Thread: calves

sker is offline New Member

calves

yes, calves.... I am working out calves only once a week. Can I work out calves three times a week? I want them to show more, what are the best excersices for them.

Sker.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    I get good resutls by working calves EOD, i do 6-12 sets, and i do both low and high reps, red fibres ones you hit with high reps will only get so big, every see distance runner with big legs? So i do some low reps work too to hit the white fibres. I used to do same as diesel and high reps only but added a few low reps days into mix and have gotten even better results. Also do lots of different things, for example i do this from time to time, 100 reps, but in sets say 30 1st set, rest just long enought for the burn to start to stop then go again continue like this until you get to 100. then limp out of the gym...

MrMuscle is offline New Member
    I do calves togheter with abs on tuesdays

Standing calf raise: 4 sets 25 reps
    Single leg calf raise: 4 sets max reps

And on saturday, with legs

Seated calf raise: 4 sets 30 reps
    Leg Press calf raise: 4 sets 20 reps

Jenna is offline Female Member

Re: calves

Originally posted by sker
    yes, calves.... I am working out calves only once a week. Can I work out calves three times a week? I want them to show more, what are the best excersices for them.
    I do calves 3 times a week. And I go extremely heavy so that they POP out when I get my pump!

<<<< JENNA >>>>

sker is offline New Member

calves

bottom line, I should be doing calves more than once a week. thanks for the great info fellas and ladies

Like always, this is a great forum!!!

llbeastcd is offline Associate Member
    LI, NY... where it seems like everyone is on gear.
    Love the 100 rep set. I do those every month or so. Normally, do em heavy, low rep, strip the weight, higher rep, strip again, higher rep. Three cycles of this usually does the trick.

superbeast is offline Member
    Originally posted by Diesel
    IMO, Calves should be done twice a week. As far as exercises, Standup, seated, and donkey raises are all good. Another thing I do is single leg raises with no weight.
    Also, I know some will not agree with this, high reps is best. Think about it. Out of all the muscles in your body, your calves are the most abused daily. Low reps, no matter how much weight you are pushing will not completely break down the muscle.
    I will partially agree and partially disagree Diesel.
    The soleus, which is the muscle worked doing seated calves, responds best to high reps, but not the gastro. The soleus is the muscle that is stressed any time the knee is bent at all. It is made up of mostly slow twitch fibers, thus it takes high reps to thoroughly work it. The gastro has mostly fast twich fibers and responds better to a moderate rep range, like most other muscles. When I say high reps for the soleus, I'm talking like sets of 50 on the seated calf.

Mr. Trenton is offline Associate Member
    I do my calves twice a week, once on Tuesday's after back and once on Thursday's after shoulder's. I do seated calf raises and standing Smith machine calf raises. My rep range is between 20-30 reps but I go very heavy since I have huge calves due to soccer. I think they're about 19 inches now, not exactly sure.

lethalppl is offline Associate Member
    dude those are huge19" i'm jealous. My biggest problem is my calfs. to embrassed to tell my size. i do seated, barbell, and leg press machine. heavy all 3 low reps trying to make my calfs look bigger.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I hit mine twice a week HEAVY to failure, unfortunetly the standing calf machine in my gym only goes to about 480lbs (we use Kgs here so I'm guessing) so failure is normally 12,13,14 reps. But I want these cattle popping.

Thread Information