylmalonate accumulation seen in cobalamin deficiency can trigger secondary carnitine deficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzarro View Post
    I struggle to understand how you can have heat issues up there in Norway, what temp do you keep houses at?

As for me you know I have unusual responses to anything, but as for carnitine it can be related to a potential B12 issue I might have (check out the TRT section). The methylmalonate accumulation seen in cobalamin deficiency can trigger secondary carnitine deficiency.
    I keep the bed room at 18C, but open the window during sex and it's about -3 to 0C outside, so it's pretty warm right now.

Hm, B12 defiency triggering carnitine defiency, interesting.
    Carnitine seems to help with everything in exhaustion.
    Pregnant women lose less hair with carnitine supp. f.ex.

When I supplemented with pure L-carnitine (not tartrate), and used too much,
    (Up to 5g a day) I suffered one dreadful side effect;
    I noticed that body odor from intimate places began to smell like fish.
    Frequent showers alleviated the problem, but needless to say I lowered the dosage. I don't know if this happens as easily with the tartrate form.
    (But am afraid it might)
    Cause I think the reason is that carnitine gets broken down to trimethyl-amine, which is a very foul smelling chemical.

Interestingly, even though trimethylamine is associated with increased atherosclerosis in animal experiments, with humans on carnitine the opposite is true. Or rather, carnitine seems to override any negative effect TMA (and TMAO) might have on vascular function.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25636076/

Having a tartrate molecule means the total carnitine content will be lower comparing to the same l-carnitine dose.

Other than that, it's legitimate to expect it will make you smell like a fisherman again.

Have you ever tried riboflavin?

You know correlation doesn't mean causation - might be indeed that TMA can be a factor but it's difficult to assess quantitatively, whereas carnitine has been showed to help with CV health.
    DocToxin8 likes this.

With carnitine tartrate I haven't gotten the fishy odor BO even with overdose, that I got from pure l-carnitine.
    Wouldn't recommend pure l-carnitine either, to unstable;
    The dry powder soaks up water from the air. Very noticeable.
    The tartrate form is stable. Same as ALCAR.

Thread Information